Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
I am thinking of going full iPad only as an office set up once iPadOS 16 is out (extended screen support), plus, if the next IPP has a landscape camera. So I am interested in what hardware people use in a similar set up? I am thinking the trackpad is a good idea or would a magic mouse be better?

My thinking is I can plug my widescreen monitor in and use that as an extended display, use a keyboard and mouse (thinking no gesture support or a trackpad and mouse maybe too cumbersome).

I would have MK and pencil - any other must have hawrdware people swear by?

And before anyone tries to convince me it won't work, I have a MBA and a MBP and neither excite me or are nearly as versatile as an IPP.

Reactions: outlawarth

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I am thinking of going full iPad only as an office set up once iPadOS 16 is out (extended screen support), plus, if the next IPP has a landscape camera. So I am interested in what hardware people use in a similar set up? I am thinking the trackpad is a good idea or would a magic mouse be better?
I'm doing the full iPad setup (enjoying Stage Manager at the moment) ... I do have a Mini-WindowsPC I use on standby, but that's mostly for server purposes. But to answer your question... Trackpad is much better primarily for the gestures. I did the Magic Mouse for about a year which was alright... but the trackpad took it to a different level.

My thinking is I can plug my widescreen monitor in and use that as an extended display, use a keyboard and mouse (thinking no gesture support or a trackpad and mouse maybe too cumbersome).

I would have MK and pencil - any other must have hawrdware people swear by?
In my case, I keep the iPad and MK connected via USB-C to my monitor which helps to avoid Stage Manager delink... that was one thing I noticed when using Stage Manager in the beginning which is an external keyboard and mouse needs to be connected in order to use SM on an external monitor.

But if you keep the MK and iPad connected when using an external monitor... SM stays visible. I use a Keychron Keyboard along with the Magic Trackpad... I do have a Samsung T7 for transferring purposes whenever need be.
And before anyone tries to convince me it won't work, I have a MBA and a MBP and neither excite me or are nearly as versatile as an IPP.
Yup. Main reason why I went with an iPP over an MBA and MBP is because of its versality. It's exciting to have a tablet transform into a laptop when connected to MK, then that transforms into a desktop when plugged into a monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.