Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSC123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
As the title suggests, I accidentally clicked on a scam email link. I realised my mistake almost instantly and closed the tab before it had time to load. Shortly thereafter, I went to use spotlight to search the term "Malwarebytes Anti Malware", though for some reason typing this phrase crashes spotlight consistently without fail. Spotlight also seems to crash randomly when searching unrelated phrases, though the only search term that crashes it 100% of the time is the aforementioned.

Prior to this incident, I hadn't noticed any issues with spotlight - though since I rarely use it, and typically for short search terms, it's possible that this issue was there previously. I haven't noticed any other problems, everything else is normal. I've run multiple scans with Avast and Malwarebytes, all of which have turned up clean.

Though perhaps it wasn't the wisest idea, I opened the link on my phone. The reason for this is because as far as I'm aware email scams will either be malware or phishing - in the latter case I'd be safe. Also since iOS attacks are extremely rare, I figured it would be relatively safe (perhaps it was unwise?). Anyways the link redirected me to an article about some BS guaranteed return trading service, quite clearly a phishing website. So what is the likelihood that the link contained both malware AND phishing, and not just the latter?

To be honest, I'm really not sure what to think. I haven't noticed any issues other than the weirdness with spotlight search. I don't know how to identify whether or not my Macbook is infected beyond running antivirus and anti-malware scans, which all turned up clean. Does anyone have any idea what I could/should do in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Don't worry, unless you have installed AND run an executable from the sketchy link. A simple webpage is not, as of today, a viable attack vector on a Mac. Every single piece of Mac malware out there requires at least some level of user cooperation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.