Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpyroTheSavage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
So I was trying to install Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro (2011). I made a new partition in Disk Utility and called it BOOTCAMP (For my Windows) As I'm planning to use Windows a lot from now on, I decided to make it take up a lot of the space. I resized the partition where my OSX High Sierra is (let's call that partition Macintosh HD) to just 80gb of the 320gb available storage I have.

After finding out that I couldn't install Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro I went ahead and deleted BOOTCAMP partition. Here comes the problem. Now my Macintosh HD partition still says 80 gb even tho the Toshiba Hard Drive says I have 320gb.

I restarted my Macbook into recovery mode, and went in to Disk Utility again. Then I accidentally deleted my Toshiba Disk along with the Macintosh partion, and created a new Toshiba Disk but only with 80 GB!!! Where the hell did the 240GB of internal harddrive go?! I supect it's in free space, but I'm no expert. So I really need some help. Can I do something in terminal or do I might as well toss this computer out?

Also I haven't installed OSX High Sierra on my new 80 gb hard drive, but I'm able to if nessecary. THX FOR READING! x)

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When erasing or partitioning, are you selecting the partition or are you clicking on the disk?

Attachments

• du.jpg
    du.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 873

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Hope you have a backup.

Things might go better if you put together an EXTERNAL drive with a copy of the OS on it that is "bootable to the finder".

You need either an external hard drive OR a USB flash drive 16gb or greater.

Connect either one.
Next, boot to internet recovery.
You should get the installer "up and ready", but don't use it yet.
Quit the OS installer and open Disk Utility.
"Aim" DU at the external drive and initialize it for HFS+ with journaling enabled
When that's done, quit DU and re-open the OS installer.
Now, "aim" the installer at the EXTERNAL drive (NOT at the internal drive).
Does it install onto the external?
If so fine.

Now, set up the external with a basic account that you can get booted to the finder.

Can you get this done?
If you can do this, you can then "turn towards" the internal and begin working on it.

Suggestion:
DON'T muck with BootCamp again. You see what doing so has done for you.
Unless you absolutely, positively have-to-have native Windows bootability, it might be a better choice to run Windows via an "emulator" such as Parallels or WMWare Fusion. There is also a free option out there.

Reactions: jemii

Husky29

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
Western Cape, South Africa
Go to Recovery and click the "view" button in Disk Utility and select Show All Devices. Click the actual drive which should be at the very top of the list and called Toshiba something something 320GB etc etc... and then click Erase. Use whatever name such as Macintosh HD and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use GUID Partition Map. Once it is done it should have one partition that is the whole drive. (320GB) Then you will have to exit and click Install macOS. Or restore from a Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.