Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Alright. I recieved my first Mac - the Mac Mini - just seven hours ago. And I am totally lost. Though, I accidentally erased the 'Macintosh HD' from the Finder sidebar when I dropped it at the desktop, now Spotlight can't find it.

How can I get it back? I tried installing Mac OSX with the disc but that didn't bring back anything. I'm panicking here lol. =(

joeinid

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2010
I don't think you erased it ...

just removed it from your desktop. I'm not in front of a mac right now but there is a preferences menu where you can show icons on the desktop/finder. Check your menus and look for preferences.....

Good luck.

Anastacio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Denmark
Yea, I just found out through some Yahoo answers =/ I feel like such a "noob" lol, but I gotta start somewhere. Suddenly I'm in love with my Mac Mini again, it's pretty simple when I get the hang of it. Now I just got some trouble with Plex and its skins... hehe.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Yea, I just found out through some Yahoo answers =/ I feel like such a "noob" lol, but I gotta start somewhere. Suddenly I'm in love with my Mac Mini again, it's pretty simple when I get the hang of it. Now I just got some trouble with Plex and its skins... hehe.
I think just about everyone does that at some point when starting with OS X... well, at least I know I've done it too. :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Haha it's true. The terminal is very useful and powerful, as long as you read how to use them correctly!

Do you have any good "tutorials" or manuals in mind and maybe have a link or three for them?

Anastacio, also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Maybe. Why lol :p

I've been using Mac OS X for more than a week now, coming up to six I think, and want to sudo away all time, and ls doesn't cut it anymore. I can hardly go by with man, but it is still hard to ping I guess, so any documentation for ipconfig /all knowers you might have on your side of the world, could be interesting and challenging.

Btw, do you know the saying: Australia is getting as close to hell without getting burnt? Or is that just some TV crap (Lost)?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I've been using Mac OS X for more than a week now, coming up to six I think, and want to sudo away all time, and ls doesn't cut it anymore. I can hardly go by with man, but it is still hard to ping I guess, so any documentation for ipconfig /all knowers you might have on your side of the world, could be interesting and challenging.
there are tons of articles :)

Btw, do you know the saying: Australia is getting as close to hell without getting burnt? Or is that just some TV crap (Lost)?
no lol. never ever heard of that. its cold atm. 20°C in the day in winter! im freezing my a$$ offf!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
man it first, just incase. ;)

Right after I mount Jane.

wooaah. id kill for 28°C :) sahara @ night for you by the sounds of it ;)

And Arctic and Antarctic by day. My parents kept me outside as a baby, so they could smoke inside the house, thus I'm trained for cold temperatures. 9°C and I'm wearing a T-shirt, 30°C and I'm nude, thus I can't go outside. Therefore I'm building my own underground network to travel to wherever I want to go. And some terminals need to be had too. ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Right after I mount Jane.
what an odd skit. silly pom shows. use this

And Arctic and Antarctic by day. My parents kept me outside as a baby, so they could smoke inside the house, thus I'm trained for cold temperatures. 9°C and I'm wearing a T-shirt, 30°C and I'm nude, thus I can't go outside. Therefore I'm building my own underground network to travel to wherever I want to go. And some terminals need to be had too. ;)
haha we have been over this before :) 30°C is hardly hot! sook. ;)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
what an odd skit. silly pom shows. use this

It's not the best skit, this one is a better example. 1 and 2, but it is not everyone's cup of tea. Maybe some League of Gentlemen can cure that?

Do you know any good Australian/NZ comedy besides those Umbilical Brothers? I really dig the the dialects of that part of the world, a reason why I liked Farscape so much.

haha we have been over this before :) 30°C is hardly hot! sook. ;)

Yes we have, but it almost never gets old. Maybe I just visit NZ instead of Australia, the people over there are thought to me more lovely than the cranky Australians anyway. ;)

Which reminds me, I have a friend who visited NZ some time ago and met some people there from Germany (where she is from). They later met each other in Berlin and I was invited too (with another friend, who visited NZ too, but only for two weeks or so, the others all spend half a year there). That short visit friend and me had the strange feeling we would take part in some group therapy session, as they recounted their favourite spots and localities. As I was once in a drug rehab, I thought of all the people (including me) who recounted their favourite drug habits. Strange, very strange. But I got out in time. Both times. :)

So, I have to go to work now, I'm putting it off long enough.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Do you know any good Australian/NZ comedy besides those Umbilical Brothers? I really dig the the dialects of that part of the world, a reason why I liked Farscape so much.
Carl Barron, the TV show Good News Week (VERY hard to get your head around if you dont get aussie humor), hmm what else. ill sleep on it.

Yes we have, but it almost never gets old. Maybe I just visit NZ instead of Australia, the people over there are thought to me more lovely than the cranky Australians anyway. ;)[/quote]
def come to australia. :D

So, I have to go to work now, I'm putting it off long enough.

ok go go go ! cant be late :) ttyl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.