Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deefletch

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
Yup. Me too. Was writing some quick emails in some downtime at an event yesterday, and had to abandon the process because of this problem. It's not just inconvenient - it's if you are dumping thoughts to your keyboard, once dumped the thoughts kind of leave your mental stack. I was scared of forgetting what I'd said. It's easier to have the thoughts welling up, waiting for a chance to write email, than it is to rewrite the same paragraph three times without the former versions to refer to.

This is pretty rubbish tbh.
I just want to say that l took my iPad into an Apple Store, having made an apt online with one of the techies at the stores Genius Bar, and cos it was within warranty they replaced it straight away. Tell everyone!
[doublepost=1464718247][/doublepost]
I'm having this issue to the point of making me extremely frustrated. I'm having to relearn an approach to typing on the touchscreen to avoid skating my fingers over the surface. I was hoping some configuration of the Accessibility options would fix it, but can't see any advice to that effect.

I just want to say that l took my iPad into an Apple Store, having made an apt online with one of the techies at the stores Genius Bar, and cos it was within warranty they replaced it straight away. Tell everyone!
[doublepost=1464718278][/doublepost]I just want to say that l took my iPad into an Apple Store, having made an apt online with one of the techies at the stores Genius Bar, and cos it was within warranty they replaced it straight away. Tell everyone!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1464718247][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1464718278][/doublepost]I just want to say that l took my iPad into an Apple Store, having made an apt online with one of the techies at the stores Genius Bar, and cos it was within warranty they replaced it straight away. Tell everyone!
How does that change the ability to use the keyboard as a trackpad and thus for some people to accidentally do something that they didn't intend to do? Unless you are saying the device you had was somehow more sensitive to things than it should have been and/or was doing things it shouldn't have been and that was behind it all, in which case that might certainly be a solution, it just depends if something like that is actually the case and if it's the case for other experiencing this type of thing as well.

paulor

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2016
Just to add my voice to this issue as it prevents me from doing any lengthier piece of writing on the iPad Pro as I constantly find myself accidentally selecting text and overwriting it. The cause is the (IMHO) useless feature that multi touch on the keyboard enables a draggable text selection tool. Why can't this just be made optional, in the same way as autocorrect?! Then all our problems would be solved. Deeply frustrating.

sortapundit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I'm the original poster. Shortly after making the thread last September I returned to the previous OS and have stuck with it for a year. A few days ago I decided to update, assuming that Apple couldn't possibly fail to fix such an obvious issue in a year.

Nope. It's still there. I still can't type more than a few sentences without accidentally highlighting and deleting the preceding text, and I find it hard to believe that there are only a few of us who type quickly/clumsily enough to occasionally touch two fingers to the screen at the same time. I find it incredible that subsequent updates haven't included an option to switch off this feature.

Since updating I've been using my Microsoft bluetooth keyboard to avoid the problem, but it's not all that convenient to pull out a second device whenever I want to tap out a quick message. I hate to say it but this will be the last iPad I'll buy. If they can't be bothered to fix this in a year I'll give my money to someone else.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I highly recommend the TapTyping training app. The trackpad feature in iOS 9 is incredibly useful, and it's probably not going away anytime soon. As you rightly point out, your technique is to blame.

TapTyping - typing trainer suite by Flairify LLC
https://appsto.re/us/rsDTv.i

For those of us old enough to have had typewriter class in school, two fingers hitting keys at the same time caused an actual mechanical jam. You learned quite quickly to not do that!

Reactions: willmtaylor

sortapundit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I highly recommend the TapTyping training app. The trackpad feature in iOS 9 is incredibly useful, and it's probably not going away anytime soon. As you rightly point out, your technique is to blame.

TapTyping - typing trainer suite by Flairify LLC
https://appsto.re/us/rsDTv.i

For those of us old enough to have had typewriter class in school, two fingers hitting keys at the same time caused an actual mechanical jam. You learned quite quickly to not do that!

I see your point, but the idea of retraining to overcome a design flaw isn't something I'm willing to do. I learned to type on mechanical typewriters and later electronic word processors, and from an early age I learned that accuracy was vital. When I started using the iPhone nine years ago I found that I could type much faster without the necessity of pinpoint accuracy thanks to autocorrect, which would usually keep me on track even when I struck two keys simultaneously. When I got my first iPad I adopted this faster, sloppier method completely, and have since written more than a dozen novels using Pages, totalling well over a million published words.

For better or worse this is the way I type now. The behaviour is deeply ingrained and has been reinforced over several years of typing up to 18 hours a day, and it would take much more than an app to undo that training. More importantly, though, it shouldn't be necessary. My typing method worked for many years, and it has only become potentially catastrophic (I've lost several pages of a book that later became a bestseller) thanks to a tweak by Apple that could be easily fixed with a simple on/off switch in the settings menu. I hate to sound like an entitled ass but my iPad should work to my requirements. The user shouldn't have to adjust their behaviour to find workarounds for limitations intentionally placed on the device.

They've had a year to fix this, and it's an issue that affects plenty of users if this thread is anything to go by. Time's up, and I'm off to find another device.

Reactions: xoAnna

sortapundit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Pages. It usually works just fine, but every so often the undo feature fouls up and doesn't log the most recent inputs.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Pages. It usually works just fine, but every so often the undo feature fouls up and doesn't log the most recent inputs.

Pages is basically not under active development. I would suggest moving to a current, professional app designed for long-form writing, like Scrivener. Word would also be a better choice, Microsoft has done a good job porting most of the desktop features over to the iOS version, while making it touch input based.

sortapundit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Fair point. I take the path of least resistance when it comes to my writing. I do all of my editing and formatting on my laptop, so I just need a simple, basic word processor that allows me to save .doc files. Pages does that fine, so I've never bothered to look for an alternative that offers all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: M. Gustave

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Fair point. I take the path of least resistance when it comes to my writing. I do all of my editing and formatting on my laptop, so I just need a simple, basic word processor that allows me to save .doc files. Pages does that fine, so I've never bothered to look for an alternative that offers all the bells and whistles.

My only issue with Office and Scrivener is there lack of iCloud sync support... Really stops me from being able to use them.

Sfkjeld

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
I'm the original poster. Shortly after making the thread last September I returned to the previous OS and have stuck with it for a year. A few days ago I decided to update, assuming that Apple couldn't possibly fail to fix such an obvious issue in a year.

Nope. It's still there. I still can't type more than a few sentences without accidentally highlighting and deleting the preceding text, and I find it hard to believe that there are only a few of us who type quickly/clumsily enough to occasionally touch two fingers to the screen at the same time. I find it incredible that subsequent updates haven't included an option to switch off this feature.

Since updating I've been using my Microsoft bluetooth keyboard to avoid the problem, but it's not all that convenient to pull out a second device whenever I want to tap out a quick message. I hate to say it but this will be the last iPad I'll buy. If they can't be bothered to fix this in a year I'll give my money to someone else.
[doublepost=1474161355][/doublepost]I am with you. Might be the most annoying "feature" I've ever seen. I am close to selling my new iPad Pro. It is just too frustrating. I guess the people at apple are too busy posting Visa payments to address this asinine bug. Someone posted that old typewriters would jam when two keys are struck simultaneously. Is that an excuse? How about a switch to turn that idiotic feature off?

Sfkjeld

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
No, it was a description of how I learned to do something.
Sorry, I thought you were implying that since old typewriters had this glitch and because you changed your typing to accommodate it, we should should do the same for the iOS keyboard. all I am saying is that there should be an on/off switch for this "feature".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry, I thought you were implying that since old typewriters had this glitch and because you changed your typing to accommodate it, we should should do the same for the iOS keyboard. all I am saying is that there should be an on/off switch for this "feature".
It should be. But until Apple decides to implement that (if it ever happens), it won't be.

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I am also having this problem on my iPad pro, and it's really frustrating because the keys are very big and I discovered that it doesn't have anything to do with hitting two keys at the same time: I ran a lot of tests, and it's enough to hit two separate keys quickly enough to trigger this problem. It really is something that hinders good typists.
I wonder if there are decent keyboard replacements for ipad that don't have this issue and that are not horribly buggy and laggy... my experiences have generally been horrible.

Tcgoelz

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
I am surprised at how few people are commenting on this thread. It is such a problem for me that I can't use my iPad to write more than a few words. I have to put it down and get my phone, which is pretty crazy.

One thing I am hoping/wondering -- Is everybody here using iOS 9.0? I accidentally put 9.0.1 on mine, when trying to get the GM build. I am hoping the reason I am not hearing too much about this is because it's a bug limited to that beta. Either that, or us few type differently to the rest of humanity.

I thought I was doing something wrong. So glad (and yet so sad) to see that others are having same annoying experience. I am on 10.1.1. Not sure when this started but I am still dealing with it.
[doublepost=1484928129][/doublepost]Incredibly frustrated by this as well. Currently on 10.1.1 and no improvement or fix yet. May need to bite the bullet and jump off the Apple train and rejoin my PC/Droid friends.

I am astounded that something as specifically identified as this has not been addressed by the wizards at Apple.

Sfkjeld

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
I don't think this happened in old os versions. I have been using iPads since they came out. This is a result of a 'feature' added in the past year or two. Probably something about selecting text from a keyboard. Stunning that they cannot give users a method to turn it off. It's a real PIA.

Tcgoelz

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Def not in older versions. Started for me in the last year or so, though I was not currently updated for a while. Others mentioned it started with 9.0.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't think this happened in old os versions. I have been using iPads since they came out. This is a result of a 'feature' added in the past year or two. Probably something about selecting text from a keyboard. Stunning that they cannot give users a method to turn it off. It's a real PIA.

Def not in older versions. Started for me in the last year or so, though I was not currently updated for a while. Others mentioned it started with 9.0.
Yes, this feature was introduced for iPads with iOS 9, just as it was also introduced for iPhones that support 3D Touch. On iPads it doesn't use 3D Touch, and it doesn't seem like there are controls for its sensitivity or enabling/disabling it unfortunately.

Sfkjeld

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks, I didn't know it had a name. 3D Touch, huh? Should be 3D Randon Text Deleter.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, I didn't know it had a name. 3D Touch, huh? Should be 3D Randon Text Deleter.
Well, 3D Touch isn't the name for this feature, it's a software and hardware feature that some devices support, primarily iPhone 6s and later iPhones. On the iPhones this keyboard selection feature is activated using 3D Touch (which is used for all kinds of other purposes), while on the iPads Apple made it so that that keyboard selection feature can be used without 3D Touch.

aulay01

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2015
I commented on this thread a year ago and agreed it was a serious aggravation. I got a email reminder that the post was live and realised that I no longer have the problem -and am using the same device (iPad Air MD729B/A) albeit some iOS updates down the line (currently not quite up to date with 10.0.2). I just tested it being careful to hit multiple fingers on the (keyboard part of the) screen at once, and produced no select-delete-gone scenario. On my device the "feature" no longer exists. I can select individual words but touching them on the "screen" part of the screen, but no amount of poking the keyboard with any number of fingers selects text.

I am unable to explain why, assuming others still with the problem have updated their iOS, or offer any helpful advice ...

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hey, I'm using a 12" iPad Pro running 10.2 and I still have this problem. Can you please perform a test on yours to check if you can reproduce it?
Open a new note in the Notes app and write a word, then stop and leave the cursor right after the last letter. Wait a couple of seconds and then using your index and middle finger hit the O and K keys on the keyboard very quickly one after the other (the order doesn't matter). In my experience 99% of the time the last action selects the entire word, so if you keep on typing you overwrite it. It might be that apple has shortened the time needed to trigger this action so you experience it less frequently, but it still happens to me and a switch to turn it off would be much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.