Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
hi, i have been meaning to start a thread, several stability issues have been getting to me since the 10.4.3 update.

first of all i can repair the premissions 100 times and every time the same permissions will have to be changed, even if i repair them straight after previosusly doing it. it isnt just a few permissions, it is loads, most of them applar to be dashboard widgets but there are also other ones that i cant tell what they are......

leading to problem number 2 - this morning, several problems arise (will come to in a min) so i try to repair the permissions - i get the message

"Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

No valid packages"

any idea what this means??? where the hell have my packages gone?!!! just to clarify how i repair permissions i DO NOT do it through the tiger disk as that would use old permissions from 10.4.0

next - for the past few days spotlight doesnt show up results in my external firewire hard drive. i have not told it not to look there. i have tried reindexing everything - maybe this will resolve the problem

finally (i think) i am having several 'visual' problems in the finder. it is more what i would call flaky behaviour and hence causing me to try repairing permissions. if i say delete a few files in the finder, the blue outline (that surrounts the name of the file) well some of it will be left behind - even when the files have repositioned themselves. i hope you understand what i mean but i cant get a screen shot of it now as its not happening today!

i think that are most of my problems, so any idea on how to resolve them?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
russed said:
first of all i can repair the premissions 100 times and every time the same permissions will have to be changed, even if i repair them straight after previosusly doing it. it isnt just a few permissions, it is loads, most of them applar to be dashboard widgets but there are also other ones that i cant tell what they are......

I've had the same on all seven or so machines that I service so I wouldn't worry about it. They predominantly relate to the widgets (as you say) and the Dock. I'd be interested to hear if there's a 10.4.3 user who doesn't get the same though.

russed said:
leading to problem number 2 - this morning, several problems arise (will come to in a min) so i try to repair the permissions - i get the message

"Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

No valid packages"

any idea what this means??? where the hell have my packages gone?!!!

Has it worked since? On your hard drive there should be a folder called Library (not your user's Library). Is there a folder within that called Receipts? Does it have anything in it? If this is just a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it.

For what it's worth, I've repaired permissions (by mistake) on a 10.4.3 machine using a Panther disk with no problems. Of course, once I realised what I'd done, I repaired them from Disk Utility straight away and got the usual abundance of errors and fixes with nothing out of the ordinary.

russed said:
next - for the past few days spotlight doesnt show up results in my external firewire hard drive. i have not told it not to look there. i have tried reindexing everything - maybe this will resolve the problem

If reindexing doesn't help, then try removing com.apple.spotlight.plist from the Preferences folder and restart. If this doesn't help, then feel free to put it back where it was and restart again. Of course, this file can be deleted safely with only your Spotlight preferences being lost and they're generally not too hard to set up again.

russed said:
if i say delete a few files in the finder, the blue outline (that surrounts the name of the file) well some of it will be left behind - even when the files have repositioned themselves. i hope you understand what i mean but i cant get a screen shot of it now as its not happening today!

Weird. How bad is it? Is it quite prominent? Do you have any theme changing apps or hacks installed? Do you use anything from Universal Access? :)

In general, I wouldn't be too worried about your problems at the moment. Sure they're annoying, but they don't sound like warnings for any major failure or corruption at this stage. Maybe post a copy of your repaired permissions all the same, just to make sure you don't have anything odd in there.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
mad jew said:
I've had the same on all seven or so machines that I service so I wouldn't worry about it. They predominantly relate to the widgets (as you say) and the Dock. I'd be interested to hear if there's a 10.4.3 user who doesn't get the same though.

thats good to know that this is a problem with .3, not just me!

mad jew said:
Has it worked since? On your hard drive there should be a folder called Library (not your user's Library). Is there a folder within that called Receipts? Does it have anything in it? If this is just a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it.

For what it's worth, I've repaired permissions (by mistake) on a 10.4.3 machine using a Panther disk with no problems. Of course, once I realised what I'd done, I repaired them from Disk Utility straight away and got the usual abundance of errors and fixes with nothing out of the ordinary.

the repairing permissions problem is still occuring - its basically not happening, still giving the same error message. in the folder you mention - there is 4 installation logs and nothing else - is that the problem? if so how do i rectify it? if it is possible?

mad jew said:
If reindexing doesn't help, then try removing com.apple.spotlight.plist from the Preferences folder and restart. If this doesn't help, then feel free to put it back where it was and restart again. Of course, this file can be deleted safely with only your Spotlight preferences being lost and they're generally not too hard to set up again.

reindexing appeared to solve that problem thankfully - you dont realise how useful spotlight is for launching apps till its not there!

mad jew said:
Weird. How bad is it? Is it quite prominent? Do you have any theme changing apps or hacks installed? Do you use anything from Universal Access? :)

In general, I wouldn't be too worried about your problems at the moment. Sure they're annoying, but they don't sound like warnings for any major failure or corruption at this stage. Maybe post a copy of your repaired permissions all the same, just to make sure you don't have anything odd in there.

i have no visual hacks installed. i do beleive this problem only happened after 10.4.3, i dont use universal access either. it doesnt seem that bad, it is just annoying really, you have to close the window and reopen it to get rid of it. i will try and post a screen shot of it next time it happens.

i would post a shot of my repaired permissions if i could!!!

thanks for the help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
russed said:
the repairing permissions problem is still occuring - its basically not happening, still giving the same error message. in the folder you mention - there is 4 installation logs and nothing else - is that the problem? if so how do i rectify it? if it is possible?

Uh oh. There are meant to be many little packages with names similar to your apps and such. This is why your permissions won't repair and I have a feeling that fixing the permissions problem will help the crazy Finder GUI thing too. Are you sure that your receipts folder is empty save for those logs? This is reasonably bad news. You have two choices. The main culprit is the lack of BaseSystem.pkg so you can either reinstall your system (archive and install if you have the space so you won't lose any files) or get this file from another Mac running 10.4.3. I don't know what to do about the other receipts though. At a guess, I'd say you could also copy these from another Mac however no guaranties.

If you want, PM with an email address and I can send you whatever files you like. My BaseSystem.pkg is 1.9MB FWIW. Id say just this single file is a good place to start and we can work on the others afterwards.

Of course, this is assuming that file isn't anywhere on your Mac already because ideally you'd simply put it back into the Receipts folder, repair the permissions again and maybe restart just for fun.

Here's what Apple has to say on the matter. :)

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
mad jew said:
Uh oh. There are meant to be many little packages with names similar to your apps and such. This is why your permissions won't repair and I have a feeling that fixing the permissions problem will help the crazy Finder GUI thing too. Are you sure that your receipts folder is empty save for those logs? This is reasonably bad news. You have two choices. The main culprit is the lack of BaseSystem.pkg so you can either reinstall your system (archive and install if you have the space so you won't lose any files) or get this file from another Mac running 10.4.3. I don't know what to do about the other receipts though. At a guess, I'd say you could also copy these from another Mac however no guaranties.

If you want, PM with an email address and I can send you whatever files you like. My BaseSystem.pkg is 1.9MB FWIW. Id say just this single file is a good place to start and we can work on the others afterwards.

Of course, this is assuming that file isn't anywhere on your Mac already because ideally you'd simply put it back into the Receipts folder, repair the permissions again and maybe restart just for fun.

Here's what Apple has to say on the matter. :)

there is definatly nothing in that folder other than the installation thingys. it would be really good if you could send me the file - i have PM'd you.

i presume therefore that if there are meant to be lots of other files in the folder that other applications etc will be missing them? shoud i start reinstalling the programmes again? it really isnt a good time for a full reinstall at the moment!

i have done a search for that file and its not showing up anywhere.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
russed said:
i presume therefore that if there are meant to be lots of other files in the folder that other applications etc will be missing them? shoud i start reinstalling the programmes again? it really isnt a good time for a full reinstall at the moment!

Yeah, pretty much each app and some other random things (like AirPort and languages for instance) should have a file in there. I've sent you the base system one which is a start and we can go from there. If you need more, then I can try to help out but I'm not certain that using mine would be okay for the apps. It's fine for the system but considering we'd have different apps and different preferences it may not work which is why I've only sent you the single file.

Hopefully reinstalling the apps isn't necessary at this stage although it's certainly an option to keep in mind. Good luck with it all. :)

I really wonder where your receipts have gone though. :confused:

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
thanks for sending me that, i have put it where it should be and now the permission repair does run..... however it takes about 2 seconds to do - the bar just shoots along so it doesnt look like it is running properly.

didnt you say the file is about 1.9mg as the one that i got off you was 500kb ish?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
russed said:
thanks for sending me that, i have put it where it should be and now the permission repair does run..... however it takes about 2 seconds to do - the bar just shoots along so it doesnt look like it is running properly.

Hmm... Sounds like it's only repairing the single permission which is what I thought it might do. I'd kinda hoped it'd recreate the other system ones though. Nevertheless, it's still slightly good news because it means we're on the right track. :)

russed said:
didnt you say the file is about 1.9mg as the one that i got off you was 500kb ish?

Yeah, Finder had it at 1.9MB and Mail said it was 1.8MB. :confused:

My entire Receipts folder is about 150MB so I'd prefer not to email them. The better option would be to grab someone else's folder (make sure they're running 10.4.3) and use that but if you can't then give me another PM and we'll work something out about splitting the folder up into email-manageable sizes.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
russed said:

No valid packages"

i got the same message after i created an emergency start up disc with TechTool Pro. after deleting the emergency start up disc, permissions would repair again.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
748s said:
i got the same message after i created an emergency start up disc with TechTool Pro. after deleting the emergency start up disc, permissions would repair again.

i dont have tech tool pro!!! but thanks anyway!

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
mad jew said:
Hmm... Sounds like it's only repairing the single permission which is what I thought it might do. I'd kinda hoped it'd recreate the other system ones though. Nevertheless, it's still slightly good news because it means we're on the right track. :)

Yeah, Finder had it at 1.9MB and Mail said it was 1.8MB. :confused:

My entire Receipts folder is about 150MB so I'd prefer not to email them. The better option would be to grab someone else's folder (make sure they're running 10.4.3) and use that but if you can't then give me another PM and we'll work something out about splitting the folder up into email-manageable sizes.

well last night, software update popped up with 2 java updates and the last ipod updater, so i downloaded and installed them again and now they are there in the reciepts folder.

are the ones that are in the folder all linked to apple apps, or are there ones for other programmes? if so would it be possible for you to send the ones for the likes of mail etc and i will start re-installing the other non-apple programmes. i presumes it looks like a full reinstall is needed?:(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I can send you receipts but I'm not sure how well it'll work because different version numbers (and releases) will probably have slightly different receipts. You may have to end up reinstalling after all. :(

I'm trying to send through a batch of essential receipts right now. It's about 21MB or so all up so hopefully it'll work.

Two things are still confusing me.

1. What could have possibly destroyed your Receipts folder?
  2. Why are my receipts coming through smaller than they say they should be?

Good luck with it all. Hopefully a reinstall won't be entirely necessary. :)

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
mad jew said:
I can send you receipts but I'm not sure how well it'll work because different version numbers (and releases) will probably have slightly different receipts. You may have to end up reinstalling after all. :(

I'm trying to send through a batch of essential receipts right now. It's about 21MB or so all up so hopefully it'll work.

Two things are still confusing me.

1. What could have possibly destroyed your Receipts folder?
  2. Why are my receipts coming through smaller than they say they should be?

Good luck with it all. Hopefully a reinstall won't be entirely necessary. :)

thanks for those, i have put them in the reciepts folder and the repairing permissions seems to work now - well it is now back to doing all the dashboard repairs etc like before, here is what i get if it is of any use:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

they mainly all appear to be to do with the dashboard like mentioned before.

things appear to be running ok at the moment, i havent had the graphical problem again yet but when i do i will post a screen shot.

is wierd to believe that all of these important files can go missing and things still work pretty much fine. what do these reciept files do by the way? are they a bit similar to the .plist files?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
/Library/Receipts/ is a repository for an installer's BOM (Bill of Materials) archive. Amongst other things, the BOM carries what the proper permissions are for a given file/folder. When one runs a repair of permissiops, the contents of the BOM are compared to the current permissions. If they differ, then the permissions are "repaired". Any app that requires special permissions for security (mostly) can drop a receipt in /Library/Recceipts. Though typically you will see Apple updates/patches/etc in there.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
well i havent seen it for a day or two now but it has been like that - it will happen for a few days, then go away, then happen again.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
at last! it finally happens!!! you can move the window around, put a window over it, etc and it still remains, and here is the attached screen shot, its not the best example of it i have seen but atleast its something!

Attachments

• oddness.jpg
    oddness.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 56
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.