Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced

tab10_2.jpg
From the article:
Chrome OS has run on laptops, desktops, convertibles, and all-in-ones, but until today, it hasn’t run on a tablet. That changes with the Acer Chromebook Tab 10, the first tablet to run Chrome OS.

Acer’s Chromebook Tab 10 is very much meant to rival the iPad, and that’s particularly notable since it’s being announced just one day before Apple is supposed to announce a new low-cost model.

The Tab 10 has a 9.7-inch, 2048 x 1536 display — just like the iPad — with front- and rear-facing cameras, an estimated nine hours of battery life, an OP1 processor, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a USB-C port. There’s also a microSD card slot and a headphone jack.

It's pretty obvious that Acer timed this to be a bit pre-emptive of Apple's education announcement tomorrow.

For those of us who are fans of Chromebooks and/or the iPad Pro (I'm a fan of both), this is very interesting news.

For me personally, it initially appears that everything that I was hoping to do with the iPad Pro (but couldn't) is going to be possible with this Chrome OS-based tablet. 2-in-1 Chromebooks already exist, but this offers those capabilities in a tablet form-factor.

Full desktop-browser experience. Support for mice. Support for removable storage. Support for USB peripherals. Without the requirement of having a physical keyboard attached.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah....give Acer Props for beating Apple to the punch.....the included wacom stylus also helps and a price of $329 or even less when you think of Best Buy deals will swing some in this direction. Moreover, google cloud services and apps are just more productive than any ipad especially with mouse support etc. Apple will still most likely not even include the apple pencil with the budget ipad so thats a negative already and it has no mouse support.

I'm just waiting for Samsung to release a 12 inch chrome OS tablet later this year and that may do it for me. This one is just too small.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah....give Acer Props for beating Apple to the punch.....the included wacom stylus also helps and a price of $329 or even less when you think of Best Buy deals will swing some in this direction. Moreover, google cloud services and apps are just more productive than any ipad especially with mouse support etc. Apple will still most likely not even include the apple pencil with the budget ipad so thats a negative already and it has no mouse support.

I'm just waiting for Samsung to release a 12 inch chrome OS tablet later this year and that may do it for me. This one is just too small.
That's where I'm leaning too. (I KNEW there was a reason for not pulling the trigger on a Samsung Chromebook Pro! :) )
I figured that Samsung would offer something. Have you heard of anything specific?

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
That's where I'm leaning too. (I KNEW there was a reason for not pulling the trigger on a Samsung Chromebook Pro! :) )
I figured that Samsung would offer something. Have you heard of anything specific?

The code name is Nautilus. Looks to be at least 12 inches with the Galaxy book form factor. This will be a pro device so just hold on a little longer. ;)

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The people in the main discussion thread on this tablet who are apple fanatics are going hysterical. They can't seem to get that this is an educational device that offers the best of both worlds for students. Even non-students will enjoy it for its productive and entertainment potential as well.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The people in the main discussion thread on this tablet who are apple fanatics are going hysterical. They can't seem to get that this is an educational device that offers the best of both worlds for students. Even non-students will enjoy it for its productive and entertainment potential as well.

Why you think I responded in this thread instead? LOL

Reactions: jamesrick80

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Spec Wise, I may try this thing out for a bit...just to get acquainted with Chrome OS in a tablet form factor but it will be replaced once nautilus comes out. The specs are decent on this tablet.....and chrome OS runs totally smooth with these specs so I would not deny anyone from buying it. It can be the tiny buddy to my Acer Chromebook 15 latest version.

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm really curious to see how far Google has gone to integrate Android with Chrome OS. My biggest gripe with Chrome OS is how poorly the file systems are integrated. The Android subsystem's file system is sandboxed so that it can't access the SD card nor internal storage that is visible to Chrome OS.

Only the "Download" folder on the internal storage is mutually accessible by both Chrome OS and Android. That needs to change, like yesterday.

Reactions: MisterMillz

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I'm really curious to see how far Google has gone to integrate Android with Chrome OS. My biggest gripe with Chrome OS is how poorly the file systems are integrated. The Android subsystem's file system is sandboxed so that it can't access the SD card nor internal storage that is visible to Chrome OS.

Only the "Download" folder on the internal storage is mutually accessible by both Chrome OS and Android. That needs to change, like yesterday.

That change is coming soon...I believe sometimes this summer so look out for it. But I will say, I am one of those types that will purchase a device to get use to the new form factor so this may be a instant purchase until that Samsung Chrome OS tablet arrives....

So I will definitely let you know how everything goes with this device.
[doublepost=1522101431][/doublepost]

Also set your downloads from the chrome browser to your microsd card. That helps.......

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That change is coming soon...I believe sometimes this summer so look out for it. But I will say, I am one of those types that will purchase a device to get use to the new form factor so this may be a instant purchase until that Samsung Chrome OS tablet arrives.....

ha! I usually do that too. But I have a huge backlog of hardware that I need to find new homes for before I get any more. My plan is to replace all of my iPads, android tablets, and notebooks with a single chromebook-based option. First I thought it would be the iPad Pro. Then the Lenovo Yoga Book (Android version)...currently my go-to device. But now these chromeOS tablets look like they might be even better. A converged filesystem would be the final piece in the puzzle.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
When you use Android devices, you have to worry about this garbage going on:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/25/fac...-data-made-by-android-users-ars-technica.html

:apple:

We are discussing Chrome OS devices.....make a new thread for this.
[doublepost=1522102036][/doublepost]
ha! I usually do that too. But I have a huge backlog of hardware that I need to find new homes for before I get any more. My plan is to replace all of my iPads, android tablets, and notebooks with a single chromebook-based option. First I thought it would be the iPad Pro. Then the Lenovo Yoga Book (Android version)...currently my go-to device. But now these chromeOS tablets look like they might be even better. A converged filesystem would be the final piece in the puzzle.

I spend alot of time on my chromebook. Its crazy but its gets the majority of my time as well as my Note 8 of course.......yes they do need to fix the final piece of the puzzle.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Fair enough. Any optimism that I have in this regard is a result of "wishful thinking" than on any thing tangible. :p

We know they are testing two Android apps at the same time, so there’s that. My optimism is pinned on Fuchsia.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
We are discussing Chrome OS devices.....make a new thread for this.
[doublepost=1522102036][/doublepost]

I spend alot of time on my chromebook. Its crazy but its gets the majority of my time as well as my Note 8 of course.......yes they do need to fix the final piece of the puzzle.

Only reason I brought it up is because I thought Google was integrating Android with Chrome OS? If not, my bad.

:apple:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
That change is coming soon...I believe sometimes this summer so look out for it. But I will say, I am one of those types that will purchase a device to get use to the new form factor so this may be a instant purchase until that Samsung Chrome OS tablet arrives....

[doublepost=1522101431][/doublepost]

Also set your downloads from the chrome browser to your microsd card. That helps.......

I had the Samsung Chromebook plus and while it was a decent laptop it was a terrible tablet, it handled Android apps poorly, saving to a SD card (does this new tablet even have one) was poor at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.