Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Toggle two shortcuts from the action button, via focus mode and automation...

I always put my phone into orientation lock, dim the screen, and silence my ringer when I go to bed - makes it easier to use the phone lying down to read, without disturbing my wife with light and the charge ding when I put it back on my wireless charger later.

What I have done is set the action button to switch to a new custom focus (which sets the phone into dark mode). I have an automation set which triggers shortcut1 when going into that focus mode, triggers shortcut2 when leaving that focus mode. So now the action button toggles between two different shortcuts.

So I press and hold the action button, screen lock focus enabled, screen goes dark mode, and shortcut 1 is triggered. Press and hold again, focus disabled, screen reverts to whatever it should be for the time of day, shortcut 2 triggered. If I find I want additional things to happen, it's as simple as adding them into my if statement.

The If in shortcut1 is so that I can also silence my phone during the day, say in a meeting, without turning the brightness or volume down. So it works like a silence and rotation lock by day, and does additional stuff at night.

Shortcut1:
Orientation Lock On
Silent Switch On
If the time is between 21:00 and 07:00 then
Turn media volume to 0%
Turn screen brightness to 1%
End If

Shortcut1=2:
Orientation Lock Off
Silent Switch Off
Set Screen Brightness to 50%

Last edited:

Bertolus

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
Hey everyone! I’ve updated the script. You’ll need the (Free) Actions app on the Appstore

With this, if your phone is in landscape it’ll default to the camera function to get the quick camera.

Otherwise it will prompt with a menu. Feel free to give it a try and update to make it better

This gives an error message unfortunately.

Edit: sorry, missed the part about the action app.

Last edited:

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
K
Hey everyone! I’ve updated the script. You’ll need the (Free) Actions app on the Appstore

With this, if your phone is in landscape it’ll default to the camera function to get the quick camera.

Otherwise it will prompt with a menu. Feel free to give it a try and update to make it better

Really cool and thanks

Edit: just tried it and so awesome. Thank you!

Last edited:

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
Would somebody be willing to make me a shortcut? I’d appreciate it.

Shortcut - Check if currently playing song is on playlist, if not on playlist add currently playing song to playlist.

jk111

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
IMG_0030.PNG

Simple but extremely useful for me. Shortcut that brings up a menu to pick door lock or garage door. If/else statement in the shortcut triggers lock/unlock & open/close depending on current state. Requires FaceID to authenticate before triggering the action, just in case phone is ever lost.

Reactions: Ryan1524

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008

nice one
thanks

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I have a shortcut that launches the camera in video if in landscaperight orientation, otherwise, it acts as a mute toggle.
You can however program any of the other 5 orientations to do other things if you wish.
I launched the camera in video since the lockscreen swipe or button launch the camera for photo.

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
I have a shortcut that launches the camera in video if in landscaperight orientation, otherwise, it acts as a mute toggle.
You can however program any of the other 5 orientations to do other things if you wish.
I launched the camera in video since the lockscreen swipe or button launch the camera for photo.
Yeah, this is a great use case. Landscape activates camera, and portrait acts as a mute switch.

Just a shame that I can’t seem to replicate the exact functionality of the default camera action, where you can use the action button to take the photo

Reactions: SukiDad

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, this is a great use case. Landscape activates camera, and portrait acts as a mute switch.

Just a shame that I can’t seem to replicate the exact functionality of the default camera action, where you can use the action button to take the photo
Yes, I can't figure out a way to get the action button to be the shutter either. That would be perfect for sure.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I want to be able to toggle auto brightness on/off and add it to my shortcut action button menu

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018

I like this a lot!

I like that the camera shortcut works, even if orientation is locked

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Does the orientation check still work when rotation lock is enabled? Mine is always on and I only turn it off when I specifically want something to rotate. Although the camera still recognizes the correct orientation even with rotation lock on, so hopefully shortcuts would as well.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

Yes, I can't figure out a way to get the action button to be the shutter either. That would be perfect for sure.
I was actually wondering why anyone would assign the shutter function when the volume button right next to it already acts as a shutter button. Is there a particular reason, such as your finger position or something? The reason I ask is because when I hold my phone horizontally to use the camera, my thumb is pretty much right in the power button, index finger on the volume down, and middle finger on the volume up button, with ring finger being the last one gripping around the action button. I am always shooting one-handed, so the volume up button has always felt the most natural for me. It keeps the phone secure in my hand with the other 3 fingers while I capture with the middle finger. (I only use my other hand when I need to zoom.)

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I was actually wondering why anyone would assign the shutter function when the volume button right next to it already acts as a shutter button. Is there a particular reason, such as your finger position or something? The reason I ask is because when I hold my phone horizontally to use the camera, my thumb is pretty much right in the power button, index finger on the volume down, and middle finger on the volume up button, with ring finger being the last one gripping around the action button. I am always shooting one-handed, so the volume up button has always felt the most natural for me. It keeps the phone secure in my hand with the other 3 fingers while I capture with the middle finger. (I only use my other hand when I need to zoom.

Hi, I would just like the action button to function as the shutter since a finger is already on that button for activating the camera. Using the volume up is what I do and it works, but for quick captures, using the finger that is already on the button would be nice.

The shortcut uses Get Device Orientation. This works even with orientation lock on. You can get 6 different orientations of the phone with this.

Reactions: DDustiNN

sorava

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
Being long-sighted, I need to use larger text size when I don't wear my reading glasses. With glasses on, I like to keep smaller fonts. I've been switching between text sizes via control center text sizing button, but it's a bit tedious and not optimal.

I created a shortcut which toggles between normal and large text size, and assigned that to the action button. Now it's perfectly easy to switch between the modes.

(I do realise now that all along I could have had this shortcut at my home screen for doing the switch faster, but only with action button on my new phone this came to my mind)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.