Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
[This post was supposed to go up several days ago.]

I’m sure a few of you have already seen the latest by Action Retro: a side-by-side of OCLP running Sonoma on an A1260 (running half of its maximum RAM, and unclear if it was running a spinner or SSD), next to an M1 Max MacBook Pro with 64GB RAM. He also shows a quick install of OCLP on his 11-inch mid-2012 MBA (he mistakenly referred to it as mid-2011, but the MBA also showed an HD Graphics 4000 iGPU when he pulled open the “About this Mac…”).

The tests are pretty silly, and he admits as much, but it’s still a good overview or even primer for anyone who’s hesitated at the idea of ignoring Apple’s hard-set “official” caps on the macOS they’ll support on a specific Mac. It also underscores what a lot of folks in the Early Intel Macs community have known for a while and have been advocating ever since dosdude1 paved the way years ago: old Intel Macs, with a Penryn or higher CPU, are outstanding candidates for upcycling and not recycling (i.e., junking).

Thank you, @ActionRetro , for showing a broader audience how they don’t need to toss out their perfectly serviceable Macs. They can give them more life. :)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
It was this video and the fact that he installed it on an old MBP that made me install Sonoma on my A1181 2009 white MB. It's definitely usable as the lowest machine that can run it unsupported.

Reactions: B S Magnet

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
I couldn't figure out whether the video was about installing Sonoma or pushing squarespace 😂

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I shoved it onto my 2009 Mac Mini before I saw this. It runs better than the Monterey that was on it. That might be more to do with improvements on OCLP as I had an old version on it.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
uBlock Origin in my case. :) I've not had to contend with YT adverts for years to the point where it feels strange when their existence is mentioned.

SponsorBlock is an interactive add-on which crowdsources viewers who also use the the add-on to designate selected/user-highlighted parts of a YT video into one of about seven or eight different, discrete categories (letting the user, in settings, select which categories they will want skipped for all future clips with those categories) — including “intro/internission”, “subscribe reminder”, “sponsor”, and so on.

1697726841437.png

The magentas, greens, cyans, and dark blues in the timeline are some of those in action.

The worst one ever sees using this add-on is the video having a bad jump-cut to the next section, but it also cuts down on the amount of screen time you spend on any clip with those annoyances.

It’s pretty handy to have in tandem with uBlock oigin and/or uMatrix. I use all three. :)

Reactions: TheShortTimer

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
uBlock Origin in my case. :) I've not had to contend with YT adverts for years to the point where it feels strange when their existence is mentioned.
Sadly, YT has been getting ratty with Adblockers since June. Now I get "friendly" reminders that Adblocks are undesirable on a notification overlay with a countdown timer. The next stage, as others have reported, is a three strikes and you're out warning after which YT videos will no longer play until you remove all adblockers.

• Wow
Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Sadly, YT has been getting ratty with Adblockers since June. Now I get "friendly" reminders that Adblocks are undesirable on a notification overlay with a countdown timer. The next stage, as others have reported, is a three strikes and you're out warning after which YT videos will no longer play until you remove all adblockers.

I've not experienced this. I'd better send a donation to the uBlock Origin team as gratitude for keeping my YT sessions free from grief. :D

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster

Poor, poor Alphabet, bleeding all that money into the great, wide ocean, their stocks plummeting to nil (hold on, we’re being ionformed by the stock market in the sky that their stock is worth $137 a share this day), because their product chooses not to look at involuntary adverts.

🎻

My lordt… late-stage capitalism is a glorious thing, innit…

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Wait a minute.. Does that mean that all the hollow YT parrots will be getting less $ from the advertisers? ;)

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Wait a minute.. Does that mean that all the hollow YT parrots will be getting less $ from the advertisers? ;)

I don’t know, to be honest, but if Google go ahead and enforce perma-banning people — I mean, product — on a cricket/baseball-based “three-strikes-and-yer-out” rule, then there is probably an add-on workaround to that, as well. It’s one best known as EditThisCookie. (or, EditThisCookie2). Two are listed on an add-on search. I use the Timux iteration, which is titled, formally, as EditThisCookie2.

1697828771958.png

Reactions: weckart

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I don’t know, to be honest, but if Google go ahead and enforce perma-banning people — I mean, product — on a cricket/baseball-based “three-strikes-and-yer-out” rule, then there is probably an add-on workaround to that, as well. It’s one best known as EditThisCookie. (or, EditThisCookie2). Two are listed on an add-on search. I use the Timux iteration, which is titled, formally, as EditThisCookie2.

View attachment 2299190
The easiest workaround technically, if tiresome, is to watch YT in a private window. Adblockers work then as YT can't really trace you, at least for now. It does mean having to sign into YT every time you open a window if you want to access your subscriptions or faves, which will trigger a Google security alert.

Otherwise, welcome to this...

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 22.37.20.png

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
The easiest workaround technically, if tiresome, is to watch YT in a private window. Adblockers work then as YT can't really trace you, at least for now. It does mean having to sign into YT every time you open a window if you want to access your subscriptions or faves, which will trigger a Google security alert.

Otherwise, welcome to this...

View attachment 2299240

Ah. Yah. I should add how I’m never logged into YT when I open YT, and on uMatrix, I block one class of cookies in uMatrix (see below) because a) I don’t need a company logging my profile of usage, even if most of it is stuff like music videos and fixing/tweaking old Macs; and b) I have no use for an algorithm to tailor what I ought to watch next, because I’m disinterested in recommendation engines coaxing me to stay on longer than I need to. (If you try to block both classes, YT won’t work at all.)

1697840973408.png

Each time I open YT, I am greeted with a generic suggestion list of, broadly speaking, mental trash:

1697841345238.png

No suggestions are specific to what I’ve watched in the past, so it’s mostly stuff like the latest Beast or Sniperwolf or LTT ranked up high, as they’re, presently, viral somewhere else. I’m quite OK with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.