Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PerryM

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2016
Farnham, UK
I am an old retired engineer with little computer knowledge!
I was a long time Martin Lo OC (MLOC) user on my 5,1. I had High Sierra on a SSD, and ‘progressed’ to adding Catalina on a NVMe and BigSur on an anther SSD. It all appeared to work. Then I decided to try Sonoma via OCLP, which I did by doing an Apple install over the Catalina.. It worked but I discovered the hard way that I had lost access to High Sierra and my PC RX 580 wouldn’t allow access to the Mac Option Boot. I am nervous about installing EnableGOP.
So I decided to go back to where I was with MLOC. Turned out to be quite a ride! I got the latest (0.98) MLOC resources, but the EFI editor won’t run (or will Clover). I put back an old (non metal) Mac supported GPU. Basically I have managed to get to a working MLOC by using Terminal commands. At some point I wiped the whole ‘Sonoma’ drive clean.
So my question is what is the easiest way to install Monterey on that drive?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am an old retired engineer with little computer knowledge!
I was a long time Martin Lo OC (MLOC) user on my 5,1. I had High Sierra on a SSD, and ‘progressed’ to adding Catalina on a NVMe and BigSur on an anther SSD. It all appeared to work. Then I decided to try Sonoma via OCLP, which I did by doing an Apple install over the Catalina.. It worked but I discovered the hard way that I had lost access to High Sierra and my PC RX 580 wouldn’t allow access to the Mac Option Boot. I am nervous about installing EnableGOP.
So I decided to go back to where I was with MLOC. Turned out to be quite a ride! I got the latest (0.98) MLOC resources, but the EFI editor won’t run (or will Clover). I put back an old (non metal) Mac supported GPU. Basically I have managed to get to a working MLOC by using Terminal commands. At some point I wiped the whole ‘Sonoma’ drive clean.
So my question is what is the easiest way to install Monterey on that drive?
If you are running my package now. And able to boot Big Sur. Then you can turn on VMM and disable SMBIOS spoofing. And then boot to Big Sur and run the Monterey installer.

Inside the Monterey installer, it should allow you to select the target disk, then you can select the cleaned drive as the destination.

Then once the Monterey installation is completed, you can turn off VMM, and re-enable SMBIOS spoofing (to re-gain max CPU performance, and GPU HWAccel). And now, you should have a working HS, Big Sur, and Monterey.

Reactions: TheStork

PerryM

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2016
Farnham, UK
Oh Martin - if only it was that easy! When I returned to my RX 580 I had to do a PRAM reset. That lost my 'blessed' status on the OC EFI and also put SIP back on. So after groping about 'in the dark' of a 'Restore' Boot, I managed to get OC back. I performed the changes to the list (mounting the EFI in terminal, none of the EFI edit apps work, in Big Sur they say 'no permissions') then rebooted. When it came back I wanted to check that the list changes had stuck, but when I mount the EFI partition it is now empty! Anyways, I ran the Monterey installer and it appeared happy, but when I returned a long while later it had rebooted back to Big Sur. The NVMe is gone back to showing as an 'external disk' and although the Monterey System seems loaded, it won't run. Complains about an old EFI format.
I now cannot get the MLOC boot bicker back. Presumably MLOC is still working because I can boot to Big Sur via the System Startup Disk.
Is it possible that trying to change the Plist in Finder with a Terminal mounted EFI has caused the problem? I guess I need to find why your apps won't run in my Big Sur. The 'permissions' problem in Big Sur doesn't seem unusual. The apps simply show a 'will not run' message in HS. (Same for 'Clover'). Any suggestions to cure much appreciated.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Oh Martin - if only it was that easy! When I returned to my RX 580 I had to do a PRAM reset. That lost my 'blessed' status on the OC EFI and also put SIP back on. So after groping about 'in the dark' of a 'Restore' Boot, I managed to get OC back. I performed the changes to the list (mounting the EFI in terminal, none of the EFI edit apps work, in Big Sur they say 'no permissions') then rebooted. When it came back I wanted to check that the list changes had stuck, but when I mount the EFI partition it is now empty! Anyways, I ran the Monterey installer and it appeared happy, but when I returned a long while later it had rebooted back to Big Sur. The NVMe is gone back to showing as an 'external disk' and although the Monterey System seems loaded, it won't run. Complains about an old EFI format.
I now cannot get the MLOC boot bicker back. Presumably MLOC is still working because I can boot to Big Sur via the System Startup Disk.
Is it possible that trying to change the Plist in Finder with a Terminal mounted EFI has caused the problem? I guess I need to find why your apps won't run in my Big Sur. The 'permissions' problem in Big Sur doesn't seem unusual. The apps simply show a 'will not run' message in HS. (Same for 'Clover'). Any suggestions to cure much appreciated.
If very messy, I suggest you remove all drive, but only leave the HS drive in the cMP.

This should allow your cMP boot to desktop without any issue with just the RX580.

Then you can hold Command + R to boot to recovery (for RX580, there is a bug in the drive, please make sure there is only one monitor connected. Otherwise, all screens may stay black even the GPU is working).

And then you can disable SIP natively.

And now, you can install my OC package onto the cMP again.

Once you can see the boot picker working again, you can now re-install other drives back in. And continue Monterey installation etc.

Reactions: trifero

PerryM

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2016
Farnham, UK
Thanks Martin. The MLOC EFI is with the Big Sur drive (SSD). I have removed all but one monitor from RX 580.
I need to get your EFI viewer and Bless scripts working. Any suggestion how to do that?
I should add that I had no issues with MLOC for many years, until I (foolishly) had my adventure with OCLP. I wonder if there is still some remnant of it somewhere. I need your viewer (or Clover) to work to have a good look.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
EFI viewer and Bless is from me. You get a conversation to discuss the details. Don't had reports yet, it's not working for someone.

RMprepress

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
Why would I get a macOS update assistant window pop up while installing Monterey?
I am fairly experienced at the steps involved with Martins installers.
Using version 0.9.8.
The MacPro had already been running Mojave and Monterey via OC but the PCIe SSD kept having random crashes while running Monterey so in an effort to trouble shoot I have taken that PCIe SSD out and reinstalled Mojave on an OWC SSD in bay #1.
Now while attemtping to install Monterey i get this...
It was installing just fine and I walked away to com back to that?

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpeg
    IMG_5155.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 43

PerryM

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2016
Farnham, UK
If very messy, I suggest you remove all drive, but only leave the HS drive in the cMP.

This should allow your cMP boot to desktop without any issue with just the RX580.

Then you can hold Command + R to boot to recovery (for RX580, there is a bug in the drive, please make sure there is only one monitor connected. Otherwise, all screens may stay black even the GPU is working).

And then you can disable SIP natively.

And now, you can install my OC package onto the cMP again.

Once you can see the boot picker working again, you can now re-install other drives back in. And continue Monterey installation etc.
With the Help of Macschrauber I managed to get back a working system to where I was before. I am trying to install Monterey on my DVMe drive from an installer running in BigSur. It gets to the first reboot, correctly selects the installer and continues in the ‘boot screen’ with the Apple logo and a progress bar. After a few minutes it reboots back to BigSur. The installer is an option in the OC Bootpicker but if selected it just repeats the last few minutes.
Anybody any experience or ideas?

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
So no more Martin Lo for Ventura and newer?
It appears so.. I am looking for a way to run Ventura so that I can run the latest version of Logic Pro, but not to keen on ‘root patching’ with OCLP.

Martin’s solution is easy to revert if something goes south. With OCLP I’m not sure..

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Well some are having success with Sonoma. I would use a different SSD, pop it in and run OCLP.

I plan I do the same. I currently on Monterey & PT2024.3

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
Well some are having success with Sonoma. I would use a different SSD, pop it in and run OCLP.

I plan I do the same. I currently on Monterey & PT2024.3
So the 'root patching' (whatever that entails) is specific to the harddrive then, not systemwide?

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Well I'm not the expert like the rest of these folks here.

I just did the OpenCore process and it works fine.

Mr. Macintosh's video works flawless. Bare in mind it will reboot I think at least 5 times thinking what the heck. But you'll know once you see the final % install.

Watch the video fisrt.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck and LFO8

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019
What are the implications, if any for setting apfs_trim_timeout to '0'? Does this effectively turn trim off? I've heard this will degrade ssds, nvmes prematurely. Is there any truth to this? It does seem to boot much faster when set to zero.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
What are the implications, if any for setting apfs_trim_timeout to '0'? Does this effectively turn trim off? I've heard this will degrade ssds, nvmes prematurely. Is there any truth to this? It does seem to boot much faster when set to zero.
Should only disable the manual TRIM process during boot, but not entirely disable TRIM in normal OS operation.

The reason to set apfs_trim_timeout to 0 is because of some SSD suffer from very very slow boot when this is enabled (e.g. each SSD can take a minute to TRIM during boot. If there are 5 SSD, then this process may cost 5min). Since this is more a house keeping process, but not that critical. Therefore, I set this to 0, which makes the package users have a more consistent user experience.

If the is no much difference on your cMP, and you prefer to turn it on, you can definitely do it.

Reactions: crjackson2134

GregorPQ

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2024
Because you know if there might be a way or there is no hope at all:

Is there a way to use an Intel SSD DC P4608 6.4TB
on the PCIe-bus of a Mac 5.1?
As there is no driver - where can I get a working driver for this SSD?

Thank you for your time!

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.25.05.jpg

DEH

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
No, I used Martin Lo’s patch.
I also went to 12.7.4 from 12.7.2 using Martin's. It did take awhile, maybe ~3 hours and had several reboots but it worked, The system has been up and running since 3/23/24. I did have to upgrade a lot of software to make things happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.