Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So, I downgraded my iPhone 2G to iPhone OS 1.1.1 (it can't run 1.0), and now I'm stuck on the "Activate iPhone" screen. I have a valid AT&T SIM inserted, but when I plug this iPhone into a Mac with the latest iTunes installed, I get a message saying that an invalid response was received from the device. So, I'll probably have to jailbreak the device. What software will I need to jailbreak this device? I found some methods that worked by getting into the Phone app, and then Safari, and then jailbreakme.com, but that website no longer works, so, I need an alternative way.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I remember that downgrading the OS doesn't downgrade the baseband which then causes an error because the baseband running on the phone is incompatible with the OS. I'm unsure what tools are available at that OS but I do remember pwnage tool on iOS 2 had a baseband downgrade tool. So maybe upgrade to that OS and then downgrade the baseband and then downgrade the OS again.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I remember that downgrading the OS doesn't downgrade the baseband which then causes an error because the baseband running on the phone is incompatible with the OS. I'm unsure what tools are available at that OS but I do remember pwnage tool on iOS 2 had a baseband downgrade tool. So maybe upgrade to that OS and then downgrade the baseband and then downgrade the OS again.
Actually, what I did to get 1.1.1 to work is put the phone into DFU mode, restore with iTunes, and then erase the baseband. After the baseband was erased, the phone booted up into 1.1.1, so I'm not sure if there if there's any baseband at all on it right now. That's probably what's causing the iTunes error. Is there a way to get a compatible baseband on it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have to hacktivate it. AT&T/Apple turned off the iPhone 2G activation servers years ago. Look up how to hacktivate an iPhone 2G.

Reactions: Applejuiced

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
OP, when I get home, I'll shoot you over my collection of downgrade tools. I have a soft spot for the original iPhone and iPhone OS 1. I've downgraded several, and in fact still use my old original running 1.1 as an iPod. I should be back home Monday - shoot me a PM so I don't forget :)

jackbmh

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2016
get iliberty+ and select jailbreak and activate, wait until it goes into recovery mode, at the bottom of the window it will say "booting ramdisk" then just select kick out of recovery

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.