Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Just got my watch yesterday, and I can't figure this out. I have my watch set to show the watch face on wrist raise, instead of resuming the previous activity. However, the last app I was on always comes up, instead of the watch face.

I don't understand, I thought it was supposed to go back to the watch face?

msavich

macrumors member
May 31, 2015
Just got my watch yesterday, and I can't figure this out. I have my watch set to show the watch face on wrist raise, instead of resuming the previous activity. However, the last app I was on always comes up, instead of the watch face.

For about thirty seconds the watch will return to the last used app. After that it will return to the watch face.

Reactions: The Doctor11

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Protip-- when the screen is on, covering it with your palm will turn the screen off and send the watch back to the watch face for next time you look at it.

Thanks again! I'm still learning features. I purposely didn't read/watch any threads/videos of people with watches, because I wanted to learn and experience all the features on my own watch. It's a lot more fun learning as I go. :D

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Also from the Owners Manual.

“Wake Apple Watch. Just raise your wrist or tap the display. Apple Watch sleeps when you lower your wrist. You can also wake Apple Watch by pressing the Digital Crown—handy if you’re not wearing it.

If Apple Watch doesn’t wake when you raise your wrist, make sure you’ve selected the proper wrist and Digital Crown orientation. Open the Settings app (if you’re looking at the watch face, press the Digital Crown to get to the Home screen, then tap ), go to General > Orientation, then make sure Orientation is set to the wrist you wear Apple Watch on. It’s also possible that the battery needs charging. See Charge Apple Watch.”

I hope this helps.

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “Apple Watch User Guide.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/4HEW6.l

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

In the Apple watch app on your iphone there is a "wrist raise" section. There you can define whether the watch face comes up or the last app.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Thank you all for the replies, msavich "hit the nail on the head." I had it set to go to the clock face, but didn't realize that it shows the last app you used if you checked it again with 30 seconds.

After 30 seconds of inactivity, it will display the clock face again, instead of the last used app.

If you set it to show last activity, it always goes back to your last used app, no matter when you check the watch.

Hopefully this thread will now help anyone else who thought this was a bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.