Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Picked up my new iPhone 14 Pro today at an Apple Store. Apple employee took my old phone in as a trade and gave me the SIM card (iPhone 12). He did not activate the new phone.

So I get home and the iPhone 14 Pro wants to be near my old phone to activate the esim. That obviously will not work. QR code is the other option, no idea how to get that.

Any ideas? Thanks

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Can you log onto your T-Mobile account? You can update device sim on the account and enter your esim IMEI #.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
The apple rep screwed up. If you have another device pop the SIM card in, log into your account and get the esim setup for the line. They should give you a QR code. You'll need access to texting to get the confirmation code.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Picked up my new iPhone 14 Pro today at an Apple Store. Apple employee took my old phone in as a trade and gave me the SIM card (iPhone 12). He did not activate the new phone.

So I get home and the iPhone 14 Pro wants to be near my old phone to activate the esim. That obviously will not work. QR code is the other option, no idea how to get that.

Any ideas? Thanks
Go to your T-Mobile account online, click or tap account, and then click on phone line that needs to be switched to eSim.

Then update device Sim, new device, enter IMEI, then select eSim.

Reactions: 4sallypat

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
If the above steps do not work, you will need to visit a T-Mobile store.

Apple employee screwed the pooch.

No need to go to the store @macmyworld. Just log into your acct and update the EIN/IMEI. The instructions & QR code are here. If you are unable to update it yourself, a quick CS Chat will do it. Force is pretty good about these things.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I ended up at the T-mobile store. T-Mobile said this is a known bug, the phone should have automatically activated. Guy said 1 out of 5 iPhones are having the problem. They went through a few steps to get it working. I think Macrumors had a post about this Friday And Apple needs an iOS patch to fix it.

Thanks Everyone

Reactions: internetrando

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Glad you were able to get it resolved. Unfortunately, sometimes a trip to the store is necessary. While the self-service options often work, and can provide great convenience, they do not always work as intended.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
No need to go to the store @macmyworld. Just log into your acct and update the EIN/IMEI. The instructions & QR code are here. If you are unable to update it yourself, a quick CS Chat will do it. Force is pretty good about these things.
This requires you be able to receive a confirmation text on the line in question. Digits app for T-Mobile is a possible work around assuming someone set it up before as it requires confirmation as well.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
This requires you be able to receive a confirmation text on the line in question. Digits app for T-Mobile is a possible work around assuming someone set it up before as it requires confirmation as well.

Not necessarily. US Mobile is a quick log in to update the IMEI and that's pretty much it. If you're chatting with a rep, they can certainly verify other information. It's the same process if your phone was lost or stolen and you needed to activate a new device.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Glad to know you don't need the old phone because I have a dead phone that won't power up and will get a new iPhone 14.

TMO online, chat or in store -very good support!

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I did the easy way, I went to the store on a lark Friday to see if they had the iPhone 14 Pro I wanted in space black and they had it and the staff member was the one that did the transfer for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.