Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NothinToIt

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
I own a MacBook Pro from 2017 which originally cost $3,000 direct from Apple. In October, the TSA was doing a random search of by bags during travel and stepped on my MacBook. Despite a clear footprint, they claimed they received it that way. In either case, the left-most 3" and bottom-most 2" of the screen did not work, as they were adjacent to the break at the bottom-left of the screen. Until now, I've just Airplay'ed to Apple TV when I needed more real estate, to see the Apple menu, or interact with the Dock.

Over the past month, however, the screen began going out completely. I would have to run internet restore or erase the NVRAM so the screen would not remain black. This weekend, that stopped working. I bought a third-party monitor which contexts for power supply by USB-c and for video supply by mini-HDMI-to-USB-c connection.

I understand why, as a default, the USB-c ports do nothing until after you've gotten to the login screen and entered your password to decrypt the hard drive. I assume that you could otherwise infect the boot drive with Malware rather easily. I know there's a way around that by identifying an external drive or flash drive as the startup disk. The screen has no storage, however.

Is there a safe way to get the MacBook to recognize the USB-c monitor earlier in the boot process so I can see the login screen when entering my password, see when going through recovery mode, verbose mode, etc.? Is there a way to tell MacOS that this screen has no payload, is harmless, and therefore, that it should be provided power during startup without compromising the safety of the boot drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.