Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevlar397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
PNW
Hi, I have a few dozen 32 bit apps in my iPhone 6s that I don't want to lose. I've delayed upgrading from iOS 10.3.3 for a long time. I've decided to buy a refurbished iPhone 5 and put my 32 bit apps there and upgrade my 6s to iOS 12. I'll use the 5 as basically an iPod Touch so I won't connect it to a plan. One seller on ebay selling a refurbished Verizon iPhone 5 had a notice saying "As of July 1, 2018, Verizon no longer allows activation of any non HD Voice/VoLTE device. This iPhone should be able to be activated on other compatible CDMA carriers with the corresponding SIM card." I couldn't find any other website mentioning this. Are any of you aware of Verizon not activating older iPhones? Is there any way for me to use the phone the way I am describing without activating it? If I understand what I've read about this I'm assuming the answer is "no". I'm currently an AT&T customer, but I feel their data speeds and signal have dropped in the last month. Due to this recent drop in performance 'm considering moving to Verizon so I figured if I ever need to call with the iPhone 5 having a phone that will work on that network makes sense. I'm aware that this performance drop could be related to having such an old OS, but I don't really have a way to confirm that. Thanks for reading my post.

kevlar397

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
PNW
Thanks! With so many carriers making similar moves I think I'll just get an iPod Touch 5th Generation and not have to deal with these issues.

rwagoner

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
RPV, CA
Will AT&T still activate them? Our old Verizon iPhone 5 and 5s used to work well. Don’t use them any more though. The 5 didn’t do LTE but otherwise was fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.