Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Ive been on a prepaid plan for years and not exactly sure how actual postpaid plans work right now. Have a phone i like but my parents want to get a family plan and want me to get in on it. Problem is i just want the plan and not the XR.

If they do the buy 2 get 2 free XR deal, is it possible to activate the phone as mine, pull out the SIM and use it in my current T-Mobile phone?

Just wondering if that, or some workaround, is possible?

Many thanks for any help.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Should work perfectly fine.

It's just a phone line. T-Mobile doesn't care what phone you use it with, they include the XR's as a bonus for signing up for the contract.

Reactions: ccf

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
But per subject title, might not be able to sell the XR as it might be locked through whatever deal this is part of (eg. must keep service for 2ys as "free" phones are bill credits starting on month three, etc.).

ADD: if this is the current T-Mobile deal, yeah, can't get rid of the XR until after two years:

If you cancel wireless service before receiving 24 bill credits, credits stop and remaining device balance at full price is due on both devices; contact us before canceling to instead make monthly balance payments.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/app...cid=WMD_TM_P_19APPLBOGO_691XO3PM0KWAPA4818020

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.