Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 256GB iPad mini (6th Generation) (Wi-Fi + Cellular) model. I am currently a Verizon subscriber with a post-paid plan for a cellular line and a tablet line.

Having, at one point in time, owned both an iPad mini (5th Generation) (Wi-Fi + Cellular) model as well as an iPad mini 4 (Wi-Fi + Cellular) model, I'm used to doing the following:

1. Get iPad mini
2. Pop in Verizon nano-SIM card
3. Call Verizon and provide them with both the IMEI and the pin of the SIM card itself
4. iPad is activated!

With the iPad mini 4, my only option was the above (because the supplied Apple SIM was never compatible with Verizon). With the iPad mini (5th Generation), I did it the exact same way despite eSIM being available on that model. It's looking like the iPad mini (6th Generation) isn't much different than its immediate predecessor in this regard.

Admittedly, I have never worked with eSIM on any of my previous cellular devices (iPad or otherwise). I understand the concept and what it does. I just don't know exactly how to most optimally activate my forthcoming iPad on Verizon, especially considering that I'm tying cellular to an existing post-paid tablet line and not pre-paid, assuming the workflow above (that I've done on the previous two generations) isn't the best way to do it.

Should I continue to do things this way? Or should I not get a physical SIM and just call Verizon to activate the eSIM on my would-be iPad mini?

Incidentally, if I'm finding myself traveling in another country, I'm probably taking this iPad and not whatever phone I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.