Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
So I’m wondering what the best way to get setup with prepaid Verizon service is on the iPad?

It looks like I can’t signup on device at least with the sim card provided by Apple or eSim? So I did order a Verizon nano sim to put into my 2020 iPad Pro.

Once I have this sim and install it will that magically appear in the cellular area of settings or do I need to do something else to activate service? Ideally I’ll be turning this on/off month to month as I need service and don’t.

Any tips - want Verizon service because of the unique coverage in areas I don’t get T-Mobile coverage on my phone.

Thanks!!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Does anyone know if I could have 2 active data plans on the iPad? It seems that the 2020 Pros have an eSim and then the nano sim tray. Can you have both active and switch between the 2? Not going to do this, but just curious.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Ugh ... my experience trying to get Verizon working on the iPad Pro so far ...

so I initially order a SIM on Amazon and pop it in my iPad; it shows up in the Settings app, but with no way to add a plan to the iPad - I then go to register that sim on the Verizon website and it says its not a valid SIM ID ... today I go to a Verizon store and have them give me a SIM and they set me up with an account - sorta ... I go to actually register and it doesn’t let me register with the data phone number because its not a cell phone number ... I go to register with my email and when I try to link up the data phone number to it it says that number is already registered with My Verizon! If I try to hit forget my password using the data number for My Verizon it says no account has been created.

This is the worst carrier experience on the iPad ever - the only reason I’m trying to get this working is for a trip that doesn‘t have coverage from anyone except Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.