Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maddenman8815

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
Hello, my friend has his ipad, he cant rmeember the email and password they used when setting it up. Cause they just made the email and password as a idk I guess you could say "f*** it email" not realizing it was very important?

I was under the assumption as long as the find my iphone activation wasn't on it was possible to restore and set it up normally again? But when we finally were able to get it to restore, and update. (Once again with find my device not activated, as in "lost mode") we go to reset it up and it comes up "this ipad is locked to xxxxx@icloud.com"

Is there absolutely no way around this besides remembering the email?

I see other posts but they seem to be the lost mode activation lock.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I don't quite know how your friend locked himself out of his device, but I do know that Activation Lock is notorious for often being the only screen you'll ever see on the device. If you don't know your email or password, it's effectively bricked. There is no miracle or second method. Unless you have the info written down somewhere, or remember it on a whim, then that iPad mini may as well be a coaster for your morning coffee.

I really hate to have to say this, but that's how it is.

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
It's absolutely baffling that Apple allows their accounts to use their own @icloud.com email address as their primary one, since you're stuck in a catch-22 not being able to reset your password in situations like this one.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hello, my friend has his ipad, he cant rmeember the email and password they used when setting it up. Cause they just made the email and password as a idk I guess you could say "f*** it email" not realizing it was very important?

I was under the assumption as long as the find my iphone activation wasn't on it was possible to restore and set it up normally again? But when we finally were able to get it to restore, and update. (Once again with find my device not activated, as in "lost mode") we go to reset it up and it comes up "this ipad is locked to xxxxx@icloud.com"

Your common-sense-deprived friend can request Activation Lock removal by providing proof of purchase. Follow the link at the bottom of https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201441

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

If your friend has the original proof of purchase for the device Apple can remove the activation lock. If he doesn't the iPad is no longer usable..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.