Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knowledg333

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Hey friends,

I was reading the AppleCare terms and conditions pdf, and I noticed that the pla does not cover damage caused by any acts of God. If you wish to see the words yourself, you can find them in section 1, paragraph b, article ii. Hilarious, but a good decision by Apple.

On aother note, can anybody tell me if it is really worth it to but AppleCare for my 24" iMac or my 17" MacBook Pro?

Thanks friends,
-Michael-

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hey friends,

I was reading the AppleCare terms and conditions pdf, and I noticed that the pla does not cover damage caused by any acts of God. If you wish to see the words yourself, you can find them in section 1, paragraph b, article ii. Hilarious, but a good decision by Apple.

On aother note, can anybody tell me if it is really worth it to but AppleCare for my 24" iMac or my 17" MacBook Pro?

Thanks friends,
-Michael-

God will smite your MBP, don't you know?:D

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
did you see Billy's film. "the man who sued god" ?

filmed in Australia... Of course (all the good movies are)..

what a crack up! :)

"what the fck is an act of god"? hehehe

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
That's pretty much standard for any insurance or warranty. It means rain, floods, hurricanes, etc. That, or if you start doing naughty things in church and god smites you. You know, just keeping all their bases covered.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Hey friends,

I don't think it's a good idea to buy applecare when you buy the mac, but rather you should wait 11 months because by then the machine will probably have revealed it's true nature and whether or not it's a lemon. Also, keep in mind that apple will not honor applecare on the MBP if there is even a tiny dent in the case.

Time Machine

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Hehehe, they've got it all covered! I wonder what kind of incidents can be considered as "Acts of God"

Wikipedia said:
Act of God or act of nature is a legal term for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible. This does not protect those who put others in danger of acts of God through negligence, such as a camp counselor who instructs a group of children on a hike to stand under a tree to escape a lightning storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_god

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
There's a great bit in one of Douglas Adams Dirk Gently books about an Eagle turning into a fighter plane (it's complicated) and subsequently taking out part of someone's house. The transition is brought about by the god Thor but Gently's character argues that whilst it was an act of a god, it wasn't the God (what with Britain being a christian country) and therefore should be covered. Classic Adams.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
So if you are a subscriber to intelligent design or creationism does that not make everything an "Act of God"? If I spilled coffee on my keyboard it's an "Act of God" since I would not have existed to spill it if God had not created me. If a component fails is that not because it was constructed with faulty materials created by God? Seems to me that clause could get you out of honoring any warrantee....

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
On aother note, can anybody tell me if it is really worth it to buy AppleCare for my 24" iMac or my 17" MacBook Pro?
I think it's definitely worthwhile on the 17" MBP, and likely worthwhile on the 24" iMac. I tend not to recommend it for minis, low-end iMacs, etc.... but for the more expensive Macs, I think it's good insurance.
Also, keep in mind that apple will not honor applecare on the MBP if there is even a tiny dent in the case.
Not entirely true. They might not, depending on who takes care of it, but the laptop doesn't need to be in pristine condition to be covered. A lot depends on the type and location of the dent (in addition to the good will or lack thereof of the person handling the case).

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Also, keep in mind that apple will not honor applecare on the MBP if there is even a tiny dent in the case.

Is this a policy on the MBPs only? A friend had some minor case damage on his 15" PB when his hard drive failed and Applecare didn't give him any trouble over it.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Is this a policy on the MBPs only? A friend had some minor case damage on his 15" PB when his hard drive failed and Applecare didn't give him any trouble over it.

Same. When the hubby took his PB in for some service last year there was a small dent on one of the edges. He got no flack about it and everything was covered. As part of their repairs they also fixed the dent.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Ya, thats what they mean. But you'd think they could just go with "Natural Disasters."

the reason they don't is because various words and phrases have well established meanings in judicial procedings and so the people who write these documents like to stick with terms with an accepted definition

knowledg333

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
So if you are a subscriber to intelligent design or creationism does that not make everything an "Act of God"? If I spilled coffee on my keyboard it's an "Act of God" since I would not have existed to spill it if God had not created me. If a component fails is that not because it was constructed with faulty materials created by God? Seems to me that clause could get you out of honoring any warrantee....

God gave us free will, so I think that waives His liability for any "Acts of People." Basically it's our fault for spilling coffee or failing to manufacture a component with "good" materials.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London

Not really. Intelligent design is how we came to be but we are at least blessed with a degree of independence regardless of how conservative their thinking is. If you spill coffee on your keyboard it's because you're clumsy. Intelligent design doesn't mean that everything designed is intelligent.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Not really. Intelligent design is [insert] my opinion of [/insert] how we came to be but we are at least blessed with a degree of independence regardless of how conservative their thinking is. If you spill coffee on your keyboard it's because you're clumsy. Intelligent design doesn't mean that everything designed is intelligent.

:rolleyes:

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Ya, thats what they mean. But you'd think they could just go with "Natural Disasters."

because "Natural Disaster" wouldnt cover if you decided to leave your aluminum notebook outside of a thunderstorm and a 100000v bolt of lightening decided to hit it. Or for example if you UPS truck carrying your package drove on a bridge that wasnt sturdy and broke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.