Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
We have had mac's (and only macs,bar one unused work laptop) in our house since about 1988. Not a single virus ever, we currently have 4 mac's (all running 10.3.9 or tiger) in daily use, no problems.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
andcraig said:
My guidance counselour forwarded an email with a macro virus in it that infects Word.

Thanks for the update. Sounds nasty, glad you got it sorted in the end.

Interesting that the only actual virus we've found in two pages of threads relates to a Microsoft program. In fact, you could argue that OS X wasn't affected, just MS Word (but I think you made that point in your original post anyway).

Regards
Superleccy

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mkrishnan said:
This can be resolved and simultaneously annoy lots of purists if you say "OS Ex" instead of "OS Ten." :D

That will work even better when the next OS version comes out, and then we could call it "Oh Es Ex-eye!" :p ;) :D

adrian-cg

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2005
~Shard~ said:
Can we at least agree it's not virii? ;) It's either viruses or nothing. But definitely not virii. ;) :cool:

vi·rus P Pronunciation Key (vrs)
n. pl. vi·rus·es
Any of various simple submicroscopic parasites of plants, animals, and bacteria that often cause disease and that consist essentially of a core of RNA or DNA surrounded by a protein coat. Unable to replicate without a host cell, viruses are typically not considered living organisms.
A disease caused by a virus.
Something that poisons one's soul or mind: the pernicious virus of racism.
Computer Science. A computer virus.

From dictionary.com

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
adrian-cg said:
vi·rus P Pronunciation Key (vrs)
n. pl. vi·rus·es
Any of various simple submicroscopic parasites of plants, animals, and bacteria that often cause disease and that consist essentially of a core of RNA or DNA surrounded by a protein coat. Unable to replicate without a host cell, viruses are typically not considered living organisms.
A disease caused by a virus.
Something that poisons one's soul or mind: the pernicious virus of racism.
Computer Science. A computer virus.

From dictionary.com

Thank you! :D

Also, feel free to check this link out as well - some good info there as well. :cool:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I was sick last week with a really bad cold, and I was coughing and sneezing a lot near my computer, that's the closest it ever has come and ever will come to catching a virus

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
ive had hundreds emailed to me. Pitty they were all .exe :p

The only time my iMac screwed up was because i had been messing with my library files.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
~Shard~ said:
Can we at least agree it's not virii? ;) It's either viruses or nothing. But definitely not virii. ;) :cool:
What he said.

Melkor said:
If your Virtual PC becomes infected, can that spread to other applications aswell or does it just affect the VPC programme?
Just VPC.

For those posting links to Dictionary.com or Wiki, we already did that. ;) Scroll up.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
superleccy said:
So has anyone ever experienced, first hand, real virus / malware / spyware on their Mac?

Yes.

Back in 1992, I got some random virus on a System 7-running, networked Mac. I used Disinfectant, and it went away.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I have always used a Mac. Never owned a PC.
In my 16 years of using a Mac, I have never had any security problems.

I don't think they actually exist - the idea was conceived in the imagination of disgruntled PC-user.

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
Not exactly a virus

As I first started getting comfortable with OS X back in 2001 (yikes!), I put a Factory 81 cd in my then CD-RW drive, and started importing into iTunes. Then my system froze. I rebooted, on to get the folder/question mark icon, blinking constantly, as if it were mocking me. I lost everything (which at the time, wasn't much). I'm told it messed up my data allocation tables?!? Not sure if that was true or not. It was a cd with the extra media (meant for Windows). Damn Factory 81. Haven't listened to them since.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I switched to mac around two years ago now, and although Ive had a couple of problems (only one really wasn't my fault and then I didn't loose any work due to the great organization of the firewire Target mode, archive and install etc) Ive never had a virus, spyware, slowdowns in operation or anything.

To put this into context, in the last year alone Ive reset (meaning a complete format) of my dads PC (windows XP) around 4 to 5 times in the last year alone. Now granted, sometimes it was his fault, but the amount of spyware he has on his system is truly remarkable.

People argue that hackers don't target OSX as the minority use it, but I seriously doubt the 3% market share is correct anyway - everywhere I go I see people using macs...you can't tell me that hackers/spyware writers etc haven't thought "Hmmm, I know what will piss those OSX guys off..." I think apple deserves cudos for creating and, more importantly, maintaining a great OS!

*Hip Hip...*

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
alangyssler said:
As I first started getting comfortable with OS X back in 2001 (yikes!), I put a Factory 81 cd in my then CD-RW drive, and started importing into iTunes. Then my system froze. I rebooted, on to get the folder/question mark icon, blinking constantly, as if it were mocking me. I lost everything (which at the time, wasn't much). I'm told it messed up my data allocation tables?!? Not sure if that was true or not. It was a cd with the extra media (meant for Windows). Damn Factory 81. Haven't listened to them since.

Strange! I could imagine that sort of thing happening in 2005 on a Windows PC and one of those sneaky Sony rootkit CDs, but on a Mac in 2001? I'm perplexed!

Maybe your Mac just decided to have a nervous breakdown, and the Factory 81 CD was just a coincidence? Or maybe your Mac was telling you something about your taste in music... ;) although I've subjected my iBook to Chas 'n' Dave & Rolf Harris without a problem, so I don't think it was that. :cool:

Regards
Superleccy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.