Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I have been using AdGuard pro looking for alternative ad blocker that’s lightweight, any recommendations?

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Just bought Wipr, works ok. From experience AdGuard is good too but I find it taking long to load websites.

Reactions: DotCom2

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Just bought Wipr, works ok. From experience AdGuard is good too but I find it taking long to load websites.
Usually has to do with how many filters you have enabled. Wipr has limited filters compared to AdGuard so try reducing them.

VigneshB

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2022
India
For lightweight options, I would go with Ka-Block! or use Firefox Focus as a Safari content blocker. The former blocks most of the annoying ads and uses a custom list whereas the latter uses Disconnect’s tracking protection filter with some changes, thereby blocking most trackers which in turn blocks a lot of annoying ads.
Though, neither of them will match Adguard’s efficiency. What filters have you enabled? Having a lot of them especially on older devices can take a toll.
Anyone working especially for youtube?
Adguard with the Advanced Protection enabled or Wipr with Wipr Extra enabled. If you are fine with using an alternative browser you can use Brave. Or subscribe to Youtube Premium. ;)

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
After trying Wipr for 1 week, I switched back to AdGuard Pro as it blocked way more ads than Wipr.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Wipr.

Easy to use, cheaper, and now hits 100% on this site (previously 89%):

Adguard has a free option and isn't bad but it's a bit more effort (and money...if you need Premium) to get working. You need to go in and enable extra lists to go beyond ~70% to 90%. If you want to hit 100% you need to make user rules. I also find that with that set up Adguard is slower loading websites.

I'm using Wipr at the moment.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Wipr. I use it on my iPhone and Mac. It has a Youtube extension.
I use Wipr as well on both iPhone and Mac.

Ads are successfully blocked on the YouTube website on safari whether on iPhone or Mac…..

…but not on the iPhone’s YouTube app

Just asking if you’ve found a way to get rid of ads on the YouTube app on iPhone

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

Ads are successfully blocked on the YouTube website on safari whether on iPhone or Mac…..

Just asking if you’ve found a way to get rid of ads on the YouTube app on iPhone
It would likely need to be done at network level for apps to take “advantage” of blocking, so Safari extension apps such as Wipr and Vinegar etc won’t work for apps.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
It would likely need to be done at network level for apps to take “advantage” of blocking, so Safari extension apps such as Wipr and Vinegar etc won’t work for apps.

Bingo.

Sideloading can help but it is what most people do not want to do.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales

I always use the web rather than an App so I can't help there.

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
Another +1 to AdGuard! How could I surfe the web without it?🙃

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I’ve been using BlockBear and so far quite happy with it.
That's what I was using at first and it was fine. But i dont think it's been updated in 3 years. I mean if it works then it doesn't really matter but I want something that it is going to be updated/supported.

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
Meanwhile, I use a combination of AdGuard Home (a better Pi-Hole) in my LAN and 1Blocker on my iPhone when I’m out of town. I still see YouTube ads, so I imagine that Vinegar would make sense especially to fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.