Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
I have a 2020 MBP and am noticing that when using Safari with Adblock enabled YouTube spits out errors when clicking on videos. When I disable Adblock, all is good. Has anyone else noticed this behavior and can anyone recommend a fix outside of using Chrome or Firefox? I prefer the battery life I get on Safari over the features those browsers offer.

Thanks!

t0xicgrief

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
I have a 2020 MBP and am noticing that when using Safari with Adblock enabled YouTube spits out errors when clicking on videos. When I disable Adblock, all is good. Has anyone else noticed this behavior and can anyone recommend a fix outside of using Chrome or Firefox? I prefer the battery life I get on Safari over the features those browsers offer.

Thanks!

youtube intentionally broke ad blockers, the only way to fix that would be contacting dev or switching to other ad blocker like wipr (paid) or adguard for safari (free)

some ad blockers support custom filter rules, if thats your case just add those rules

||youtube.com/*/base.js$replace=/(playerResponse.adPlacements|playerResponse.playerAds)/_ad/
||youtube.com/*/base.js$replace=/(playerAds|adPlacement[a-zA-Z]+)/_da/
youtube.com#%#//scriptlet("json-prune", "playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds")
youtube.com#%#//scriptlet("set-constant", "ytInitialPlayerResponse.adPlacements", "undefined")
@@||youtube.com/get_video_info
!#endif

Reactions: BR485

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
youtube intentionally broke ad blockers, the only way to fix that would be contacting dev or switching to other ad blocker like wipr (paid) or adguard for safari (free)

some ad blockers support custom filter rules, if thats your case just add those rules

||youtube.com/*/base.js$replace=/(playerResponse.adPlacements|playerResponse.playerAds)/_ad/
||youtube.com/*/base.js$replace=/(playerAds|adPlacement[a-zA-Z]+)/_da/
youtube.com#%#//scriptlet("json-prune", "playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds")
youtube.com#%#//scriptlet("set-constant", "ytInitialPlayerResponse.adPlacements", "undefined")
@@||youtube.com/get_video_info
!#endif
Appreciated! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.