Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hi,

I've been searching for an AdBlocker for Safari and found a nice topic here.

Disregarding price aspects, I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of a native app over a safari-based extension? Or do you any good article that explains this thoroughly?

Thanks a lot!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Hi,

Disregarding price aspects, I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of a native app over a safari-based extension? Or do you any good article that explains this thoroughly?

Thanks a lot!

can't help you with safari, but I know the best is uBlockOrigin for Chrome and FireFox which you should check out...Firefox not Safari.

adamh10

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
Bradford, ON, Canada
Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Hi there,

A native ad-blocker offers a few significant advantages. I use AdGuard for macOS (which is also available on iOS, Android, and Windows) which blocks ads at the network level - this means that ads are blocked before reaching your computer. What that means for you is that it blocks ads for any application - Safari, Chrome, Firefox, any browser, any app that displays ads (most useful on iOS/Android/mobile devices) - and not just Safari, like a Safari extension does. So various apps that display ads will also have those ads blocked. iOS apps/games showing ads, like news apps? It can block them too (mobile version), but the concept is the same for a native desktop app.

Cheers

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hi there,

A native ad-blocker offers a few significant advantages. I use AdGuard for macOS (which is also available on iOS, Android, and Windows) which blocks ads at the network level - this means that ads are blocked before reaching your computer. What that means for you is that it blocks ads for any application - Safari, Chrome, Firefox, any browser, any app that displays ads (most useful on iOS/Android/mobile devices) - and not just Safari, like a Safari extension does. So various apps that display ads will also have those ads blocked. iOS apps/games showing ads, like news apps? It can block them too (mobile version), but the concept is the same for a native desktop app.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarification!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.