Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi folks,

fairly new to iPadOS and am looking for an adblocker. I don’t mind using Safari but am not locked into any browser although I do like Firefox and Brave. I don’t mind paying a one-time fee but no subscriptions. What have you used/are using?

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I am currently using Wipr on my iPhone XS and iPad mini 4th generation. I use Adguard on an iPod touch 6th generation.

On my Mac mini 2018, I use the Mac version of Wipr for Safari protection. I continue to use Adguard on two other browsers on my Mac, specifically ungoogled Chromium and Waterfox. For Vivaldi, I use the native ad-blocking function.

On my Windows machines I use Adguard.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi folks,

fairly new to iPadOS and am looking for an adblocker. I don’t mind using Safari but am not locked into any browser although I do like Firefox and Brave. I don’t mind paying a one-time fee but no subscriptions. What have you used/are using?

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I use Wipr for Mac and iOS and it's been great. If you just want something you don't have to think about and doesn't break sites, Wipr is the way to go.
Adguard and 1Blocker are also just as good and more configurable than Wipr.
I used all of these and you can't go wrong with any of these products.

Reactions: Allan in T.Dot

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi folks,

Combination of lockdown and 1Blocker.

Reactions: Allan in T.Dot

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've heard of wipr but the reviews on the app store for the mac version were not so great but fantastic for iPadOS. I'll give that one a shot because 1Blocker is ridic expensive. I'll take a look at Lockdown and see what that is about as well.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Wipr used to serve me well, but it started to fail on some pages.
934F9C42-F55A-470A-9F48-3D3D6D74429D.jpeg

korbs

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2020
As for Lockdown - I find it heavy on resources, at least here on my SE 2020.

Uninstalled.

I have tried then The Guardian Firewall as suggested by an article on WIRE - funnily enough I was faced with the inability to watch my favourite Eminem's clip on YT without having to watch GERMAN commercials. The location was by default Germany, I guess it's shady anyways. [pun intended]

Uninstalled.

I am gonna stick to AdGuard Free, having been disappointed with today's tests.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.