Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Hi, I need to add a line to my verizon share everything account, and plan to get the iPhone 5s when I do. My question is, since I will be ordering at midnight and want the process to go as smoothly as possible, can I add the line today, and not have a device? Meaning, can I add the line today, but still get the iPhone 5s at $199 on Friday?

That way I could skip all the nonsense credit checks and what not while ordering at midnight, and get through checkout faster. So if anyone knows if this is possible, please let me know!

Thanks!

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Hi, I need to add a line to my verizon share everything account, and plan to get the iPhone 5s when I do. My question is, since I will be ordering at midnight and want the process to go as smoothly as possible, can I add the line today, and not have a device? Meaning, can I add the line today, but still get the iPhone 5s at $199 on Friday?

That way I could skip all the nonsense credit checks and what not while ordering at midnight, and get through checkout faster. So if anyone knows if this is possible, please let me know!

Thanks!

I asked Verizon the same thing, I was going to put a 4 onto my account until Friday but they said no.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I asked Verizon the same thing, I was going to put a 4 onto my account until Friday but they said no.

Because then they would get commission as an upgrade instead of a new activation. Or, more correctly, they would get a tiny bit of commission for activating a line without a contract. Then they know you would do the upgrade online so they would get nothing. They want you in their store on Friday to do a new activation.For Verizon, it's all about new activations with a 2 year contract. The amount of money that the regional managers are paid to drive upgrades is ridiculously low. They don't care so much about loyalty, just new adds.

In theory, this should be absolutely possible. You have a CPE( Customer Provided Equipment) device. You should be able to add a line with no contract using your own device. That line would immediately have an upgrade available providing you sign a 2 year agreement.

OP, Do you manage your account online? You can go there and there is a link to the effect of "I already have my own device I would like to activate."

Then you can do as you suggested.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Because then they would get commission as an upgrade instead of a new activation. Or, more correctly, they would get a tiny bit of commission for activating a line without a contract. Then they know you would do the upgrade online so they would get nothing. They want you in their store on Friday to do a new activation.For Verizon, it's all about new activations with a 2 year contract. The amount of money that the regional managers are paid to drive upgrades is ridiculously low. They don't care so much about loyalty, just new adds.

In theory, this should be absolutely possible. You have a CPE( Customer Provided Equipment) device. You should be able to add a line with no contract using your own device. That line would immediately have an upgrade available providing you sign a 2 year agreement.

OP, Do you manage your account online? You can go there and there is a link to the effect of "I already have my own device I would like to activate."

Then you can do as you suggested.

Yes I see the link that allows me to have my own device I want to activate, I just wanted to verify I would immediately have an upgrade available. I will right?

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yes I see the link that allows me to have my own device I want to activate, I just wanted to verify I would immediately have an upgrade available. I will right?

This has always been my experience in the past.

Worst case is there is a foul up and you don't. You can still add the line Friday morning and cancel the one you add now. But, I've seen this done hundreds of times. That being said, one never knows what may happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.