Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've just realised that on the activity app on my iPhone X it has missing data for when I don't have my Apple watch on.

I went into the health app and it's recording steps in there though.

I then went to on my iPhone, in the Health app, Health Data > Activity > Steps > Data Sources & Access and my old iPhone and watches are there but not this iPhone.

I can't see how to add this iPhone, or remove old ones? It's this possible? I'd like activity to show all data, or at least steps when I don't have my watch on.

Thanks

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Are you sure it doesn't have the current device? The device name comes from the name you gave your device, I think, so it may be showing data under what looks like an older name?

For example, mine shows iPhone7 as my phone data source, but it's no longer a 7 I'm using. Data under that device shows as of today though.

(Edit: It looks like this naming issue is a bug. I've updated my phone name in the Settings app since changing from an iPhone7, however Health is showing the source device using a much older name.)

Did you look at the 'Sources' tab in the Health App? It should list your current device. I don't see any way to add one or remove one, just the option to delete data from a device.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Are you sure it doesn't have the current device? The device name comes from the name you gave your device, I think, so it may be showing data under what looks like an older name?

For example, mine shows iPhone7 as my phone data source, but it's no longer a 7 I'm using. Data under that device shows as of today though.

(Edit: It looks like this naming issue is a bug. I've updated my phone name in the Settings app since changing from an iPhone7, however Health is showing the source device using a much older name.)

Did you look at the 'Sources' tab in the Health App? It should list your current device. I don't see any way to add one or remove one, just the option to delete data from a device.

You're right it still shows data from today and before under iPhone 7 plus, not my current iPhone X. Strange, and yes a bug must be.

So why doesn't it show up in activity? Didn't have watch on yesterday, but had phone. Health shows steps, activity doesn't? Why the mismatch?

Thanks

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re: source names: mine still shows my since sold iPhone 6. Makes sense in that that was used to record old data, so, will still be listed as that's where the old info came from. I have my current 8 listed first, Health App second, long gone 6 at bottom of list.

Re: Activity: the way I read it, it is Watch only, so, steps on the phone will not count toward Activity and phone cannot be added as a source. Or stated more correctly, it appears that the Watch Activity app does not read from Health other sources for Activity. Everything on Apple's support pages point to this. Yeah, might seem dumb, but again, makes some sense as since Activity is also measuring Stand and Exercise, steps alone are not being accurate measure for rings and the other two categories.

Aside, Steps on my phone is showing correctly: data from the old phone list under the old phone, current phone's data is showing only current phone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.