Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
My wife and I have T-Mobile and we want to add a line for our son. What is the best way to do this? I have an iPhone 12 Pro that I'll either give to him and I'll get a new phone or I'll keep that and get him a new phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My wife and I have T-Mobile and we want to add a line for our son. What is the best way to do this? I have an iPhone 12 Pro that I'll either give to him and I'll get a new phone or I'll keep that and get him a new phone.
Go to the website or use the app to add a line. The system will want to add a $35 SIM kit, but just make sure when you're adding the line that you're doing it BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

You can pick up a SIM free at an Apple store, any third party retailer (like Best Buy or Target) or pay a few bucks on Amazon or eBay for a valid SIM.

If you go the Amazon or eBay route just make sure it's the correct SIM. If you're on Prepaid, you want a prepaid SIM and postpaid for postpaid. Be careful because there are lots of expired SIMs on eBay for sale. Those are usually for testing purposes. You want a current, valid SIM and I'd suggest avoiding any SIMs meant for business accounts or specific markets/regions.

Once it arrives, contact T-Force on Facebook or T-Mobile:

They will ask you to verify your account and allow them access. Once that's done, they will want the serial number on the SIM card you have and the phone number of the line you're going to use it on.

They may or may not charge you an assistance fee. They've been on about fees lately so just be aware of that. You might be able to get them to waive it if they do.

Insert the SIM and go. That's it.

Reactions: nburwell

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Go to the website or use the app to add a line. The system will want to add a $35 SIM kit, but just make sure when you're adding the line that you're doing it BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

You can pick up a SIM free at an Apple store, any third party retailer (like Best Buy or Target) or pay a few bucks on Amazon or eBay for a valid SIM.

If you go the Amazon or eBay route just make sure it's the correct SIM. If you're on Prepaid, you want a prepaid SIM and postpaid for postpaid. Be careful because there are lots of expired SIMs on eBay for sale. Those are usually for testing purposes. You want a current, valid SIM and I'd suggest avoiding any SIMs meant for business accounts or specific markets/regions.

Once it arrives, contact T-Force on Facebook or T-Mobile:

They will ask you to verify your account and allow them access. Once that's done, they will want the serial number on the SIM card you have and the phone number of the line you're going to use it on.

They may or may not charge you an assistance fee. They've been on about fees lately so just be aware of that. You might be able to get them to waive it if they do.

Insert the SIM and go. That's it.
Thanks, but I'll need to get a new device as well. We currently have two lines and two devices, so need to add a new line and device.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, but I'll need to get a new device as well. We currently have two lines and two devices, so need to add a new line and device.
Well, if you are getting the device through T-Mobile then there's not going to be any way around the SIM kit charge.

So, in that case, just add the line and it will ask about a device and you can choose a new device. The SIM kit will automatically be added at the end. They take care of all the back end stuff so when it arrives you can just use it.

I believe the activation charge is the cost of the SIM kit now ($35), but don't be surprised if they hit you with a separate activation fee. T-Force may be able to waive that if it happens.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Well, if you are getting the device through T-Mobile then there's not going to be any way around the SIM kit charge.

So, in that case, just add the line and it will ask about a device and you can choose a new device. The SIM kit will automatically be added at the end. They take care of all the back end stuff so when it arrives you can just use it.

I believe the activation charge is the cost of the SIM kit now ($35), but don't be surprised if they hit you with a separate activation fee. T-Force may be able to waive that if it happens.
Got it, thanks. Just didn't know the best way to add a line or what the different plans/costs are. I guess it just depends on any current promos they are running.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Got it, thanks. Just didn't know the best way to add a line or what the different plans/costs are. I guess it just depends on any current promos they are running.
Yeah, the website/app will account for the promos and all that.

Two things to avoid, well three. Don't call in, don't use the chat and if you can avoid it don't go to a store.

Calling in is likely to lead to cramming, chat is useless and will also lead to cramming and going in to a store means you will get hit with an 'assistance' fee.

Reactions: rpearlberg

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Yeah, the website/app will account for the promos and all that.

Two things to avoid, well three. Don't call in, don't use the chat and if you can avoid it don't go to a store.

Calling in is likely to lead to cramming, chat is useless and will also lead to cramming and going in to a store means you will get hit with an 'assistance' fee.
Thank you! Is it worth it to move to the new Go5G Plan?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you! Is it worth it to move to the new Go5G Plan?
Well, the way I understand it is that the Go5G plans are oriented towards customers who prioritize promos. So, if you upgrade a lot and you seek out promos a lot this would be the plan. Magenta and Magenta Max are probably a bit cheaper but you aren't guaranteed to be able to partake of any promos on those plans.

But like anything (most of the time), your bill is going to increase if you switch.

I can't speak to all the specific details though. I just know what I've read/heard. I'm on a grandfathered Simple Choice plan from 2015 and I don't usually seek out promos - so there's not going to be any moving for me.

Reactions: rpearlberg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.