Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I go to "System Preference", "Print & Fax", click + and it goes back to System Preference.

Sounds like maybe that pref pane file is corrupt. On Mountain Lion if I click the + then select add printer I get the below box to select the printer from.

What OS version are you on? If Lion or Mountain Lion, do a command-r boot and reinstall the OS. That should fix the broken pref pane.

UFI8t.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As far as I can tell, I have X10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I just finished repairing the HD with first aid. This is a 2006 MacBook upgraded to 10.6.8

If you have the Snow Leopard DVD, you might try a reinstall. It does sound like that pref pane is corrupt. From what I recall from Snow Leopard it worked just like I described in my post about Mountain Lion.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I don't have a Snow Leopard CD, I purchased this Mac as is. It's a 2006 MacBook A1181, It has been upgraded to X10.6.8. now, if I have to reinstall an OS, what would you recomend ? Do I stay with Snow Leopaed or go to Mountain Lion ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't have a Snow Leopard CD, I purchased this Mac as is. It's a 2006 MacBook A1181, It has been upgraded to X10.6.8. now, if I have to reinstall an OS, what would you recomend ? Do I stay with Snow Leopaed or go to Mountain Lion ?
The maximum OS your MacBook will support is Lion 10.7.5. It will not support ML. You can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.