Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Looking for opinions.

I have a new 1tb SSD drive on the way to replace an older 128mb SSD that just died. The drive is in an external Thunderbolt adapter.

Just wondering if I should make this drive my boot drive, or keep my boot drive as the existing 128gb (didn't remember it was that small) internal SSD?

Thanks for reading,
David

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have booted off of externals on Macs for many, many years (Firewire, USB, Thunderbolt) and I have never had an issue with it. The Thunderbolt external drives may not have the same max throughput as some of the faster internal drives, but the random 4K speeds are really good (which is what you mostly feel under normal usage other than large file transfers).

I prefer booting off of Thunderbolt drives as opposed to USB-C because with Thunderbolt it behaves more like an internal drive and allows you to see all of the SMART status codes and drive info using utilities like DriveDX or smartctl.

I have had some crazy configurations and daisy chains, and still never had an issue with booting off of the externals.

There are some really good deals on NVMe drives now. On Amazon I see a TeamGroup 4TB Gen 3 Drive (MP34 - which is a good drive) for less than $180, and they also have the Samsung 990 Pro Gen4 4TB drive going for $279.

A 4TB NVMe boot drive from Apple would cost you over $1,000 - and is stuck inside the system. With external boot drives you can continue using them on future Macs.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I have booted off of externals on Macs for many, many years (Firewire, USB, Thunderbolt) and I have never had an issue with it. The Thunderbolt external drives may not have the same max throughput as some of the faster internal drives, but the random 4K speeds are really good (which is what you mostly feel under normal usage other than large file transfers).

I prefer booting off of Thunderbolt drives as opposed to USB-C because with Thunderbolt it behaves more like an internal drive and allows you to see all of the SMART status codes and drive info using utilities like DriveDX or smartctl.

I have had some crazy configurations and daisy chains, and still never had an issue with booting off of the externals.

There are some really good deals on NVMe drives now. On Amazon I see a TeamGroup 4TB Gen 3 Drive (MP34 - which is a good drive) for less than $180, and they also have the Samsung 990 Pro Gen4 4TB drive going for $279.

A 4TB NVMe boot drive from Apple would cost you over $1,000 - and is stuck inside the system. With external boot drives you can continue using them on future Macs.
Awesome thks for the reply Mike.

Yea the old Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter that the drive is going into was used as the boot drive for my previous 2011 Mini and it totally gave that machine years of new life after replacing the boot hard drive. I just wanted to make sure it would be an issue now.

Whats the recommended way to format the new SSD and have it be my boot drive? I should be able choose which drive is the target correct?

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Whats the recommended way to format the new SSD and have it be my boot drive? I should be able choose which drive is the target correct?

I just create a bootable usb installer from the downloaded MacOS installer. Choose which macOS version you are using below and cut and paste the command into terminal. Rename the last part to what the name of your USB flash drive is (this will be erased). If you name the USB flash drive 'MyVolume' you won't need to change anything...

macOS Sonoma​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Ventura​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Monterey​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Big Sur​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

On Intel Macs after rebooting hold down the option key, and you will be able to select the usb installer to boot from and perform the installation.

On the 2018 Mac Mini they have the T2 security setting that you need to first set to allow booting from an external.

Boot into recovery mode (Hold CMD + R when booting, release when you see the Apple logo).​
Go to Utilities - Startup Security. Select a user that is admin and enter the password.​
Select the radio button for Allow Booting From External.​

Hopefully that is everything...

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I just create a bootable usb installer from the downloaded MacOS installer. Choose which macOS version you are using below and cut and paste the command into terminal. Rename the last part to what the name of your USB flash drive is (this will be erased). If you name the USB flash drive 'MyVolume' you won't need to change anything...

macOS Sonoma​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Ventura​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Monterey​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Big Sur​

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

On Intel Macs after rebooting hold down the option key, and you will be able to select the usb installer to boot from and perform the installation.

On the 2018 Mac Mini they have the T2 security setting that you need to first set to allow booting from an external.

Boot into recovery mode (Hold CMD + R when booting, release when you see the Apple logo).​
Go to Utilities - Startup Security. Select a user that is admin and enter the password.​
Select the radio button for Allow Booting From External.​

Hopefully that is everything...
Wow thanks for all this info...its very extensive and very, very handy.

I'm running into an issue with the disks format. What should I initially format it as? I've tried APFS and OS Extended Journal and neither seems to work. I either get errors copying the bootable installer to the SSD, or when it does copy, I get an invalid format error when trying to run the installer.

And honestly I'm starting to think this Seagate adapter is a bit wonky as well. A few times I've had the screen flash and the disk get unmounted.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I've never had an issue erasing the disk as APFS GUID (you have to make sure you erase the disk and not the volume).

In Disk Utility make sure you have 'Show All Devices' selected instead of 'Show Only Volumes' in the View menu.

If that is what you are doing - then maybe the issue is with the Seagate adapter. I just ordered the Acasis TBU405 Thunderbolt enclosure for around $100 (it is $119 and then they have a $20 coupon) to boot another one of my old Macs from.

Since I just ordered one and used the coupon, I am not sure if that is the reason it is not showing the $20 coupon for me or if the coupon is gone for everyone.

This is the drive enclosure that I ordered. I'm thinking this one will keep the drive decently cool, but they also have a more expensive model that has a fan built in:

Hope you are able to get this worked out.

Reactions: picpicmac

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I've never had an issue erasing the disk as APFS GUID (you have to make sure you erase the disk and not the volume).

In Disk Utility make sure you have 'Show All Devices' selected instead of 'Show Only Volumes' in the View menu.

If that is what you are doing - then maybe the issue is with the Seagate adapter. I just ordered the Acasis TBU405 Thunderbolt enclosure for around $100 (it is $119 and then they have a $20 coupon) to boot another one of my old Macs from.

Since I just ordered one and used the coupon, I am not sure if that is the reason it is not showing the $20 coupon for me or if the coupon is gone for everyone.

This is the drive enclosure that I ordered. I'm thinking this one will keep the drive decently cool, but they also have a more expensive model that has a fan built in:

Hope you are able to get this worked out.
Thanks for all the help Mike.

I was able to successfully format the disk as APSF. These are the choices I made in formatting the disk.
But then I get an error in terminal. APFS disks cannot be used as bootable media.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.53.56 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.53.56 am.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.50.49 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 10.50.49 am.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 30

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
You need to point the terminal command at a USB flash drive to make a macOS bootable installer. I think that might be the issue.

Or you could probably just run the installer and install it on the SSD from within your current environment - but I have always booted from a flash drive and installed that way.

Reactions: dvdchance

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
You need to point the terminal command at a USB flash drive to make a macOS bootable installer. I think that might be the issue.

Or you could probably just run the installer and install it on the SSD from within your current environment - but I have always booted from a flash drive and installed that way.
Thank you so, so much. Your guidance totally lead me out of the forest on this.

I was able to successfully run the installer from the current drive and it installed flawlessly.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's great to hear. I hope the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter works good for you. I had a GoFlex, but it wasn't Thunderbolt so it is long gone by now.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
That's great to hear. I hope the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter works good for you. I had a GoFlex, but it wasn't Thunderbolt so it is long gone by now.

Looks like that Seagate adapter has gone bad after all.

After running fine for a few days, my general instability returned, then took a turn worse. Now no drive gets recognised in the GoFlex, and the video going thru it keeps blinking off for a few seconds till returning.

So now I'm looking for what are my options.

With my setup I can't connect my monitor direct to the Mini cause then it doesn't get signal. Is there a modern equivalent to the GoFlex I have that isn't priced crazy?

Or I might just get a new monitor and an USB-C adapter to use the SSD with. Probably my best option.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I really recommend going with a Thunderbolt enclosure if you are using it as a boot drive.

I just recently posted an enclosure and drive and posted the results here. It competes with the speed of an internal 1TB drive in the new M3 iMacs:

If you want to use two thunderbolt ports available, you can use the separate enclosure and a $10 usb-c to display port adapter that I have used previously and they work well (Newer Technology USB-C to DisplayPort 8K Display Adapter). Otherwise to get a dock that does both will be more expensive.

I posted a link to the USB-C to DisplayPort adapter in a different thread - and for some reason the link does not work unless you cut and paste it into your browser (following the link from this page brings you to a laptop for some reason):
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTCDP14

You also have an option of going with HDMI instead of DisplayPort if you prefer.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I really recommend going with a Thunderbolt enclosure if you are using it as a boot drive.

I just recently posted an enclosure and drive and posted the results here. It competes with the speed of an internal 1TB drive in the new M3 iMacs:

If you want to use two thunderbolt ports available, you can use the separate enclosure and a $10 usb-c to display port adapter that I have used previously and they work well (Newer Technology USB-C to DisplayPort 8K Display Adapter). Otherwise to get a dock that does both will be more expensive.

I posted a link to the USB-C to DisplayPort adapter in a different thread - and for some reason the link does not work unless you cut and paste it into your browser (following the link from this page brings you to a laptop for some reason):
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTCDP14

You also have an option of going with HDMI instead of DisplayPort if you prefer.
The cable coming from my monitor has a different connector than the adapter you posted a link to. It's the black cable. The adapter it connects to is the white 1 in the photo. If my memory is correct it came with my 2011 Mini.

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpeg
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 36

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
The cable coming from my monitor has a different connector than the adapter you posted a link to. It's the black cable. The adapter it connects to is the white 1 in the photo. If my memory is correct it came with my 2011 Mini.
That looks like a Mini DVI port. They make Mini DVI to display port adapters or HDMI adapters (which is what it looks like you have - I forget what came with the Mac Minis back then). Or if it is Mini-DVI to DVI, then you might need a different adapter for your monitor that converts it to HDMI or DisplayPort. You would just need that extra adapter if your monitor does not have HDMI or DisplayPort connections.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
That looks like a Mini DVI port. They make Mini DVI to display port adapters or HDMI adapters (which is what it looks like you have - I forget what came with the Mac Minis back then). Or if it is Mini-DVI to DVI, then you might need a different adapter for your monitor that converts it to HDMI or DisplayPort. You would just need that extra adapter if your monitor does not have HDMI or DisplayPort connections.
Hello again, sorry to keep bothering you but you have been so helpful perhaps you can spot my issues.

I decided to buy an external drive enclosure and connect with a USB-C cable. The problem is I am only getting USB2 speeds of 35MB/s write and 40 MB/s read.

The drive enclosure is this: 2.5 Inch Hard Drive Enclosure, 6Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 1 to SATA III High-Speed Transmission for 7-9.5MM HDD SSD Enclosure, USB-C to USB-A, Support UASP Trim for Windows PS4 Xbox (Blue)
and the cable: AINOPE USB C to USB C Charger Cable 60W 2-Pack 6.6ft Type C Charging Cable Cord Right Angle Fast Charging USBC to USBC Cable for iPhone 15 Pro Max Plus Samsung S23 Note 20 iPad Pro Air Mini MacBook

I should be getting faster speeds then I am correct?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
That is a charging cable NOT a data transfer cable! It's limited - by design - to USB 2 speeds (480Mbps) which is what you are getting.
Get a USB 3.1 5Gbps DATA cable for that enclosure.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Last edited:

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, that should be the correct type of cable.
I don't know which SSD you have, but the enclosure you linked to is capable of up to 500Bps, which is a bit slower than TB1, but probably as good as your SSD.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, that should be the correct type of cable.
I don't know which SSD you have, but the enclosure you linked to is capable of up to 500Bps, which is a bit slower than TB1, but probably as good as your SSD.
Great...just ordered one, on the way.

Now on to my second remaining issue. My display.

Since my monitor only has VGA or DVI-D, I got this cable : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8UQJY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1, HDMI to DVI-D.

Of course it doesn't work. Whats odd is it will work if I have the Mini booted up, and switch cables from the thunderbolt to this one. But if I boot up with this cable, I see the apple, then it flashes to a blank white screen.

Is it a bad cable choice again?

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but it looks like this cable would work to adapt from your Mac Mini's Thunderbolt 3 port (with this USB-C adapter) to the existing adapter you are using that then plugs into your monitor.

It states that it will work with the AppleMini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

Its around $10, and the worse that can happen if it does not work is another return to Amazon, I guess.

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but it looks like this cable would work to adapt from your Mac Mini's Thunderbolt 3 port (with this USB-C adapter) to the existing adapter you are using that then plugs into your monitor.

It states that it will work with the AppleMini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

Its around $10, and the worse that can happen if it does not work is another return to Amazon, I guess.
No worries Mike, here in the USA our geese are already on edge this time of year as it is, so it's more of a challenge I guess. lol

So the adapter you listed I would connect to the existing adapter I have that connects to the cable coming from my display? Thats the white adapter in the pic.

Then connect that to my TB3 port. Thats the only way I see it connecting.

I'm starting to think this is that rare occasion where I'm better off just getting a modern display that will work with just an HDMI cable and be done with it. I'm sure someone in my town can use this monitor so I could just pass it to them.

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 29

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
So the adapter you listed I would connect to the existing adapter I have that connects to the cable coming from my display? Thats the white adapter in the pic.

Then connect that to my TB3 port. Thats the only way I see it connecting.

Yes, the adapter converts from Thunderbolt / USB-C to Mini Displayport and the product mentions the adapter that it looks like you are using: AppleMini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I was just looking at this again, and perhaps I mistook your adapter for the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. Your adapter might be different and might not work with this. In the customer review section on Amazon, I came across this comment:

This adapter does not work with the Apple display port to DVI converter.

Edit: I have been contacted by the distributers of this DVI converter and they have been very generous in refunding me for the product. I must say the customer service has been extremely good. The USB-C to Mini Display port adapter unfortunately still does not work with apple A1305 adapter. But I do believe this to be my fault as I should have originally ordered a USB-C to DVI dongle instead of trying to have a USB-C to Mini Display Port connect to Mini Display Port to DVI dongle.

I guess I'm just living that dongle life now.

Thanks to the distributers who refunded me for the converter and worked with me as I was traveling overseas.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Maybe a better option would be this (which is what the Amazon comment I posted above was referring to):

I think I was getting confused and originally thinking that your monitor only had Mini DisplayPort, and after looking at the pictures you posted again, realize that Mini Displayport does not need to be in the picture at all. You basically need to go from Thunderbolt to your monitor's DVI port...

So really the above adapter should do what you need, which is connect your DVI monitor port to the Mac's Thunderbolt 3 port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.