Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Years ago I imported a VHS tape (PAL) into iMovie (using a Mini-DV video camera connected via Firewire) and would now like to add chapter markers to it and export it as an MP4 file. I might also need to trim the start/end.

Do I need to add the chapter markers first to the .DV file, or after having converted it to an MP4 file?
Which software should I use for this?
Actually I've already managed to convert the .DV into an .MP4 using very easily FFMPEG in the OSX Terminal. This Stack Overflow posting explained the following command which worked:

Code:
ffmpeg -i VHS_VIDEO.dv -vf yadif CONVERTED_VIDEO.mp4

I never got around to properly learn video editing (I played around with iMovie back in the day and got to learn some basic editing with it (earlier versions were simpler to use) until I found it too limiting for anything serious), but noticed that for trimming an MP4 today I can use QuickTime Player's (10.5) "Edit"-"Trim" menu option, but I see no way to add track markers there.
iMovie (10.1.12) on the other hand has a "Mark"-"Add marker" menu option -is this it? Will this be kept if I do all my edits (trim, add all the markers I need to split up different parts of the video), and export it as an MP4 file? I didn't see any way of adding any text/comments to the markers, but maybe I'm looking for something that isn't possible with videos?

I've been holding off buying Final Cut Pro (FCP) for years (I have a bunch of vacation and family recordings on Mini-DV tapes that badly need editing), but as usual the App Store apps from Apple always demand the latest OS, and I can only (officially at least) run 10.14 Mojave on my mid-2010 Mac Pro, so it'll be a hassle to buy it on a different Mac (from a friend etc.) using my Apple ID, then back on my 10.14 Mac download the previously purchased app where I'll be asked if I want to download the latest compatible version. It's worked with other apps that currently are out of bounds because I don't have the latest OS :)

Another idea.... I came across several postings praising the free DaVinci Resolve -apparently the free version is more than good enough for amateurs like myself, and although the latest version (18) won't work with MacOS 10.14 Mojave, luck had it that I had downloaded a compatible version a few years back, so I've now re-installed version 16.2.1. It's a little overwhelming, but I'm sure there are YouTube videos which explain the basics to get started. Is this worth spending time getting into, or would you advise that I get into Final Cut Pro when I want something beyond iMovie (i.e. simple to use, but not as limiting), or will DaVinci Resolve 16 work just as well (or better), and be relatively simple to use as well (once I get past the basics)? And of course be totally free as opposed to FCP 👍

Last edited:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Maybe this:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.