Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gorion

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
I'd like to add a 500 GB HD in bay 2. Does anyone have suggestions on which drive to get?

And when connecting the HD, do I just connect the HD to the thing that slides out of the bay, then slide that thing back in (and the HD will be detected automattically?)

Thanks!

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
The new harddrive is automatically detected, but may need to be formatted for OS X. It's the easiest thing in the whole world -- even butterfingers like me can do it.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Western Digital, though Segate and Hitachi will be launching their 1TB drives soon...

I'm holding off for those to hit the market - then I'll get two :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Western Digital, though Segate and Hitachi will be launching their 1TB drives soon...

I'm holding off for those to hit the market - then I'll get two :D

The problem with that plan will be cost. The largest drives always seem to cost more $ per Gb than the smaller ones, simply as they are the largest/newest. Hopefully the 1Tb drives will push the price of the 750Gb ones down though...

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
If drive make isn't as important, OWC has 500GB Maxtors for $133 right now and there are several other good deals on other makes going on right now at dealmac.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
The problem with that plan will be cost. The largest drives always seem to cost more $ per Gb than the smaller ones, simply as they are the largest/newest. Hopefully the 1Tb drives will push the price of the 750Gb ones down though...

Well once the TB drives come out it'll push the 750's down to around $340 price bracket so the TB's can get around $400 to $500 bracket (retail)

Where to find out the launch date of TB Sata drives? :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.