Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJisohsocool

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
So Im wondering if anyone has tried this before, Adding magnets or a magnetic strip of magnetic tape, to the back of a folio case so that the smartcover part stays closed when opened. Heres a pic where the magnet would be

8Z5DSpc.jpg

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Done it many times, most recently with an original leather Smart Case for the iPad mini 2. I refuse to use a case without this feature

dvboy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
The cover it's self is already magnetic,so the strip of metal on the back of the case does not need to be magnetic,just metal.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
When I had my iPad 3rd Gen, I had a Deviceware back cover and the Apple Smart front cover. The Deviceware back cover had a single metal strip for the front cover to "latch" onto. I loved it and was thinking about doing the same thing to my Apple Smart Case on my Air. I was going to see if the front cover of the Smart Case is strong enough to stick to a plain piece of metal or if a weak magnet was needed. It already kinda sticks to the back of the case, but it's not strong enough to stay there.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I bought some 3M strips a couple years ago from a forum member. Can't remember what they're called at the moment. They're not magnets but attract the magnets from the case. I put them inside the case and they work great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.