Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Hi everybody,
I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times, but I could not find the threads.
I currently have an Al iMac that I added Crucial memory to. Easy. I'm thinking of getting a MacBook as well. Is memory as easy to install in a MacBook as it is an iMac? Thank you.
Morod

tringo

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
Yea, I found it embarrassingly easy. Took about 5 minutes and made a HUGE difference.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Thanks to all for your quick replies! Now if it was only as easy to decide on which MacBook. I will be going to the local Apple Store soon to see them in person, but so far I believe the MB Pro is more machine than I need and the MB Air is not really what I need. Of course that leaves the White and Black MBs. As much as I love looking at my Al iMac, I know that form follows function, so color will not be as important as price/specs. I would mostly be using the laptop for Hoyle Solitaire (the wife loves it), Pages compositions, iPhoto galleries and web surfing. Certainly no heavy lifting. I should also mention that I have never considered even owning a laptop until I recently caught the Apple bug. Dang, an expensive habit!
Again, thanks for the memory info!
Morod

stuff14

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks to all for your quick replies! Now if it was only as easy to decide on which MacBook. I will be going to the local Apple Store soon to see them in person, but so far I believe the MB Pro is more machine than I need and the MB Air is not really what I need. Of course that leaves the White and Black MBs. As much as I love looking at my Al iMac, I know that form follows function, so color will not be as important as price/specs. I would mostly be using the laptop for Hoyle Solitaire (the wife loves it), Pages compositions, iPhoto galleries and web surfing. Certainly no heavy lifting. I should also mention that I have never considered even owning a laptop until I recently caught the Apple bug. Dang, an expensive habit!
Again, thanks for the memory info!
Morod

Honestly, it sounds like the base model would be fine for you. You already have a powerful iMac, and this seems to be more of a "hobby machine" for you. Also, look at Apple's selection of refurbished computers, they have some awesome deals. For example, look at this model:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FB062LL/B

It's the last-generation mid-range MacBook, which is very comparable to the base model, but with a faster (albeit, older) processor, and a Superdrive. It also includes the remote that is no longer part of the package with the new models, if that matters to you. What you're missing out on, is really just the new Penryn chip, which has reportedly made very little overall difference.

If you are interested in the black model, Apple offers in in their refurbished store from time to time (around once a week) for only $1049USD, which is a steal. But you have to be fast, as they sell very quickly at this price. Along with the black exterior, this model has a larger, 160GB hard drive for only $49USD more.

However, all the notebooks I've suggested only have 1GB RAM, while I would suggest a 2GB minimum for Leopard. But as the other replies have stated, it's a breeze with the MacBook, and you can go to Crucial or NewEgg for dirt cheap, quality RAM.

Whichever choice you make, I think any of these machines will suit you very well, and you will be happy with your iMac's new friend. :apple:

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
The only problem I had was finding the correct sized screwdriver. Afterwards, it was incredibly easy.

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
The only problem I had was finding the correct sized screwdriver. Afterwards, it was incredibly easy.

Same here. I've replaced memory to both MB and iMac and it's incredibly easy. Just make sure you apply firm pressure to feel the "click" when you insert it.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch

It's a Philips Size 0 screwdriver, isn't it? I made sure I bought one in advance, I've wrecked so many of those kind of screws in the past by not using the right screwdriver.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
VERY easy, though the imac is easier because of the fact it has one screw, but the macbook has an advantage of being easier to put it in the right position without carrying your 25 lb imac:p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.