Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I've successfully curated an NVMe kext for my Samsung 960 M.2 NVMe SSD drive using the Github process. You can see my efforts here.

But there's one more thing I need to do, and that's to add the NVMe kext to my Recovery HD so that when I boot from it I can mount/read/write/repair my NVMe SSD/HDD Fusion Drive (FD). Without it I can't see the NVMe volume, therefore I can't mount the FD if I ever needed to (the NVMe is in a FD with a 2TB WD Black Caviar HDD). I do have a separate HDD with macOS and the NVMe kext installed, so I can work from that instead, but I want my Recovery HD to be able to mount/read/write the M.2 SSD.

I followed this method to try and add the NVMe kext to my Recovery HD, but it hasn't worked - it doesn't/can't see the NVMe or FD (the HDD shows up on its own but obviously doesn't show any files - it would be dangerous to work on it as that would no doubt destroy the FD). The good thing so far is I haven't broken the Recovery HD (phew).

Does anyone have any experience in adding kexts to/modifying the Recovery HD so I can make this work? I realise that future macOS updates will probably break the Recovery HD.

TheBeastMid2012;-)

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
Well, what you're trying to achieve is not gonna work on a real Mac, I ran in the same Problem yesterday,... Even with SI disabled. The Link you referring to is form the hackintosh guys.

Last edited:

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I followed Steps 4 onwards from this process (plus added the step to add the NVMe kext curated from the Github process) which should be compatible with doing it on a real cMP as it's just terminal commands. If anyone knows of better instructions then please share. I'm looking for someone with specific experience and knowledge with tinkering around with the Recovery HD *and* kexts to share their knowledge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.