Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grunt0300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Nokomis, Fl. U.S.A
I have a song in the "music" folder of my iPhone 7 Plus, and i'd like to move it into the "ringtones" section of my sound & haptics folder so it can become the phone's ringtone. Using iTunes hasn't helped. Is there an app that will do this job for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

grunt0300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Nokomis, Fl. U.S.A
Didn't work. When i drag and drop ringtone into "tones" it won't go. Message says that this song can't be played on my iPhone. WTF??? The ringtone is the one for Gibbs' phone on NCIS.

grunt0300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Nokomis, Fl. U.S.A
OK, i think i've found the problem. My Mac(2010) is too old. I've got High Sierra(10.13) on it, and that's as high as i can go. The iTunes won't work properly with my iPhone 7 Plus, and i think that's why it can't put my song into ringtones. I can't download a newer version of iTunes, and it won't let me download GarageBand at all. The annoying part of all this is that i have 8 or 9gbs of music in my iTunes, but if i want that particular ringtone i have to pay $1.29, and buy it from the iTunes Store. There's something wrong about that.:confused:

Last edited:

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
If your songs are compressed in mp4 (and not mp3), you can copy a song file from iTunes library, change the extension of the copy from m4a to m4r and drop it as a ringtone. Don't know if only the first 30 seconds will be used, but that's a start.

(Hint: iPhone ringtones are m4a files with a m4r extension)

TandC

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Making it harder then it is just use safari and take the link from YouTube and download it with any mp3 download, open garage band drag the file in and edit the length, save, rename and assign it to ringtone or notification or contact.

Reactions: bunnyechoes

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The app IMazing allows you to drag and drop the sound file right into their app, and it will place the tone right where it is supposed to be. It works very well. The app also does a fast job of offering better backup options than Apple does with the iPhone and iPad.

grunt0300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Nokomis, Fl. U.S.A
Making it harder then it is just use safari and take the link from YouTube and download it with any mp3 download, open garage band drag the file in and edit the length, save, rename and assign it to ringtone or notification or contact.
That did it, thanks.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
If your songs are compressed in mp4 (and not mp3), you can copy a song file from iTunes library, change the extension of the copy from m4a to m4r and drop it as a ringtone. Don't know if only the first 30 seconds will be used, but that's a start.

(Hint: iPhone ringtones are m4a files with a m4r extension)
30 seconds is the maximum, the file should be trimmed to that length or less. I use the Hot Butter version of Popcorn which is really cool, I have liked it for almost 50 years.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
iMazing can be used to add ringtones. Very easy to do it. Simply drag and drop the audio file. Free version is enough for the task.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
iMazing can be used to add ringtones. Very easy to do it. Simply drag and drop the audio file. Free version is enough for the task.
Another plug for iMazing. Change the format to .m4r and use iMazing to easily transfer to your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.