Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Hi,

Is it possible to add a second hard drive to a 13" macbook pro 2015 model?

Either a SSD (not pcie) or a HDD would be good for me.

Thanks

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Wow ok that's a deal breaker for me.

So you can't have 2 hard drives in those MacBook pros?

Crazy.

zergslayer69

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
None of the newer macbook pros, or any macbooks allow 2 drives. You'd have to go quite a few generations back and see if you can pull out the disc drive and put a hard drive inside. But yea, if you want 2 bays in a laptop, you best rule out all macbooks from this point. I doubt a refresh possibly coming out this year will change that.

lostinforums

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
None of the newer macbook pros, or any macbooks allow 2 drives. You'd have to go quite a few generations back and see if you can pull out the disc drive and put a hard drive inside. But yea, if you want 2 bays in a laptop, you best rule out all macbooks from this point. I doubt a refresh possibly coming out this year will change that.

Thanks guys. I guess it's the same for a 15" 2015 mbp?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Why did everyone assume OP is talking about the retina model? He just said 13'' MacBook Pro 2015. You can actually remove the DVD drive in this version and put a 2.5" HDD or SSD. http://www.apple.com/hk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

That's probably because that's not a 2015 model. That's a 2012 model that Apple still sells.

OP explicitly stated "2015 model" which implies the Retina one.

Not to mention, I would never recommend anybody buy that 2012 13" model. I could, but I wouldn't be able to do it with a straight face.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
That's probably because that's not a 2015 model. That's a 2012 model that Apple still sells.

OP explicitly stated "2015 model" which implies the Retina one.

Not to mention, I would never recommend anybody buy that 2012 13" model. I could, but I wouldn't be able to do it with a straight face.

I would have guessed the same at the beginning but realizing that most people won't know if the MBP is 2012 model. In fact, most people will think it's 2015 or 2016 because Apple is still selling them. OP didn't say rMBP or used the short term MBP so I have a feeling that he is an average consumer which may think the MBP is an 2015 or 2016 model.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I would have guessed the same at the beginning but realizing that most people won't know if the MBP is 2012 model. In fact, most people will think it's 2015 or 2016 because Apple is still selling them. OP didn't say rMBP or used the short term MBP so I have a feeling that he is an average consumer which may think the MBP is an 2015 or 2016 model.
- He did use the shorthand "MBP" (as the first person in the thread even) and also seemed to know that the 2015 models use PCIe SSDs (or at least what it is). I'd say he knows what he's talking about so far as model years go.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

Yeah, that's possible that they may think that the non retina model is actually a 2015. Hell, just yesterday, after that MacBook Air ram change on Apple's site, I saw that the landing page for the Air said, "Latest Intel Processors", and took that to mean they bumped them to Skylake too. Looking at the finer print later, I could see they were still using the older CPUs (certainly not the "latest.") So, Apple's product pages can be rather ambiguous, and most likely that's deliberate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.