Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
hmmmm - trying to add Thunderbolt 3 to my Mac Pro 2013...

I use a Sonnet Echo Express III-D external PCIe expansion box for a few storage cards, and I am upgrading my Echo Express to TB3 via a TB3 Upgrade card from Sonnet. This card replaces the TB2 card in the Echo Express and the new TB3 card has 2 x TB3 connections.

I will connect the Echo Express box and the Mac Pro using TB3 and an Apple TB3->TB2 adapter).

Hence, when connecting the Echo Express box with my Mac Pro, I will have one TB3 connection to spare.

Will this setup effectively give me a TB3 connection on my Mac Pro, albeit with a slower transfer rate, because it will still be limited by the TB2 connection between the Echo Express box and the Mac Pro?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Basically. The TB3 port works at TB2 speed. What you gain is a Thunderbolt/USB-C port that can connect USB-C devices (including USB 3.1 gen 2), USB-C displays, USB-C display adapters, Thunderbolt 3 devices and displays and display adapters (up to 20 Gbps).

There exist Thunderbolt 2 devices that will let you use USB controller PCIe cards that support USB 3.1 gen 2 - but Thunderbolt 2 is rare compared to Thunderbolt 3 and the PCIe cards don't have the USB-C display capability (unless the PCIe card is something like the Sunix UPD2018 but that requires a DisplayPort connection and it only supports 8 Gbps of data instead of 10 Gbps and will be limited to 4 Gbps of data while in a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure).

Since the TB3 port works at TB2 speed, you are limited to 20 Gbps of data and display bandwidth - which means you are limited to one 4K 60Hz display or two 1440p60 displays. A TB3 device can connect two displays while TB2 devices can only connect one display (in that case you need a second TB2 device to connect a second display). For example, you can now use a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter to connect two 1440p 60Hz displays.

Reactions: Killerbob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.