Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koobs123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Okay so here is the Down low on whats poppin off.

1. tethered my iphone to my power book g4 using PDA net.

2. used a computer-computer network to do this

3. now i want to somehow turn this into a wireless home network... how do I accomplish this?

NOTE: Reason I want to do this is because we can only get EVDO internet at home, its 80 bucks a month for 6 gigs, I have 6 gigs on my iphone so why not just use that?

Koobs123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
anyone?

I think what I need to figure out is how to share internet from a computer-to-computer network.

Because when I try to now it warns me that it will change my current network settings and it stops getting connection to iphone.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Maybe it's just me but the description of your setup doesn't make sense.

I just looked up PDAnet as I wasn't familiar with it. Seems like an interesting concept. It reads like all you have to do is tell your other home computers to join the computer-to-computer wireless network created on your PowerBook.

Even if this works I don't think it will fix what you want it to fix. 3G speeds are nowhere near 6GB. I don't know what the cap is but even if it is theoretically 6GB you won't see that practically. Here is a link to wikipedia on 3G speeds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3g#Speed). Starts in the KB range and goes up to the single-digit MB range.

Koobs123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
you honestly thought i would try and get 6gigs DL speeds?

lol

6 gigs is the total data usage i get a month man.

DL speeds are 1500kbps in full bar range, and about 500kbps at 75% service.

I figured it out though, you need to reset all the settings after you turn internet sharing on.

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Well, you didn't specify if you meant bitrate or allotment. Perhaps you should be more specific next time considering that no one else answered your posting as it was somewhat vague and you just assumed people knew what PDAnet was as well as EVDO.

For those who don't know, PDAnet is an app for a jailbroken iPhone and it essentially turns your iPhone into a WiFi router between an ad-hoc network of computers and the phone's 3G (and presumably EDGE) internet connection.

EVDO is apparently a kind of wireless broadband connection for people who can't get DSL or cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.