Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
Are these cumulative or at least can you restart the clock? I bought an Apple TV last November and got my free year. This week I bought both a 13" MBP and 27" iMac, both of which are offering me a free year. Haven't done anything with them, yet, but can they all be added up or at least start my year from this month?

Thanks!

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
Interesting. I must have misunderstood the original announcement. I thought you'd get a free year of Apple TV+ for any new Apple device you bought. That made sense to keep giving away TV+ to encourage customers to upgrade hardware on a more regular basis.

Oh well. It's an okay service, but not something I would pay extra for.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Since we are close to hitting the 1 year start for this program it will be interesting to see how many cancel the subscription or how many renew. Have on my calendar to cancel

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Interesting. I must have misunderstood the original announcement. I thought you'd get a free year of Apple TV+ for any new Apple device you bought. That made sense to keep giving away TV+ to encourage customers to upgrade hardware on a more regular basis.

Oh well. It's an okay service, but not something I would pay extra for.

People will buy Apple devices regardless of free ATV+ or not. The question is: will they buy ATV+ subscriptions...

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
People will buy Apple devices regardless of free ATV+ or not. The question is: will they buy ATV+ subscriptions...
But would the free AppleTV+ be enough of a carrot for people to buy them more often?

As for buying the subscription, I don’t think it’s a strong enough value yet. There’s enough for a short binge every so often, but nothing long term.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Since we are close to hitting the 1 year start for this program it will be interesting to see how many cancel the subscription or how many renew. Have on my calendar to cancel
Apple's answer seems to be Apple One. The pricing implies it is marketed toward current and would be Apple Music subscribers. For One Individual and One Family tiers, paying $5 more gets you Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, and iCloud. I can see Apple extending Apple TV+ subscription by few months. But beyond that downplays the appeal of Apple One subscriptions.

P.S. As a fan of old music, I don't really care for Apple Music. I wish Apple would make a bundle that includes 2 TB iCloud instead of Apple Music for $14.99/month.

Last edited:

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
My partner bought her Apple device a few months ago and has a one year subscription. Although there are several high quality programs to watch, I definitely won't be paying for my subscription in November when my free trial runs out. It is going to be interesting to see how Apple TV + develops in the future and how much more it will offer, but there is certainly a great deal of competition.

i can see Apple offering + as part of a bundle which might be interesting. What would be interesting is if Apple had a subscription for all its movies in the store, but I doubt that would happen. Sadly, the vast majority of older movies are ridiculously over-priced, that if I bought any I would feel like a real sucker. I don't think the high echelons of the Apple regime really understand how simply irritating some of Apple's services can be at times.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
My partner bought her Apple device a few months ago and has a one year subscription. Although there are several high quality programs to watch, I definitely won't be paying for my subscription in November when my free trial runs out. It is going to be interesting to see how Apple TV + develops in the future and how much more it will offer, but there is certainly a great deal of competition.

i can see Apple offering + as part of a bundle which might be interesting. What would be interesting is if Apple had a subscription for all its movies in the store, but I doubt that would happen. Sadly, the vast majority of older movies are ridiculously over-priced, that if I bought any I would feel like a real sucker. I don't think the high echelons of the Apple regime really understand how simply irritating some of Apple's services can be at times.

They have...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.