Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm fairly certain that's much better than some ridiculous wobble if you place it camera side down.

Yes, but people like Cortona and many more will soon be spinning how a phone that rocks a bit on a flat service has some huge benefit.

----------

Thin is a utility.

In this specific context, what is the utility of an even thinner iPhone 6?

Spin like "why make a thicker phone" and similar don't apply- no one is suggesting thicker. The suggestion is that Apple could have left "thin" at the 5s level (I'm still to see or hear ONE public gripe about the 5s being too thick) or thin the 6 to yield a flush camera lens thinness. So what's the utility of this rumored level of thinness such that a part that can't be made equally thin must protrude from one corner? Need to dice vegetables or something?

IMO, utility (for USERS) would be 5s thinness or a little thinner (flush) filling the additional space with more battery. That's utility. "Thinnest" is a marketing blurb- impressive in the moment and then we all just live with it until the 6s.

Last edited:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Personally, I could live with the camera protrusion, I just don't see the point - I'd prefer a thicker phone. (

Maybe a mount for swappable camera lenses? :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 75

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'll wait til 9 september to see what we get. But I have to say that if this is legitimate I am happy I got an iPhone5s and didn't wait for the 6.

You say that now.;)

Anyway, based on what we're seeing here, it looks like what's inside the iPhone 6 will matter more than the appearance of it which makes sense given the ubiquitous, similar nature of smartphones these days. What you do with your smartphone matters much more than trying to show off, something that seems important to some people here.

----------

Maybe a mount for swappable camera lenses? :)

Is that from Apple?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple also has the the worst security now. Remember when it was hard to even know if a new mac was coming out?

no, you misunderstand. the reason why there werent as much leaks then is simple -- there werent as many customers, nor, devices, nor interest behind them, nor nearly as much press & ad revenue for news/rumors/leaks coverage. now apple is mainstream, and the iphone is the most mainstream. it is also the best selling handset in history, and shatters sales records every opening weekend. this requires more manufacturing...and you simply cannot hide them all with numbers this big.

thats why you didnt have leaks in the old days, but do now.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
From how I have been slowly accepting the assumption that this ugly mold is actually what official iPhone 6 looks like as a fact, I actually see the mighty of human's ability to adapt. For the matter, thank you, Apple, although I still think iPhone 6 is ugly, but I can accept ugly things in exchange for keeping the old convenience and comfort I have been enjoying for 6 years.

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Lots of people.

Look around sometime at everyone flicking through messages on an iPhone while it's laid flat on a table, especially at restaurants or when they're at a desk studying.

Flicking messages, typing responses, none of that will be an issue with the camera. I have an iPod touch with the protruding camera, there is no issue with that.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Surely Jon Ives is bright enough to copy the previous back designs of the 4 and 5. I don't think that the antenna separators will be shown in the back like the HTC Ones do now. It will be colored the color of the choices: grey is black; champagne is champagne; white is white.

It is does turn out that this is the production look; I will skip the iPhone 6 and buy something else because it looks completely primitive and fugly!

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
No it doesn't wobble at all, except for a barely discernible amount if pressed at the top left. I've got one, and if you employ a little common sense analysis to the physical properties of the device and the principles of leverage and pivot points, you'd soon draw that conclusion too. You see, if you take into consideration the fact that the lens protrusion is right up on the top corner of the device, and is the pivot point as it's sticking out proud of the body, you'll then see that for the iPod to "wobble" would require a mass equal to the rest of the body which is BELOW the protruding ring, in order to effect an equilibrium (or near) in mass across the pivot point, ergo a seesaw effect which would cause the wobble you speak of.

Since the mass of the entire area below the camera (ie: 95% of the mass) is working against, and a lot heavier than the miniscule amount ABOVE the camera, this "wobbling" is imaginary, and would require considerable concerted downward pressure - in precisely the right place - to be observed.

There is only a TINY rocking of the device when you apply pressure to the top-left of the iPod, and that's only a degree or so, and doesn't affect usage of the device nor does it impair the experience. If you have any sense, you'd buy a TPU case which would eliminate this altogether, by countersinking the lens - in effect.

You contradict yourself in the first sentence. It's not a big deal IMO but having it flush would be nice.

As I said 99% of the time it's in a hand, and I don't see how you flick through messages without itching around at all.

Not sure how clumsy you'd have to be not to be able to easily navigate the phone while it's on a surface...try it. I'm not responsible if it flies off your desk and knocks someone out though. :eek:

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
You contradict yourself in the first sentence. It's not a big deal IMO but having it flush would be nice.

Not sure how clumsy you'd have to be not to be able to easily navigate the phone while it's on a surface...try it. I'm not responsible if it flies off your desk and knocks someone out though. :eek:

I'd just woken up, and wanted to "say my bit" - be leniant please :p hehe

Well, I've accidentally slam-dunked an iPod touch face down on the floorboards TWICE, by snagging my finger in the loop and flicking it... when my hand was passing its way... OOPS. Thankfully a nice Belkin TPU case stands proud of the bezel, and saved it from cracking. :D

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Yes, but people like Cortona and many more will soon be spinning how a phone that rocks a bit on a flat service has some huge benefit.

----------

In this specific context, what is the utility of an even thinner iPhone 6?

Spin like "why make a thicker phone" and similar don't apply- no one is suggesting thicker. The suggestion is that Apple could have left "thin" at the 5s level (I'm still to see or hear ONE public gripe about the 5s being too thick) or thin the 6 to yield a flush camera lens thinness. So what's the utility of this rumored level of thinness such that a part that can't be made equally thin must protrude from one corner? Need to dice vegetables or something?

IMO, utility (for USERS) would be 5s thinness or a little thinner (flush) filling the additional space with more battery. That's utility. "Thinnest" is a marketing blurb- impressive in the moment and then we all just live with it until the 6s.

When combined with a case, I think the 5s is still quite thick. Not that making it thinner would necessarily be worth the tradeoff, but certainly thinner would be more pleasing, especially on a larger phone. I most definitely do not want a 5.5" with the same thickness as a 5s, it probably wouldn't fit in my pocket.

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
Tragic

For me, the tragedy is that the people who have taken the time to design and release their personal concept images, and we've seen some nice ones, do a far better job than Apple's in-house designers. I think this attached image is a far better representation of the Apple brand we have come to respect.

Attachments

• iPhone6_Concept.jpg
    iPhone6_Concept.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 102

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Design is dead!

24crybm.jpg

This is the end! The new iPhones will be the ugliest phones ever made. Please, someone tell me that all these leaks have been a huge viscous fake.

My trust in Apple's well-extrapolated Braun design (by Dieter Rams) is shaken to the core! :mad:

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
no, you misunderstand. the reason why there werent as much leaks then is simple -- there werent as many customers, nor, devices, nor interest behind them, nor nearly as much press & ad revenue for news/rumors/leaks coverage. now apple is mainstream, and the iphone is the most mainstream. it is also the best selling handset in history, and shatters sales records every opening weekend. this requires more manufacturing...and you simply cannot hide them all with numbers this big.

thats why you didnt have leaks in the old days, but do now.

Yep. Anyone who complains about leaks and then visits Macrumors is confused. We're the entire reason leaks exist. We literally give a massive financial incentive for people to leak Apple secrets. Don't like Apple leaks? Then stop visiting this site. We create the demand for them.

----------

For me, the tragedy is that the people who have taken the time to design and release their personal concept images, and we've seen some nice ones, do a far better job than Apple's in-house designers. I think this attached image is a far better representation of the Apple brand we have come to respect.

Not to be a Debby Downer, but I don't see an antenna on that concept design. That's the problem with concepts... they're not constrained by reality.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
why not just make the phone the same thickness as the lens? makes much more sense to me at this time anyway. when camera tech evolves then make it that much smaller...

Yep, also would be extra space for battery. I feel until a thiner camera module is possible, we've hit the limit to phone thickness, and every year we get thinner phones, so here we are with a protruding lens.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014

This is the end! The new iPhones will be the ugliest phones ever made. Please, someone tell me that all these leaks have been a huge viscous fake.

My trust in Apple's well-extrapolated Braun design (by Dieter Rams) is shaken to the core! :mad:

Viscous? CousCous? ... Viscose?

syrup1.jpg

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

What's tragic is that a lot of people don't understand a thing about industrial design and think that anything they can create in a 3D program can become a real functional object that doesn't break when you sit on it.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Sonny Dickson is an Aussie who pays people to leak parts to sell to the likes of macrumors, and then spends that on flashy watches. I wouldn't trust the guy to not leak a known photoshopped picture or wildly false test item to make some cash.

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
What's tragic is that a lot of people don't understand a thing about industrial design and think that anything they can create in a 3D program can become a real functional object that doesn't break when you sit on it.
I wouldn't sit on it, like I wouldn't sit on my MBPr as it would probably break it.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Yep, also would be extra space for battery. I feel until a thiner camera module is possible, we've hit the limit to phone thickness, and every year we get thinner phones, so here we are with a protruding lens.
It's too late now. These phones are already being manufactured, and they're not going to re-design them before September 9.

Maybe when the iPhone 7 comes out in two years, you'll get your wish, and the phone will not be thinner than the iPhone 6 (which by then will be the gold standard of perfect thinness).

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I wouldn't sit on it, like I wouldn't sit on my MBPr as it would probably break it.

It was just an example. My point is that it's easy to make a 3D object in a program, much less to design something that in real life will be durable, easy to mass-produce, practical, thin, lightweight etc.

The iPhone 6 looks to be very durable, yet very thin. I don't think there are an infinite number of ways to make a 6.1mm thin phone that is durable and have good cell/wifi/bt reception without having those fragile glass inlays on the back.

Edit: BTW I put my 4S in my back pocket (yeah I'm one of these) and sit on it without any problem, it's almost 3 years old now. But it's kind of heavy (and would be worse at 4.7"), and the back could break if I drop it the wrong way. I don't mind the glass back myself, but it's now used as the symbol of Apple's supposed planned obsolescence by people who don't know much about radio reception. I can see how Apple would want to get away from those glass parts.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.