Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
I can adjust the pen and ink flow in freeform, notes etc... but in Messages.app the ink is so runny (like a sharpie on napkin) I can't control my writing. Is there a 'global' Settings for the pencil?

if I adjust the pen/ink setting in NOtes will that stay as default across all other apps?

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
I see now each ".app" holds "its own" preference settings... so no "global/default setting. (I'd be curious to know if this can be set/customized from within terminal?)

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
this seems strange - I really do not see any differences when scribbling with the AP2 in Apple’s Messages compared to Apple’s Notes or here in the comment field. What iPad model? Which version of MacOS? can you screen capture and provide a short video of what is happening?

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
2022 Mac Studio macOS 13.4.1
2022 iPadPro 12.9

maybe my description is too convoluted. Im not an artist, so this is not a graphics/design issue... its a UI question for a noob ;)

Maybe I should ask this way.. How do I change/select the pencil settings for Messages?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
If you open the Pencil setting on the iPP and choose »Try Scribble« under the activated Scribble setting (»only draw with Pencil« activate too) - is the behaviour of your AP2 there different to when you use it in Messages on the same iPP (for a quick check put Settings and Messages side by side in SplitView)? There is none on any iPad model running iPadOS 16.5.1 or the 17betas I tried.

AFAIK there is no more granular settings option for Scribble in general or in Messages.

Some additional thought: did you check with a different tip/ another Pencil?

nota bene: because you mentioned your Mac - or is this something which happens when you use the iPP in Sidecar?

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Thanks I'll check.
Ive tried several replacement nibs/tips -just for 'feel' but they all react/draw the same.
this happens everywhere. (may not bother most ppl, but seems strange they don't offer granular or custom adjustments *shrug*)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.