Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
I'm running Panther on a G5 with multiple user accounts. When my wife opens a PDF document from the web it automatically gets saved to her desktop. Her desktop is getting just a tad crowded. I've tried searching "help" in acrobat reader (latest version) but for the life of me can't find anything that would automatically save to her desktop. BTW, when she does click on a PDF doc the screen that comes up defaults to "open" with and not "save". We are using Mozilla as our browser if that makes any difference. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
You probably don't have Adobe Reader installed. Mac OS X comes with an application called Preview which opens up PDF files. It is the default viewer for PDF files, even if you do have Reader installed. It also saves it to the desktop by default, like you explained.

If you do have Adobe Reader installed, check out the info on one of the PDF files. It should say Open With...and then have a drop-down menu and say Preview. You can change this to say Adobe Reader, and then click the box that says change for all documents like this.

Note: This may not change whether it is saved on the desktop, because I don't think Safari or Mozilla has native-PDF support built into their browsers.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Are you sure it is just PDF's? I think the location downloaded documents (of all types) are saved is a function of the web browser, not the application that opens each document. I know that Safari defaults its downloads to the desktop, so maybe Mozilla does the same. Check the preferences to set where you want downloaded documents to save.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.