Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hey, how are you guys doing?

(I didn't know which subforum is appopriate for this question but since I got an iMac I figured it can go here.)

I updated my Adobe Creative Cloud apps a while ago to CC 2018. So far so good.

During the updating process it said that it will uninstall CC 2017 versions of all apps.

Unfortunately the 2017 versions are still there after the udpate. Each app takes up about 2.5 GB of space and I'd like to get rid of them. I'm on an iMac with the latest High Sierra update.

I can't open the 2017 apps but if I try I get:

"Configuration error
Please uninstall and reinstall the product.

If this problem still occurs, please contact Adobe technical support for help, and mention the error code shown at the bottom of this screen.
Error: 1
http://www.adobe.com/support/
"​

CC 2018 apps work fine.

When I try to open the Uninstall file for the chosen 2017 app I get:

"The alias “Uninstall Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."​

I contacted Adobe Support and they told me to use the AdobeCreativeCloudCleanerTool to remove all versions off the apps and the install them again. I tried that but it only removed the CC 2018 versions and the CC 2017 versions are still there.

Can I just drag and drop them from the Applications folder in the trash can or will the CC 2017 still be installed?
How can I uninstall them?

Thanks in advance!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Can I just drag and drop them from the Applications folder in the trash can or will the CC 2017 still be installed?

That depends how much the uninstaller left behind. Clearly the uninstall process did remove something, i.e. the actual install tool. Dragging the applications to the trash can will definitely remove parts of them, so it's a good first start. After that you could check your ~/Library/Application\ Support/ folder for anything relating to Adobe and CC2017. It's most likely where a majority of the extra files are.

Reactions: Samurai Shampoo

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
That depends how much the uninstaller left behind. Clearly the uninstall process did remove something, i.e. the actual install tool. Dragging the applications to the trash can will definitely remove parts of them, so it's a good first start. After that you could check your ~/Library/Application\ Support/ folder for anything relating to Adobe and CC2017. It's most likely where a majority of the extra files are.
Thanks for the reply!

From my quick search I couldn’t find any CC 2017 app files in the library.
I noticed that the CreativeCloud Cleaner Tool did remove Photoshop 2017 when I chose to uninstall Photoshop 2018.

However this wasnt the case for any other apps. I chose the „clean“ option in the tools menu for After Effects and it got rid of 2017 and 2018 within 2 seconds which makes me think this isnt the proper way because the regular uninstall process takes a lot longer.

I found a very inconvenient way to uninstall the 2017 versions: I uninstalled the 2018 version of Media Encoder. Reinstalled the 2017 version which brought back the option to uninstall it directly in the CC or Applications folder. After that I had a folder left containing the MEdiaEncoder icon and thats it.

But theres got to be a better way than reinstalling all the old atuff just to uninstall it properly. Adobe support was unhelpful. Just kept telling me to try the cleaner tool when it didnt work at all for my problem.

Anyone found a solution or got thhe same problem?

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Go to Finder>Applications>Utilities>Adobe Installers. You should find Adobe Uninstallers there.
Thanks. Unfortunately there are no Uninstaller files for the 2017 apps. Only for the 2018 versions.

I used the cleaner tool "clean" function only for After Effects and did a regular uninstall of all other 2018 apps but somehow the only uninstall file that still is there is After Effects. This Cleaner Tool is really not that good.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks. Unfortunately there are no Uninstaller files for the 2017 apps. Only for the 2018 versions.

I used the cleaner tool "clean" function only for After Effects and did a regular uninstall of all other 2018 apps but somehow the only uninstall file that still is there is After Effects. This Cleaner Tool is really not that good.
Use the Creative Cloud app to reinstall the 2017 apps. (You can leave 2018 in place.) Then, use the Creative Cloud app to uninstall the 2017 apps again, and it should get rid of them this time.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
There is no need to uninstall Adobe CS6 when you get the configuration error 16. Replacing the folders SLStore and Adobe PCD from the Adobe folder in Library/Application Support from a previous Time Machine backup and restarting solved the problem for me. I suppose it will be also the case with CC 2017/2018. The bug is introduced in Sierra, I have never experienced it in Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.