Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Has anyone here tried using Adobe Creative Cloud or CS2 apps on one of the new clover field Atom-based Windows 8 tablets? I'm leaning towards buying a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 rather than a Surface Pro, but I'd like to know if it's possible to draw smoothly in Photoshop or Flash with an atom based system.

If there are any other artists actually using an atom-based pen tablet (like the Samsung ASUS or Lenovo) could you let e know which programs you're working with to draw?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've read that the atom based tablets are rather poor in performance. I'd say its not worth it imo. The i5 based tablets may be a better option for some of the more demanding software

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've only used PhotoShop elements and that ran very smoothly. I've seen posts where others have used PhotoShop full and noted it ran well, but I have no idea what size pictures, layers, etc. There is an issue with the Wacom pressure sensitive drivers and I believe the only program that has pressure sensitivity is sketchbook pro and maybe art rage, but not PS, this affects the Atom tablets and the surface pro, I believe the only one which works is the Samsung ones.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I've read that the atom based tablets are rather poor in performance. I'd say its not worth it imo. The i5 based tablets may be a better option for some of the more demanding software

Yes, but I'm not trying to see if it's better, I'm trying to see if it's adequate. ;)

In terms of specs and benchmarks, these new Atom Tablets are very similar to my 1st generation intel iMac: 1.8Ghz dual core intel processor, 2Gb RAM. If it performs on par with that, I'd be perfectly satisfied. With the differences in optimization for media and graphics subsystems though, it's impossible to directly compare the two.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I've only used PhotoShop elements and that ran very smoothly. I've seen posts where others have used PhotoShop full and noted it ran well, but I have no idea what size pictures, layers, etc.

Ideally I'd like to be able to draw smoothly in Adobe Flash (or Toon Boom), Photoshop, and a sketching program like PaintTool SAI or Alias Sketchbook. If I can be in a 1920x1080 file with 8 layers, and still draw smoothly, I'll be thrilled.

There is an issue with the Wacom pressure sensitive drivers and I believe the only program that has pressure sensitivity is sketchbook pro and maybe art rage, but not PS, this affects the Atom tablets and the surface pro, I believe the only one which works is the Samsung ones.

Damn. Samsung isn't an option. Not only because of the keyboard connection issues, but they also don't sell the s-pen version in Canada, despite charging a premium for it compared to the US.

kitsunestudios

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Well, took the plunge. Despite saying it wasn't an option, there was a sale on the Samsung AITV Smart PC 700T, with the keyboard and s-pen.

Yep, flaky keyboard.

Took the better part of the day, a reset, and a fair bit of troubleshooting to get it working, but it works now. I miss Apple already, but holy crap is this nice to draw on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.