Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
I'm still using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS6, but I know it's just a matter of time that CS6 won't run when I update my OS. I hate the idea of paying monthly for Photoshop and Illustrator. I do have the Affinity equivalent of Photoshop and Illustrator, but haven't learned or used it. Right now, while I have it, it's easier for me just to use Adobe.

For those who have used Adobe and Affinity, is Affinity really as close to Photoshop/Illustrator as I've read? Do you have a preference? Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Because there differences, what are you using photoshop and illustrator for? If possible, describe your work flow(s) in detail. 🤓

Reactions: gldngal

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
They're pretty close at first glance. Using Affinity's apps won't be difficult for you beyond learning what the different tools are called, where they are, and what palettes are available, etc. But the deeper you dive into the apps, the less capable they are compared to the Adobe apps. This is perfectly understandable considering the maturity of Adobe's apps and the development behind them, but worth noting.

For most users, they're a perfectly acceptable replacement for Photoshop and Illustrator for individual users or small in-house design shops that handle everything internally. If you work with others who use PS and AI, or you're a power user, the waters are greatly muddied.

The level at which I use Photoshop, Affinity can't even compete - it's just not even worth launching the app. For instance, Affinity Photo doesn't support Photoshop's Smart Objects... that's a deal breaker right off the bat for me. There are dozens upon dozens of other features Affnity Photo doesn't have that I use daily.

Illustrator is another ball game though. My use of Illustrator is mostly simple logo design and fairly simple illustration editing, so I could very easily use Affinity Designer as a replacement.

What I tell people who ask the same question as you is this: If you don't work with other people's files and you don't need to send your editable files to other people, then Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher are fantastic. But if you expect to share your files and use other people's files, then don't waste your money on the Affinity apps because it won't be long before you're hitting roadblocks.

As far as Affinity Publisher as an Adobe InDesign replacement... don't make me laugh. It's barely more useful than Apple Pages in that regard, and a lot more convoluted. But it doesn't sound like you need or use InDesign anyway.

Reactions: gldngal

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Because there differences, what are you using photoshop and illustrator for? If possible, describe your work flow(s) in detail. 🤓
I really use both for basic functions. I use photoshop for modifying and improving images/photos. I use illustrator for creating text and simple graphics. I have a small web design business and use Photoshop and Illustrator to create headers and graphics for my clients' websites.

gldngal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
They're pretty close at first glance. Using Affinity's apps won't be difficult for you beyond learning what the different tools are called, where they are, and what palettes are available, etc. But the deeper you dive into the apps, the less capable they are compared to the Adobe apps. This is perfectly understandable considering the maturity of Adobe's apps and the development behind them, but worth noting.

For most users, they're a perfectly acceptable replacement for Photoshop and Illustrator for individual users or small in-house design shops that handle everything internally. If you work with others who use PS and AI, or you're a power user, the waters are greatly muddied.

The level at which I use Photoshop, Affinity can't even compete - it's just not even worth launching the app. For instance, Affinity Photo doesn't support Photoshop's Smart Objects... that's a deal breaker right off the bat for me. There are dozens upon dozens of other features Affnity Photo doesn't have that I use daily.

Illustrator is another ball game though. My use of Illustrator is mostly simple logo design and fairly simple illustration editing, so I could very easily use Affinity Designer as a replacement.

What I tell people who ask the same question as you is this: If you don't work with other people's files and you don't need to send your editable files to other people, then Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher are fantastic. But if you expect to share your files and use other people's files, then don't waste your money on the Affinity apps because it won't be long before you're hitting roadblocks.

As far as Affinity Publisher as an Adobe InDesign replacement... don't make me laugh. It's barely more useful than Apple Pages in that regard, and a lot more convoluted. But it doesn't sound like you need or use InDesign anyway.
Thank you. This helps. I work independently, so there is not any sharing. I also don't use InDesign. It sounds like I'll be ok using Affinity. Thanks again!

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009

I fall into the group of 'power' users, I suppose.

@gldngal your assertion that Affinity Photo doesn't support Smart Objects is only partly true: just like Photoshop, Affinity Photo supports embedding native files into so-called "embedded" layers, and for all intents and purposes these behave almost identically to Smart Objects in Photoshop:

• placed as non-destructive items that can be transformed
  • double-clicking opens the embedded content in a new document. Edit, save, and the embedded layer is updated in the master document
  • filters and effects can be non-destructively applied to embedded layers
  • content can either be embedded or linked
The main differences are:
  • CON: existing layers, layer groups, and embedded layers cannot be directly converted to embedded layers in Affinity. This is inconvenient, although cutting the layers, and pasting into a new saved document that is then embedded is relatively fast. But not nearly so convenient as SOs.
  • PRO: not only Affinity Photo and Designer files, but also Publisher files can be embedded in Affinity. This is a huge advantage! That is not possible in Photoshop, and requires a conversion to PDF (for example). These Publisher files remain completely editable. One of the advantages of the shared file format across all three Affinity apps.
  • PRO: native Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, and SVG, EPS or PDF files may be embedded aside from its own native file format. And Freehand is supported ;-)
  • PRO: when Designer or Publisher documents with multiple artboards or pages are embedded, the user simply uses a dropdown menu in the properties bar to decide which artboard or which page is displayed.
    This is super handy, and not possible in Photoshop.
  • PRO: Even though Photoshop supposedly supports placing Illustrator files, those files must have a PDF stream embedded in order to import properly in Photoshop. No such issues with its own native files in Affinity.
  • CON: Smart Objects in Photoshop have more options in regard to workflow. It is possible to convert a SO to layers, for example. In Affinity the user would have to copy and paste these from an embedded file into the master document, and adjust scale, etc. Not very convenient, of course.
  • PRO: Photoshop's Smart Object workflow collapses when dealing with embedded Illustrator files. For example, converting an Illustrator SO to layers is simply not possible, even if those options are displayed.
    At least Affinity allows for easy switching of page/artboard in an embedded layer.

Finally, when Photoshop PSD files with embedded Smart Objects are imported into Affinity those are converted to Embedded Layers. So it is not entirely true that Affinity doesn't support Smart Objects. It does, as long as those SOs are embedded content (linked content is not supported).

All in all: Affinity's Embedded Layers are quite close in terms of functionality compared to Smart Objects in Photoshop.

And I would add that Affinity's overall workflow relies less on Embedded Layers (or a "Smart Object") workflow due to its arguably more modern approach.

Last edited:

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I myself prefer to work in PhotoLine rather than Photoshop or Affinity Photo. For digital painting I prefer either Krita or ClipStudio Paint, and either one does a better job compared to Photoshop/Affinity Photo/PhotoLine.

Now as for Photoshop... PHOTOSHOP BASHING TIME!

• why oh why is Photoshop's so-called 16bit mode actually limited to a 15bit one? Why will it silenty remove half the information from full-range 16bit imagery when imported? In this day and age: unforgivable.
  • why does it insist on converting EVERYTHING to Smart Objects if we want to work non-destructively? Ridiculous.
  • why are many filters unavailable when working in 32bit mode? For that matter, why are several filters still greyed out when working in 16bit mode?
  • why is it only possible to work with curves in one single image mode? Why can't we work in LAB, HSV, etc. mode when an image is RGB? And why in the Gods' names is that tiny TINY curve window not scalable?
  • why can only one layer mask and one vector mask be attached to a layer or layer group? Why is it not possible to assign as many as we want, and stack those with blend modes, groups, etc.? WHY?
  • why are clipping layers so awkward in use? Why not just have layer mask layers instead and solve the ridiculous 1 layer mask per layer limit?
  • why can't adjustment layers have adjustment layers?
  • why can filter layers not be non-destructively assigned to adjustment layers?
  • why is it impossible to clone or instance layers, groups, layer masks, etc., without the need for smart objects? Why not have real-time editable layers that can be cloned and those clones reused in as masks for anything? Have the stack update in real-time while working on the source content layer(s) for the clones? Apply adjustment and filter layers non-destructively to those clones, and reuse those as layer masks anywhere? WHY NOT?!!
  • why must every layer be the same image mode, bit depth, and the same size? And share the same colour profile? Why again the cumbersome need for Smart Objects that stunt the workflow?
  • why is it not possible to non-destructively transform layers and still be able to work directly with those pixels? Why again the need for awkward Smart Objects?
  • why is the lighting filter no longer part of Photoshop?
  • why is it impossible to use layers in 1bit mode?
  • why is it impossible to use layers in indexed mode?
  • why is it impossible to use transparency in either 1bit or indexed mode?
  • why is the custom bevel effect still half-broken? (Chisel hard looks terrible, while chisel soft looks too blurred)
  • why is it not possible to adjust the layer opacity slider to a negative value? Why not from -200 up to +200? Adjust a filter or adjustment layer this way as well? Why the arbitrary 0-100 range?
  • why is it impossible to apply non-destructive adjustment and filter layers to layer masks?
  • why are selections 8bit only, even when working in 16 or 32bit?
  • why is Photoshop still so reliant on creating manual channel selections using the channel panel? Why can't we decide for each layer which channel to display and work with? For that matter, why no option to select the channels directly in filters (where applicable)?
  • why does Photoshop insist on two separate colour selection systems: one for bitmap, one for vector? Select a vector object with the layer tool: change colour. Simple enough, right? Nooooo....
  • why does exporting an indexed PNG with full transparency get converted to one with 1 bit transparency since two or three versions? Makes no sense!
  • why is the web export functionality so backward and limited?
  • why is batch processing in Photoshop slow as a snail crawling through mud?
I could go on.

All of the above (excepting indexed mode, which is unavailable in PhotoLine) I can do in PhotoLine.

Photoshop's core workflow and tech is pretty limited compared.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
You should be able to figure things out pretty quickly, as you know what you want to do and it will just be a matter of working the Affinity way. Only you can really say if it will be an adequate replacement.

Do you work collaboratively with anyone else? If so using the same software is obviously a no brained.

Seeing as you have Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo already why not just give it a months trial. Do your work exclusively, figure out the work arounds to do the things you need to do. After a month of forcing yourself to learn and work with the software you will know it sticking with Affinity or jumping back to Adobe is the best move for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.