Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Anyone know for sure if Adobe CS3 (mainly Photoshop) will run under Rosetta2? In my experience Rosetta2 is pretty solid but nothing is 100%.

It's time to hand down my M1 iMac to my father-in-law, and CS3 is the main 3rd party software that would conceivably present a compatibility issue (well that and the Epson V700 scanner software, but that's a separate matter).

StuAff

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2007
Portsmouth, UK
Won't work. No way, AFAIK, of making it work. 32-bit (& Carbon) so would need to be run on Mojave or earlier. A native Mojave installation is apparently possible with workarounds, a quick search on Google suggests. You might be able to use run a suitable OS in a VM, but don't count on it.

There are compatible drivers for the scanner on Epson's support site (I have a V500 Photo and it works on Ventura and Sonoma).

Reactions: neilw

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone know for sure if Adobe CS3 (mainly Photoshop) will run under Rosetta2? In my experience Rosetta2 is pretty solid but nothing is 100%.

It's time to hand down my M1 iMac to my father-in-law, and CS3 is the main 3rd party software that would conceivably present a compatibility issue (well that and the Epson V700 scanner software, but that's a separate matter).
As the post above mine mentions, there's no way to run Adobe CS3 on Apple Silicon. It also can't be activated for new installations on any platform anymore, so it's really dead at this point. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html
The Epson software is not a problem for Sonoma.

StuAff

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2007
Portsmouth, UK
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the activation problem. They switched the servers off and removed activation-free install options. So keen on selling software as a service that they stop people using software they bought.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Hmm, OK thanks for the quick responses. I was afraid of something like that but hoping for the best.

I'll see if Pixelmator Pro can open his files. I would be that Affinity Photo could, but since I use Pixelmator it would be easier to support him with that.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Depending on what exactly he needs Photoshop for he could use Photoshop Elements, either in a pinch to access/export his files to a more universal format or for daily use if he likes it. There's a free trial available and it's a one-time purchase, not a subscription.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Depending on what exactly he needs Photoshop for he could use Photoshop Elements, either in a pinch to access/export his files to a more universal format or for daily use if he likes it. There's a free trial available and it's a one-time purchase, not a subscription.
That's a great idea, I totally forgot about Elements. It's only a bit more expensive than Pixelmator Pro and probably would have more familiar user interface (even if still pretty different).

👍👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.