Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
This shocking news/rumor/speculation was breifly posted to, and quickly pulled from MacCentral:

Adobe will no longer be supporting Photoshop for OSX, beginning with Photoshop 8

This may be wildly out there, but this is such a critical possiblity that I had to mention it!!!!!!

Here's a transcript of another forum I read:

Microsoft buys Adobe - Mac OS will not be supported in Photoshop 8
> MAC NEWS > Photoshop 8

moncul

Photoshop 8
What's this about PhotoShop 8 not being ported to OSX? Anyone really know, or is it just gossip?

ihcra
Monrovia

announcement made by adobe ceo - big fight between apple and adobe

CPU
CoffeePotUnit
RightHereRightNow

still has to be confirmed, but its cruel isnt it?

Meska
smoking toast crumbz
« london styla »

surely they meant Mac OS as in 9

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

nope - 'apparently' it has something to do with more Apple software in the pipeline - first there was final cut pro/express and imovie stepping on adobe premier's toes

apple branded photoshop perhaps?

InPeace
great deals on used camels
London

No, Adobe have committed to continuing support for OS 9. It seems they are concerned about keeping up with continued changes to OS X.

All the more worrying, because their first release of Photoshop 8 is scheduled for Windows XP.

InPeace
London

Anyone notice the news story about this on MacCentral has been pulled? And I'm sure they edited it first. Wish I'd kept a copy.

g c
a rebel without a clue
In your head

quote:Originally posted by InPeace
No, Adobe have committed to continuing support for OS 9. It seems they are concerned about keeping up with continued changes to OS X.

All the more worrying, because their first release of Photoshop 8 is scheduled for Windows XP.

yes. I can confirm this. I heard it from another source aswell. The same source also told me that something similar "could" be happening with QuarkXpress 6

CPU
CoffeePotUnit
RightHereRightNow

i found the maccentral newspage in my cache, but the article was already
gone when i checked this just cannot be true

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

yes the quark dumping macs has been floating around the industry for a while

in many ways i think apple have been suspecting this - which mean they need now more than ever not to piss adobe off

imagine the mac without adobe or quark

RIP MacOS

Gee Four
Club Soda
Good Ol' England

RIP MacOS indeed, No amount of ****ty, half baked wank iApp will make up for the loss of Adobe or Quark. Apple really are idiots. For fuks sake!

gone
lying git
moncul

I've Googled and I don't know what and can find no trace of this 'story'. Urban myth in the making?

RaiDeR
g0's Love Slave
New Jersey

Microsoft buys Adobe???
I just saw this in the little news bar uptop or whatever it is? So is it true that Microsoft bought Adobe and now PS 8 wont be for the Mac OS? When did this all happen, fill me in here

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

wow - ive never seen apple so quick to stamp a rumor like this out before

they must be REALLY worried - stock protection tactics i suspect

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

well the ps8 not for macs seems to be a stronger of the rumours - m$ buyout of adobe seems to be a causal rumour

i.e. ps8 rumour true then people speculating reasons why generates the microsoft rumour

all lends greater credence to the photoshop rumour

so regardless of the truth of the microsoft rumour it seems the parting company of adobe and apple is likely

g c
a rebel without a clue
In your head

Apple is going "Audio / Video Editing Only". hint, hint: iDVD, iMovie, Final Cut Pro / Express... and Apple bought Emagic.

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

true - no room for adobe premier then

so if sun microsystems do go down - apple wont buy them but just sidestep intotheir niche?

sam.freak
The Procrastinator
Under your table, doing dirty things to your wife and daughter...

Hmmm, Apparently Adobe makes a third of their Revenue with MacOS Products... Can they really afford to lose that?

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

well if m$ buys them - maybe they can

think about it

if microsoft wanted to get rid of apple - its probably easier to strangle it to death than buy apple stock or compete like for like in software technology

mac dies

m$ picks up the pieces

adobe gets all that lost user base back again

[edit]if there were any company in the world with cash reserves big enough to swallow the temporary losses which company might that be ........[/edit]

HarkJohnny
crisp hoppy India Pale Ale
drunken stupor

If that happens I'm going to vomit. really i will. I'll change careers if I can't work do my work on my Mac.

CPU
CoffeePotUnit
RightHereRightNow

the story goes on, the apple-adobe connection
seems to be in real trouble

from macnn:

Adobe Acrobat has problems with OS X
Wednesday, January 22, 2003 @ 4:10pm

"An Adobe promotion encouraging engineering houses to move to Adobe Acrobat as part of their workflow in drawing production has brought about some problems with the Acrobat software not running in Mac OS X.

It sounded like a good idea to us, so we tried it. Unfortunately, the majority of the Acrobat software doesn't run under OS X although it is marketed as being built for OS X. Adobe's tech support group was very honest in admitting that the program had major bugs. Tech support's comments were that they thought that everyone should be entitled to a free upgrade once the product worked as advertised.

However, when I contacted the customer service department, even when I gave them the support case numbers that backed my claims, they would not stand behind their product. Essentially, they told me we'd have to buy the product twice (once now and then again we they got the bugs fixed so that it was usable). Consequently, we returned the product and will not be moving to a PDF work flow.

Fortunately, CDW has been great in helping us to resolve this issue. Once they heard Adobe's response, they were great at issuing us an RMA. "

gone
lying git
moncul

I've just had a word with people at MacWorld and MacUser and their reply was 'crap'. Make of that what you will.

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

hmm

so the adobe/apple conflict has many fronts

maybe not a forthcoming Apple version iPhotoshop but instead themac no longer suiting the adobe vision of a total adobe publication and multimedia office suite?

underscore tick
_flash.enabled = true
... mental state of awareness.

... just as a point of reference, a few months back in the rumor mills, it was suggested that Microsoft was buying out Macromedia. I do not think it's really plausible that M$ is buying either Macromedia or Adobe.

SCARECROW
Home-Brew

Its rubbish I tell ya.. !! :cool:

Nah, I dont believe that crap.. Adobe, like it or not, is still too tied with Apple.

Apple also, would not be that dumb. (Well, actually, maybe they would) but if this was to happen, I would not be surprised to see Apple goe right back at MS's julgular with releasing OS X for x86.

But, all of this will happen when pigs fly, I think.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
Transcript continued:

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

if m$ bought adobe it would be in macromedia's interests to side with apple?

then apple could concentrate on multimedia publishing and presentation on the web and on film

iFlash anyone?

interestingly i dont see any reference to print publishing in apple's digital lifestyle hub

emaphasis on DIGITAL!

think about it - they market the mac as the centre of personal home publishing but whenevr they do the mention iPhoto and iMovie and both in order to post stuff to the web and not to print

is this a long term strategy weve only just got whiff of and what has pissed adobe off so much?

SCARECROW
Home-Brew

Well. ihc, I think you said it yourself..

"apple's digital lifestyle hub"

Digital is the keyword here..

Also, digital is the hot buzz word right now, so that is why Apple is using it so strongly in its advertising.

Print is not something that sells computers..

InPeace
London

Apple has often been very forward-looking - and maybe Photoshop has gone about as far as it can do in what is still a comparatively small niche market. Adobe have not been at he cutting edge for a long time, so maybe Apple is just moving on - I'm sure the vast majority of Apple, and even PC, users don't need or use Adobe's flagship products.

As has been said, it's the accessible, affordable apps of the 'digital hub' where the future lies, and those are relevant to far more people.

Let Apple move on - and stuff Adobe; it'll be just like ditching the floppy disk!

SCARECROW
Home-Brew

LoL... I dont think it would be like ditching the floppy...

If Apple were to lose Adobe.. That would be a major loss. It would be questionable whether Apple could survive something like that.

All of the iApps are just that... inexperienced apps. They do not make Apple what they are. They are a sales gimmick. They are like offering a free toaster with a purchase of a new Buick.

iApps could not sustain Apple. They are but a horse's ovary..

Couple this loss with a loss of Internet Explorer and Office... and Apple has just been relegated to nothing more than another distribution similar to the other *nix out there.

On another note: it appears that MS IS buying Vivendi Games.. otherwise known as Blizzard software.

But, I think Apple and Adobe are just fine. Adobe wants to win the Quark vs InDesign battle.. Their only hope of doing that is with the help of Apple and Quark's own delay of getting an OS X port. Adobe is not going anywhere..

DMCrimson
sudo rm -rf ~ (don't!)

oorgh... Apple has poured a vast amount of money to Adobe's registers by using pdf as basis of Quatz, and now Adobe is going to abandon Apple? hmmm... What really pumped Adobe out? Photoshop. And on what platform it was released the very first time? Mac. PC's came in v3 if I'm not mistaken. But if this comes to pass, there'll be some sorry ppl @ Adobe, when someone else takes over their place.

websnapx2
Orange Juice
Behind you "borrowing" your pantone book

I kept hearing a rumor about Microsoft wanting to by Quark and Macromedia. Quark in particular cause it was vulnerable, and considering the additude of Quark's CEO this seems reasonable. And flash because they have been wanting to create a more consumer/user friendly app to create .swf ( maybe call it FrontFlash XP), and they wanted to incorporate flash animation right into the Win-Blows. If these longer running rumers have any weight, why would adobe even deal with M$?

mds76
Vodka Seven with a Ruphy
standing behind the door with a banana cream pie

Quote:"iApps could not sustain Apple. They are but a horse's ovary.. "

LMAO!!! I swear...I read the most unique things on this board. No idea what that is supposed to mean, but had a good laugh reading it.

I shudder to think about trying to do my work on a pc. It was fine when I was using one to type out my essays in Word, but the idea of using illustrator in a pc leaves me weak knee'd.

J@ffa
Mineral Water
behind you ;)

eek
Someone forwarded me a copy of this PDF - I don't know if it's authentic, but the text sounds *fairly* convincing. I wonder how it was obtained (was emailed to me anonymously).

http://homepage.mac.com/jaffa/.Public/23adbe03.pdf

Mirrored here for your convenience.

ihcra
freebasing since 1999
Monrovia

so did they publish an ameded copy?

SCARECROW
Home-Brew

Whats with the web page in that PDF? If this is an internal memo, why would the Apple website navigation and what not be in the background of it?

Besides, why would warnock be quoted, and not Bruce?

I call BS...

websnapx2
Orange Juice

agreed, SC. Bull plop I say. BULLPLOP!!!

GhettoFreekShow
Coke with Ice and Lemon
In the Rafters, Staring At Your Ass

So is it all rumors thusfar..or does anyone have any actual proof (i dont buy the memo)....I doubt adobe would leave apple as apple is a computer and system marketed to and for creative individuals/business'. And adobe being a big staple of the creative industry (along with macromedia for that matter) would be killing off a lot of their profit. I for one refuse to switch to a pc to do anything, the closest ill come is Virtual pc for certain filesharing/smaller apps that have not been ported to mac as of yet.

websnapx2
Orange Juice

I have been all over the net, and I can't find a thing on this but this forum. If anything happens, it's quark going to M$, but that is a rumor too.

"they call them fingers, but i never see them fing... oh wait, ... there they go..."

Skakig
Club Soda

what a load...
I'm off to sell all my guns so I won't shoot myself tonight.
what has this world come to?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
adobe.jpg

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
interesting... I guess we wait and see what comes of it.

I wouldn't start spreading wild rumors just yet...

arn

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
I see a slight err in the pdf mentioned in the transcript - "behaviour" is spelled wrong (for an Apple News item, that is.)

Also, why put the top links bar at the top of the article text?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
Bear in mind that the transcript is crudely edited (by me) to remove sigs, and other repetetive extraneous data.

I'm not going to publicly comment on which board it was, as it is private, and I don't want Apple legal wandering towards it.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I really don't believe any of this for a second without A LOT more proof than a message board conversation (that has no url)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2002
Like I said, take it however you want to take it...

Read the transcript, read the pdf, look at the screenshot, and decide for yourself.

These are people I communicate with privately, and know fairly well. It is not from a rumor forum. Rumors are not exchanged there, unless they are very serious in their implication (as this one is). That said, there is considerable concern amongst the users that the article may be truth. Note they are suspicious (not authoritative), and no-one is claiming this is a certainty. I just thought you'd wanna hear about it!

Not being a Photoshop jockey, and having never used Quark, the only negative I see for Apple itself. This would be the final death knell in the Apple death knell count.

As such, true or not, it is important to disclose, as I know the article was indeed posted to (and pulled from) MacCentral, and there is no Photoshopping going on.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Here's more detailed info from the PDF. Looks like it was printed from a webpage viewed in Safari. Doesn't Safari put the URL in the header, though?

Attachments

• pdfinfo.png
    pdfinfo.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,517

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
complete rubbish

"urban software tales"

there is no way adobe is dumping apple, mac users are a large part of adobe customer base, and even if apple released an image editor, there is no way it will overtake photoshop, not for many years, meaning that mac users would still be purchasing photoshop... there is always some rumor of microsoft buying adobe or macromedia... a very,very,very slight chance on macromedia, but very unlikely, and i'm calling fat chance on adobe... the gov't would be all over microsoft for further monopoly gesturing.

just my 2 cents,
technocoy:D

don't believe EVERYTHING you read!!!

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I'll side with the rubbish comment above

I can't believe the gov't would allow a MS takeover of Adobe (or even Macromedia). There is still quite a bit of distaste for MS from the public, gov't (especially local) and others. Even if this aquisition got the green light on the Federal level, many states would have it tied up in courts for years, to which MS would scrap the idea.

Somewhere I've read Adobe is pleased with profits as a result of adaptation of the OS X versions of their software.

As an owner of all of Adobe's software, I'd be very upset to see this come true.

With that said, I think the Final Cut Express p*ssing off Adobe comments are probably very true. But, I doubt Adobe would get into a tit for tat battle with Apple. If anything, they would drop Premiere, not Photoshop. At the risk of negative comments, I hope Apple sticks with hardware (which needs some great improvements) and OS based software, and the other key iLife components. Apple going after Photoshop --- in my opinion, would be spreading the talent a little too thin. What next -- Illustrator, etc etc.

As a recent "switcher", I can say that an Apple monopoly (on this side of the computing platform) would turn people off. Many are switching to get away from the MS monopoly.

Only time will tell, but I hope my choices don't decrease.

Tim

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
One of the misnomers up above is Adobe having problems keeping up with the changes to Mac OS X.

Photoshop 7.0.1 runs fine on 10.2.3 of Mac OS. At worst Adobe is doing extra testing cycles to ensure there are no compatability issues.

I will not switch back to Windows. If it comes down to not being able to use Photoshop on a Mac anymore, I will look elsewhere for the software I need. However, I don't think it will come down to this.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Yah, rubbish!

That PDF had a LOT of spelling and grammer errors, no way even that would be first draft. A PR dept in a company like Apple would have spell checked and cleaned things up even in a draft.

Also, Adobe makes about 50% of all their software sales from the Mac side of the farm, which is about 35% of total revenue. They are the second largest software company in the world. Billions people. The rest of their revenue is about 35% Windows, and 30% licensing, like PostScript and PDF technologies.

They get WAY too much money from Mac users to really risk it. If they drop PS for Mac, that simply opens the door for another thrid party, and this time with a real shot and taking over the Mac-based image editing market, something you can't do with PS there. If it did happen, look for Apple and definatley Macromedia to step up with applications to fill the void.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
This won't happen. M$ couldn't get away with it. Apple isn't going to compete with Photoshop unless they buy Macromedia, which aint going to happen either. Imagine the freakout if Flash became a one platfom product.:D

Adobe and Priemere migh be slightly pissed at Final Cut Express, but no more than they were before about Final Cut Pro. Express is just cheaper. Premiere has been classed out of the pro market for years now, Final Cut is aimed at AVID, probably in reponse to slow Quark deveopment.

Thinking that Quark 6 won't be X iws rediculous, as they are alpha on it now. I've seen it, its nice.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Photoshop, even thuogh it has always been for Windows as well, has always been a flagsip application for MacOS. A LOT of people(myself included) would be very upset if Adobe made the decision not to support OSX anymore... I can't imagine it happening... but if it does I might seriously cry lol

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, the pdf is such BS I can't believe anyone is even commenting on it. Did Apple release a press release after all those Sony/Disney/M$ buyouts over the years? Then why now? Those rumors made it to a lot of the sites, this was in a message forum. The writing in the release is so dramatic "that's crazy" and stuff like like, not very prfessional. Also, the editing makes the writer look like a college drop out, not to mention the writing style adn spelling errors. It's BS.

As for the Adobe issue, interesting, why would MacCentral post this? For whatever reason I don't see Adobe bailing on us.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
As for the image of maccentral's site- You're telling me, that an article of Adobe photoshop 8 not being ported to macs was on their site from 7am to at least 10am as shown in the screencap, that's 3 hours this article of possible death to the mac platform and there's no mention of it anywhere by anyone? Please, MacNN checks sites every few minutes, MacCentral has forums, you don't think someone wouldv'e posted there? If then pulled, you don't think those posters vist and other mac sites?

Sorry, that screen cap absolutely shows that link was live for at least 3 hours, yet, not a word about it anywhere?

cough*bull$h!t*cough*cough

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's just too funny!

The Acrobat file was amateurish, as if someone was using AppleWorks and downloading, copying-and-pasting from the internet. Apple would not likely change their style to put the website navigation bar into their documents, especially a poorly rendered version.

If Adobe really did present such a threat, their stock would have dropped dramatically and it has not. I think that Adobe dislike Microsoft as much as Apple, especially considering the new document format recently presented by Microsoft to take away Acrobat's business.

If Adobe were to pull Photoshop, Macromedia would probably pull XRes out of the backups and update it. LivePicture would once again be viable and perhaps, even Corel PhotoPaint (although that's stretching it a bit.)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
To change Premiere for FCP is one thing, to loose Photoshop is something very different.

BTW, what else can you change/add in Photoshop?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
In more than ten years online, I've seen this over and over. It's like a weird online mental condition where some people get off on crafting their own "top secret information leaks." It's almost always forgery, almost always perpetrated by the person who claims to have gotten this bombshell news item from an anonymous informant.

Luckily for us, most people are incompetent. Most people can't spell. Most people can't compose complete sentences. Most people can't create fiction that makes sense. Most people don't have a good enough grasp of the language to properly emulate the style of whatever it is they're trying to forge.

The PDF linked above shows every evidence of being one of those.

When was the last time you saw Apple issue a press release hotly denying something from rumor sites, especially when it's something as old and lame as the "Adobe fallout" rumor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.