Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Those with Adobe Creative Suite installed on their 2019 Mac Pro, can you give me you feedback on application launch times?

I purchased my 7,1 in July 2020 and this problem has plagued me daily every since then. I am wondering if this is just normal on an Intel 12-core with 96Gig Ram and w5700x GPU and applications loaded on NVRAM internal RAID 0?

Photoshop = appx 45-seconds to one-minute to launch (ready to start work)
Illustrator = appx 45-seconds
InDesign = appx one-minute
After Effects = always over one-minute
Dreamweaver = appx 45-seconds

These delays really add up!

On my little 2021 M1 MacBook Pro with the same CS apps installed, everything launches almost instantly.

If you are getting better times on your 7,1, any ideas what may be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
tangental perhaps to what you're asking for, but how often are you launching these apps? I try to run my machine with uptimes in the weeks, so I launch an app once, and then more or less never quit it.

I don't have CS, but Affinity Photo 2 launches and ready from the built in SSD is ~6 seconds.

Have you tried setting your network location to disabling all networks, and seeing if that changes things? Thinking in terms of whether the apps are polling the network for resources, and stalling on waiting.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
tangental perhaps to what you're asking for, but how often are you launching these apps? I try to run my machine with uptimes in the weeks, so I launch an app once, and then more or less never quit it.

I don't have CS, but Affinity Photo 2 launches and ready from the built in SSD is ~6 seconds.

Have you tried setting your network location to disabling all networks, and seeing if that changes things? Thinking in terms of whether the apps are polling the network for resources, and stalling on waiting.
Affinity Photo launches in 4-Seconds. All my non-Adobe apps launch fast. The reason I have to re-launch Adobe apps is because I have had hundreds of Kernal Panics on the 7,1 the past 3 years. Apple even sent me a new Mac Pro after a few months and it does the same thing. Since only my Adobe apps are slow, I assume that is the root cause, but not sure how to remove EVERYTHING Adobe and do a clean install (and I have lots of plugins and extensions as well that would take maybe days to reinstall and reconfigure).

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Those with Adobe Creative Suite installed on their 2019 Mac Pro, can you give me you feedback on application launch times?

I purchased my 7,1 in July 2020 and this problem has plagued me daily every since then. I am wondering if this is just normal on an Intel 12-core with 96Gig Ram

What are the settings for the Adobe apps to aggressively grab RAM. [ Can use Activity Monitor to watch if launch causes a huge 'RAM hog' event. ]

and w5700x GPU and applications loaded on NVRAM internal RAID 0?

No apps should be on RAID 0. IF talking about the internal Apple SSD , then there is only ONE SSD present , there is no way it can be RAID 0 ( need more than one device to be RAID 0). The single Apple SSD has two subcomponents, but those are not themselves SSD, nor RAID 0 in any classic sense.

It isn't really 'NVRAM' either in the normal sense of that word usage either.

For the Apple SSD and if you have a back-up of the SSD . A decent sanity-check is to boot into recovery mode and run Disk First Aid on the boot/os/app drive. [ Given other apps work OK. the SSD is working but if the Adobe folder's metadata is screwed up, it might act quirky. Not the most likely root cause problem though. ]

Photoshop = appx 45-seconds to one-minute to launch (ready to start work)
Illustrator = appx 45-seconds
InDesign = appx one-minute
After Effects = always over one-minute
Dreamweaver = appx 45-seconds

These delays really add up!

On my little 2021 M1 MacBook Pro with the same CS apps installed, everything launches almost instantly.

If you are getting better times on your 7,1, any ideas what may be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!

1. Which versions of Adobe Creative Suite and which version of MacOS ?

2. See "Indentifying Problematic Plug-ins" here

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

Try running 'cleaner' Adobe apps (adobe only). If the problem goes away ... it is likely based in the pile of plug-ins. If just plain CS has problems then some shared Adobe library is a more likely culprit. [ Same adobe apps have a 'safe mode' which similarly reduces complexity of the running app. When the Adobe extension loader thinks there is a problem it make invoke 'safe mode' , but that tends to be a large mismatches. ]

If it is solely just Adobe (other vendor's apps all loading fast) then not as likely it is a macOS 'thing'. If you have a 'scary' number of plug-ins so large that don't want to touch them to install , then there is a pretty good chance it is stale plug-in problem. Similarly is the "so old , don't want to install Adobe CS ... just boot old clone on new machine" approach. If going far out of your way to always avoid installers this can lead to OS / app mismatch problems.
[ Can into a mismatch problem other way if Adobe CS is too new for too old an macOS ... although that is more rare as normal Adobe installer should have caught that. ]

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Photoshop launches in 5 seconds on my 7.1. 16 core CPU, 96GB ram, RX6800XT. I think I posted a few years ago, that IMHO, your issues might be related to the RX5700. When I had an RX5700 my machine was very unstable. Since I've had the RX6800XT, a bit over 2 years now, I have not had a crash or panic.

Lou

Reactions: choreo

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I have felt a noticeable difference when I moved my OS from the internal SSD to a Samsung 990 Pro NVME on my NVME PCIE controller card. I primarily use Premiere Pro. Perhaps this is something to consider that could help.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
What are the settings for the Adobe apps to aggressively grab RAM. [ Can use Activity Monitor to watch if launch causes a huge 'RAM hog' event. ]

No apps should be on RAID 0. IF talking about the internal Apple SSD , then there is only ONE SSD present , there is no way it can be RAID 0 ( need more than one device to be RAID 0). The single Apple SSD has two subcomponents, but those are not themselves SSD, nor RAID 0 in any classic sense.

It isn't really 'NVRAM' either in the normal sense of that word usage either.

For the Apple SSD and if you have a back-up of the SSD . A decent sanity-check is to boot into recovery mode and run Disk First Aid on the boot/os/app drive. [ Given other apps work OK. the SSD is working but if the Adobe folder's metadata is screwed up, it might act quirky. Not the most likely root cause problem though. ]

1. Which versions of Adobe Creative Suite and which version of MacOS ?

2. See "Indentifying Problematic Plug-ins" here

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

Try running 'cleaner' Adobe apps (adobe only). If the problem goes away ... it is likely based in the pile of plug-ins. If just plain CS has problems then some shared Adobe library is a more likely culprit. [ Same adobe apps have a 'safe mode' which similarly reduces complexity of the running app. When the Adobe extension loader thinks there is a problem it make invoke 'safe mode' , but that tends to be a large mismatches. ]

If it is solely just Adobe (other vendor's apps all loading fast) then not as likely it is a macOS 'thing'. If you have a 'scary' number of plug-ins so large that don't want to touch them to install , then there is a pretty good chance it is stale plug-in problem. Similarly is the "so old , don't want to install Adobe CS ... just boot old clone on new machine" approach. If going far out of your way to always avoid installers this can lead to OS / app mismatch problems.
[ Can into a mismatch problem other way if Adobe CS is too new for too old an macOS ... although that is more rare as normal Adobe installer should have caught that. ]
Several things for me to look into.

All my apps are on a Sonnet PCI card with (4) 1TB Samsung NVMe blades set to Raid 0 (https://www.sonnettech.com/product/m2-4x4-pcie-card/overview.html)

I only use the Apple Installed SSDs for the OS.

Running latest version of Monterey and latest version of CS.

If it were Photoshop plugins, why would that cause all my other Adobe apps to launch slow with no plugins?

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have felt a noticeable difference when I moved my OS from the internal SSD to a Samsung 990 Pro NVME on my NVME PCIE controller card. I primarily use Premiere Pro. Perhaps this is something to consider that could help.
Would there be any advantage to me switching to the Samsung 990's? I currently have (4) Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSDs?

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Would there be any advantage to me switching to the Samsung 990's? I currently have (4) Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSDs?
Given why you're looking into this, it's probably worth it.

I primarily switched to the 990 Pro 2TB for the IOPs speed performance for feeling improvements in everyday use cases like apps launching faster, etc. All reviews pointed it to being the "snappiest" NVME drive currently.

It has certainly felt faster. I've had adobe apps launch without the icon not bouncing after the initial click in the dock. And app loading has felt faster. I just have never counted the timing so can't give you a definitive at the moment.

One surprise I found was having this boot on one slot and the other 3 slots running as a NVME RAID 0 for video editing on my Highpoint NVME controller card, is that my external RAID 0 set no longer ejects at times when I put the computer to sleep. I'm guessing its because the controller card never fully shuts down with the boot OS on there.

I now use the stock 1TB SSD of the Mac Pro primarily as the media cache for these programs.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Several things for me to look into.

All my apps are on a Sonnet PCI card with (4) 1TB Samsung NVMe blades set to Raid 0 (https://www.sonnettech.com/product/m2-4x4-pcie-card/overview.html)

a stripe of 4 is 4x more likely to have metadata/data corruption or a catastrophic fail as a single drive. ( an say the single drive percentage failure is very low so 4x a very small number is still small. but it is also still 4x). For better or worse the best that Disk First Aid can do with a APFS drive is check to see if the metadata is corrupted.

If it were Photoshop plugins, why would that cause all my other Adobe apps to launch slow with no plugins?

I wasn't trying to imply that it could only be Photoshop plugins. I just wasn't trying to track down all of the various help docs on Adobe site about the variations on turning off , handling extensions. It is more so a starting point.

That said though. Adobe has long track record of centralized extension handling.

Extension Manager CC

Unified Plugin Installer Agent

If all the apps call the some 'extension manager' to stumble through a long , corrupted list of extensions ... the problem could spread to all of the apps. Just one of several common denominator libraries that the apps all use that if the library gets 'borked' then that propagates into all the apps that use the shared library.

[ Similarly related issues if 'hide' the extensions from where apps/manager would look by default, there can be lots of rummaging around on the file system trying to gather stuff. ]

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I swapped out my (4) Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSDs for 990 Pros? Would there be any market to try and sell my 970's? If so what would be a reasonable asking price?

I do not see any noticeable speed gains in the benchmark tests since the swap,, but it went smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.