Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
At least it's not MS making a standard, that always gets me jumpy when they do that. I think that this is a great idea, and if it works with my PowerShot S45, I might start shooting RAW format. Digital Negative Standard... good thing they aren't calling it DNS! :eek: :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Why is it that Adobe are consistently setting high standards?
What is it about this company that others can't seem to match?

This sounds like a good idea, and if they can get MS and half-a-dozen or more big camera manufacturers on board then it could take off.

However, I wonder what DRM scheme it might have embedded in it.

(Can't wait to try importing one of these into Quark 9.3 and watching it crash...)

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
wasn't adobe getting sued by the owners of "jpeg" or something?! yes it's a good idea anyway, but sounds to me like they are trying to get away from dealing with "jpeg" issues.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I like how it's completely free. No restrictions. See, this is how you do things. I realize it's a little different for Music and Movies, but if you want to create a standard, it should be earned by being good and being easily adopted. And I hope this is widely adopted. Adobe has really earned repsect for this one.

But yeah, it probably has a lot to do with the jpeg thing.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It would most likely put to rest the various incompatible RAW formats, plus JPEG and TIFF wouldn't be quite as necessary. Unfortunately, it might involve a version of EPS. I'm not sure that I want to be locked into any Adobe-specific technologies, free or not.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
mrsebastian said:
wasn't adobe getting sued by the owners of "jpeg" or something?! yes it's a good idea anyway, but sounds to me like they are trying to get away from dealing with "jpeg" issues.

Other way round... the jpeg group tried to sue Adobe.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think that this has the potential to be a very good thing - look at PDF - as long as it is used correctly and Adobe allows input from various organizations to make sure it works as it's supposed to work. As someone who needs to take in camera files from all over, this looks like a step in the right direction.

The question now is going to be how to support this format - I'm sure the next update of Photoshop will, but how long until others can deal with it?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
bousozoku said:
I'm not sure that I want to be locked into any Adobe-specific technologies, free or not.
The Digital Negative Specification has been posted to Adobe's Web site free of any legal restrictions or royalties, enabling integration of the DNG file format into digital cameras, printers, and software products.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
solvs:

Yes, I read that (three times now) and it still doesn't make me any more comfortable. I don't trust Adobe all that much.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
If it really is free of patent/copyright/trademark/trade-secret/etc. restrictions, I'm all for it. But I'm hesitant to trust Adobe when it comes to this.

A lot of us thought GIF and JPEG were free - until the lawsuits started happening years later.

Today, PNG is known to be free and open. What's wrong with people using it? If it's missing some technical feature, Adobe has only to say what it is and I'm sure there will be plenty of people in the open source community that will be glad to add it in. If the camera makers are not supporting PNG for some reason other than technology, then what makes Adobe think they'll be willing to adopt DNG?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
bousozoku said:
Yes, I read that (three times now) and it still doesn't make me any more comfortable. I don't trust Adobe all that much.

Yeah, Adobe is the Microsoft of the creative industry, except that I have at least slightly more confidence in their decision-making ability. They also have worked well with industry groups in the past.

This is not to say that all of this isn't financially motivated by them - right now they have to write filters for every raw format they want to bring into Photoshop, and I'm sure they'll make money off of something eventually (although it won't be like Acrobat). In reality, this is something the industry needs, but no one else has stepped up to do it.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
emw said:
Yeah, Adobe is the Microsoft of the creative industry, except that I have at least slightly more confidence in their decision-making ability. They also have worked well with industry groups in the past.

This is not to say that all of this isn't financially motivated by them - right now they have to write filters for every raw format they want to bring into Photoshop, and I'm sure they'll make money off of something eventually (although it won't be like Acrobat).

True, but that's not a problem for the rest of us...having to deal with multple formats is something all of us has to wrestle with, so solving that problem helps all of us, not just Adobe.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
Im ok with Nikons NEF format for the time being.. I can't imagine that being phased out of photoshop any time soon.. lol

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
gwangung said:
True, but that's not a problem for the rest of us...having to deal with multple formats is something all of us has to wrestle with, so solving that problem helps all of us, not just Adobe.

Don't get me wrong - standardization is my job. I'm just saying that I'm sure Adobe's intentions weren't purely altruistic when they made this a freely available standard. And I don't really care - good ideas should make the people who think of them some extra cash.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Adobe has set the way we do photo editing anymore, creating a Universal standard sounds like they know which way they're heading in the real world. JPEG has been around a long time, so if they can do a better job at compression and realistic looking pictures, then I say go for it, but if its just a few changes and an extra extension then why do we need it.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
I think some people are missing the point of this new format.
It isn't intended to replace jpg. It's aimed at replacing camera RAW formats.
Currently each manufacturer has ther own raw format. That is how the image is stored straight off the sensor with minimal manipulation.
Adobe produce filters to allow photoshop to read these raw formats.
Now isn't it easier for Adobe to put out a standerd and get the camera manufacturers to use that rather than messing about with all these filters to do the same job?
It also means images stored in this format would hopefully have a longer shelf life. The last thing you want is your raw images to be unreadable by any software in a couple of years time :eek:

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
techgeek said:
I think some people are missing the point of this new format.
It isn't intended to replace jpg. It's aimed at replacing camera RAW formats.
Presumably, this means it is a lossless codec. Otherwise it's useless to replace raw formats.
techgeek said:
Currently each manufacturer has ther own raw format. That is how the image is stored straight off the sensor with minimal manipulation.
Adobe produce filters to allow photoshop to read these raw formats.
Now isn't it easier for Adobe to put out a standerd and get the camera manufacturers to use that rather than messing about with all these filters to do the same job?
But my comment still applies - why not use PNG. This is already an open standard that supports both lossless and lossy encodings. It supports everything that Adobe's press release claims as DNG's advantage, except that Adobe isn't in charge of it.

Furthermore, since PNG supports both lossy and lossless encodings, a camera using it can eliminate JPG and make the firmware smaller. (Just about every web browser and image-reading program made today supports PNG, so compatibility shouldn't be a major concern anymore.)
techgeek said:
It also means images stored in this format would hopefully have a longer shelf life. The last thing you want is your raw images to be unreadable by any software in a couple of years time :eek:
Sure. But I'd rather future-proof my documents with an open standard (like PNG) instead of an Adobe-proprietary standard. Even with free distribution of the standard, Adobe still owns it.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
shamino said:
But my comment still applies - why not use PNG.
Ignore my previous post. I finally got around to reading the spec more closely.

This format appears to be very different from all other image file formats (even lossless ones). If I read the spec correctly, it stores a camera's red/green/blue sub-pixels separately and does not combine them into whole pixels (which JPG, PNG, TIFF and most other formats use). So the data more accurately reflects the layout of a camera's CCD element.

I still think they could get this feature via an extension to PNG or TIFF without needing to create a whole new format. They probably decided that it's easier to just release something and say "my way or the highway" than to submit drafts to a standards body to add a feature to an existing spec.

techgeek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2004
UK
I havn't got around to reading the spec (not sure I'm that interested) but I assume it's some kind of "bit bucket" where the literal raw data off of the sensor gets shoved.
Adobe have the advantage of having looked through all the propriatry raw formats for the existing filters. I guess they spotted a lot of commonalities between them all and thought "blow this for a game of soldiers! Lets make our own version".
:D
Can't blame them really.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
shamino said:
Ignore my previous post. I finally got around to reading the spec more closely.

This format appears to be very different from all other image file formats (even lossless ones). If I read the spec correctly, it stores a camera's red/green/blue sub-pixels separately and does not combine them into whole pixels (which JPG, PNG, TIFF and most other formats use). So the data more accurately reflects the layout of a camera's CCD element.

I still think they could get this feature via an extension to PNG or TIFF without needing to create a whole new format. They probably decided that it's easier to just release something and say "my way or the highway" than to submit drafts to a standards body to add a feature to an existing spec.

The RAW format is exactly what you said - a means to capture exactly what the camera saw, as opposed to a compressed or interpreted version of the image. Hence why it's called "RAW".

As for making an extension to PNG or TIFF - don't know why that would be any better - I don't know that those formats adequately address the needs handled by the RAW format.

They really haven't said "my way or the highway" - since camera manufacturers have the option not to participate, but I commend them for at least trying to address the problem with some sort of proposal. Sure, it's governed by Adobe for now, but the fact that they have made it open means that anyone can write to it, and they can't go and change it haphazardly, especially once camera manufacturers get on the program.

Sure, I'm not into being tied into one company for "standards," but I think Adobe does a fairly good job of keeping users' needs in mind and working well with industry standards groups.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
emw said:
As for making an extension to PNG or TIFF - don't know why that would be any better - I don't know that those formats adequately address the needs handled by the RAW format.
These, like JPG, MOV, WMA/WMV, and most other modern formats are "container" formats. A file can contain data encoded with a wide variety of different codecs, and sometimes (in the case of TIFF) multiple encodings in a single file.

Each codec is pretty much independant, but the file-container specifies a standard way to search for and identify them.

So for example, you could produce a "fat" TIFF that contains RAW, lossless-compressed RGB, and JPG, along with thumbnail views and other information.

When applications read the file, they can pick the version they want. Presumably an app like the Finder would fetch the thumbnail (to generate the icon), a web browser would pick the JPG, and Photoshop would pick the RAW data.

uzombie

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2004
What about Kodak's DCS format? I've been using the DCS plugin and pulling the large files without complaint. And I have color info, ...

And don't be so sure about MS...Adobe sleeps with anyone that will get it an advantage. Look at OpenType for example. How many print firms, designers, etc, have agreed to throw away thousands of dollars worth of Type 2 PS fonts for 1/160th the amount of OT fonts? If Adobe offered a conversion program, great. But no. Make more money off type. ($300 for a font library of one typeface???)

Look, I am on a soapbox right now and yes, kinda grumbly. But my reason is, didn't Adobe pretty much flipoff Jobs when he wanted to use Adobe Display Postscript (they refused) and he went Quartz instead? Hasn't Adobe flipped us off by NOT releasing a OS X Adobe Type Manager Deluxe? What about Photoshop courses that push use on PC and not Mac? (read MacInTouch user). Or dumping Framemaker. Or trying to force GoLive when Dreamweaver was a better prog? How about how every new version of Illustrator isn't working with last version files (without some grief...)?

Its ok to be skeptical...

(PS, I like OT font..simpler and works on both platforms..but I have much invested in PS libraries to not justify replacing them)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.